Which proposed road law changes do you support?

Lower the legal blood alcohol limit from 80mg per 100ml to 50mg per 100ml.
52%
Leave the alcohol limit and increase the severity of penalties for drink drivers.
42%
Raise the driving age to 16 or 17 and the learner licence period from six to 12 months.
73%
Introduce a zero alcohol limit for drivers under 20.
76%
Roadside drug testing.
53%
Compulsory third-party insurance.
86%
Upgrade black spots to make them safer.
44%
Change the give-way rule for turning traffic. Traffic turning right would have to give way to traffic turning left into the same road.
51%
Create more 80km and 90km zones on high-risk rural roads.
33%
More speed cameras and red light cameras.
35%
Higher demerit points for speeding.
34%
Publish the safety ratings of heavy vehicle operators.
43%
Make it an offence to drive while fatigued.
22%

Total voters : 86

Re: Proposed Road Law Changes - What Do You Like?

Postby Oli on Thu 20/Aug/09 5:51pm

RJD wrote:
thorg wrote:
RJD wrote:
DogsBollocks wrote:But they are clear, otherwise people wouldn't be bitching about them. They are rules, they are in the road code and the only reasons they don't work is human error

There, that's the point, yes there clear, but there complex and leaves 4 or more divers making assumptions about what other drivers are making assumptions about. In situations that don't leave a lot of time to think things through.

You need the rules to be simple so anyone can make a quick, correct, decision at the time.
the rule IS simple. if you are turning left, give way to trafic coming across you path from the right. simple.

Thats unrealistic.

I'm turning left.
Theres an oncoming car turning right.

I should give way.

But theres a car behind me, he can get past (prehaps?) so the oncoming car may not turn, so hey I can!

Theoncoming car has a car behind them too, but they dont know if the car infront can turn or not, they have right of way but may not be able to due to the oncoming car going straight on.

And that car's not sure if the car in front will turn, or the car turing right will go or not.

Add on to that your supposed to pull over to the left if its busy (to turn right) and the dual carridgeway stuff and its a nightmare.

I understand the rule, I've driven in other countries ( 300k+ miles in the UK) and in LHD countries (lived in Spain for 3 years), this is the single dumbest rule I've encountered.

Hear hear.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby crazychris on Thu 20/Aug/09 6:07pm

Chickenman wrote:
crazychris wrote:
Chickenman wrote:Don't worry I totally get the rule. In fact there a very simple rule to remember that I was taught when I went for driving lessons through the AA. 'When turning, if the other vehicle is going to hit the drivers door, give way. If they'll hit the passengers door, proceed.'

I believe that is the rule insurance companies use to determine fault. Dents on the drivers side = their fault, passengers side = their fault.

So it's always their fault :thumbsup:

hehe, yes it is.

drivers side = your fault, passengers side = their fault.

there are some exceptions, but as a general rule, it's pretty good and covers maybe 80% of blame assignments
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby znomit on Thu 20/Aug/09 6:19pm

crazychris wrote:
Chickenman wrote:
crazychris wrote:
Chickenman wrote:Don't worry I totally get the rule. In fact there a very simple rule to remember that I was taught when I went for driving lessons through the AA. 'When turning, if the other vehicle is going to hit the drivers door, give way. If they'll hit the passengers door, proceed.'

I believe that is the rule insurance companies use to determine fault. Dents on the drivers side = their fault, passengers side = their fault.

So it's always their fault :thumbsup:

hehe, yes it is.

drivers side = your fault, passengers side = their fault.

there are some exceptions, but as a general rule, it's pretty good and covers maybe 80% of blame assignments

And on a bike both sides are the drivers side. :paranoid:
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 20/Aug/09 6:20pm

those law proposals are nice and i like poodles
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby RussS on Thu 20/Aug/09 6:36pm

I was going to make a few counter-points to various posts but after wading through all of them decided it was probably a waste of time as some people are more than happy to put the blame on the other guy without actually knowing why.

I'll just pick a few of the suggestions

1. Lower blood/alcohol limit - good idea, but penalties have to be appropriate. Far too many repeat offenders are getting behind the wheel while suspended ... maybe those cars are good for the crusher?

2. Raise driving age - Hell yes. Start driver theory at 15, but they don't get behind the wheel until 16 (and only with a fully licenced driver) and then on a limited at 17. Limited means no passengers after dark and off roads by 10pm unless returning home from work, with full licence at 18.

3. 0 alcohol limit until the new drinking age of 20 - for sure.

4. Compulsory 3rd party insurance - yup, as mentioned proof of insurance needed to register car.

5. Change the give way rule - YES. For the life of me I can not figure out what idiot came up with that one as it goes against any give way rules I can think of in other countries and I have driven in more than a few countries.

6. More speed & red light cameras - Red light cameras yes, but speed cameras are only revenue gatherers and do nothing to reduce the road toll.

Some of the others have possibilities, but I don''t think most of them will really make much of a difference.
RussS
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby Chickenman on Thu 20/Aug/09 6:42pm

shmoodiver wrote:those law proposals are nice and i like poos

gross
Chickenman
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 20/Aug/09 6:49pm

Chickenman wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:those law proposals are nice and i like poos

gross

we had a discussion about maturity yesterday chicken :hmmm:
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby Chickenman on Thu 20/Aug/09 6:52pm

NO U R
Chickenman

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 20/Aug/09 6:57pm

o o o lets pretend this is a phone so i can hang*click* :D
shmoodiver

Postby Chickenman on Thu 20/Aug/09 7:01pm

:lol:
Chickenman

Postby nzmatto on Thu 20/Aug/09 9:07pm

RussS wrote:6. More speed & red light cameras - Red light cameras yes, but speed cameras are only revenue gatherers and do nothing to reduce the road toll.

Speed cameras help keep taxes down. If they install enough of them the Police could become profitable!!! I agree that they are not helpful in reducing the road toll. The biggest earning cameras are in areas where accidents least happen. The road toll has been coming down since we (taxpayers) started paying for roads to get sorted out and as cars have become better / safer.

Oh and thanks for explaining the left hand turn rule a few pages back. It makes sense now.
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby znomit on Fri 21/Aug/09 12:54pm

How about "the bigger vehicle is always at fault". Seems to work well in Thailand.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Tama on Wed 9/Sep/09 5:47am

Online survey from the Ministry of Transport: http://www.transport.govt.nz/saferjourn ... tives.aspx

This is important if you want to be heard
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Cars | Motoring | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts