Which proposed road law changes do you support?

Lower the legal blood alcohol limit from 80mg per 100ml to 50mg per 100ml.
45
52%
Leave the alcohol limit and increase the severity of penalties for drink drivers.
36
42%
Raise the driving age to 16 or 17 and the learner licence period from six to 12 months.
63
73%
Introduce a zero alcohol limit for drivers under 20.
65
76%
Roadside drug testing.
46
53%
Compulsory third-party insurance.
74
86%
Upgrade black spots to make them safer.
38
44%
Change the give-way rule for turning traffic. Traffic turning right would have to give way to traffic turning left into the same road.
44
51%
Create more 80km and 90km zones on high-risk rural roads.
28
33%
More speed cameras and red light cameras.
30
35%
Higher demerit points for speeding.
29
34%
Publish the safety ratings of heavy vehicle operators.
37
43%
Make it an offence to drive while fatigued.
19
22%
 
Total voters : 86

Re: Proposed Road Law Changes - What Do You Like?

Postby RJD on Thu 20/Aug/09 3:29pm

Yes the current rule works, but thres a simpler rule that works better, and would prevent accidents, so why not use it? It wont be a big change and people will take to it fine.

Also have the riddiculous situation where on a dual lane road you can have both lanes blocked by turning cars..
RJD
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Re: Proposed Road Law Changes - What Do You Like?

Postby thorg on Thu 20/Aug/09 3:33pm

RJD wrote:Yes the current rule works, but thres a simpler rule that works better, and would prevent accidents, so why not use it? It wont be a big change and people will take to it fine.

Also have the riddiculous situation where on a dual lane road you can have both lanes blocked by turning cars..

now THERE is a decent reason to bin it!

the current rule is simple - but no -one uses it correctly.

If I make the assumption that the same mongtards that cant comprehend the current situation or chose to ignore it will do the same with any new system. i doubt it will have any measurable effect on road accidents, and if it did, it would be near impossible to attribute it to any 1 thing (such as the rule change itself).

though this is also no reason not to move to a better system.
thorg
User avatar
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Re: Proposed Road Law Changes - What Do You Like?

Postby RJD on Thu 20/Aug/09 3:37pm

New system will have less mongtards thinking.

Left turner doesnt have to think, just turns.

Car behind them doesnt have to think, knows the car ahead can turn, so can either drive round or keep speed up knowing the car wont bein the way.

Car turning right still has to think, but its an easy is anything in the way yes/no thought.

So given people arnt machines, tend to think, this involves less thinking for less people and therefore less chance of mistakes.
RJD
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Re: Proposed Road Law Changes - What Do You Like?

Postby DogsBollocks on Thu 20/Aug/09 3:41pm

RJD wrote:Yes the current rule works, but thres a simpler rule that works better, and would prevent accidents, so why not use it? It wont be a big change and people will take to it fine.

Also have the riddiculous situation where on a dual lane road you can have both lanes blocked by turning cars..


:rolleyes: mate, that's just it. It's simple, tards understand it but don't use it properly. So why change it to something that's simple, people understand but still have the opportunity to fuck up as much as they have this one.

It's the same old story, small minority of tards can't do it so a small minority of clever bastards try to fix it while the majority sit there and watch them fuck up something that ain't really broke. :crazy:
DogsBollocks
User avatar
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Re: Proposed Road Law Changes - What Do You Like?

Postby thorg on Thu 20/Aug/09 3:42pm

RJD wrote:New system will have less mongtards thinking.

Left turner doesnt have to think, just turns.

Car behind them doesnt have to think, knows the car ahead can turn, so can either drive round or keep speed up knowing the car wont bein the way.

Car turning right still has to think, but its an easy is anything in the way yes/no thought.

So given people arnt machines, tend to think, this involves less thinking for less people and therefore less chance of mistakes.
just when you make something idiot proof, they build a better idiot.

Just as the current law is simple and only gets complicated when people make assumptions - so will every other law. people jumping greens are assuming people wont run reds - law is even computer controlled ( no judgement/thinking required) and humans fuck it up.
thorg
User avatar
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Re: Proposed Road Law Changes - What Do You Like?

Postby Chickenman on Thu 20/Aug/09 3:47pm

thorg wrote:
Chickenman wrote:But at the time of making the decision, the way is clear. I'm making the assumption that the straight ahead travelling car will wait patiently behind the left turning car.

Personally, I'd rather not take that risk, especially if I'm on my bike.
you have defeated your own arguement. As you say, the way is only clear based upon your assumption of anothers drivers actions (and yes, in pure semantics so is every decision, but you know what I mean).

Consider if the left turning vehicle was not there - would it be safe to turn right in front of that oncoming vehicle? do not assume they will even slow for the left turning vehicle, until you see them stationary, or in a position that they can no longer hit you - give way.


Don't worry I totally get the rule. In fact there a very simple rule to remember that I was taught when I went for driving lessons through the AA. 'When turning, if the other vehicle is going to hit the drivers door, give way. If they'll hit the passengers door, proceed.'
Chickenman
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Re: Proposed Road Law Changes - What Do You Like?

Postby RJD on Thu 20/Aug/09 3:48pm

Yes, so you build the rules to give fewer humans a smaller chance to fuck up.

I dont think they make better idiots in the UK yet I didnt see anywhere near the same number of issues on this because they have a beter rule. Evidence and experience says the rule is a poor 2nd.
RJD
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Re: Proposed Road Law Changes - What Do You Like?

Postby DogsBollocks on Thu 20/Aug/09 3:51pm

Chickenman wrote:
thorg wrote:
Chickenman wrote:But at the time of making the decision, the way is clear. I'm making the assumption that the straight ahead travelling car will wait patiently behind the left turning car.

Personally, I'd rather not take that risk, especially if I'm on my bike.
you have defeated your own arguement. As you say, the way is only clear based upon your assumption of anothers drivers actions (and yes, in pure semantics so is every decision, but you know what I mean).

Consider if the left turning vehicle was not there - would it be safe to turn right in front of that oncoming vehicle? do not assume they will even slow for the left turning vehicle, until you see them stationary, or in a position that they can no longer hit you - give way.


Don't worry I totally get the rule. In fact there a very simple rule to remember that I was taught when I went for driving lessons through the AA. 'When turning, if the other vehicle is going to hit the drivers door, give way. If they'll hit the passengers door, proceed.'


:lol: brilliant, never heard that. :D
DogsBollocks
User avatar
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Re: Proposed Road Law Changes - What Do You Like?

Postby thorg on Thu 20/Aug/09 3:55pm

Chickenman wrote:
thorg wrote:
Chickenman wrote:But at the time of making the decision, the way is clear. I'm making the assumption that the straight ahead travelling car will wait patiently behind the left turning car.

Personally, I'd rather not take that risk, especially if I'm on my bike.
you have defeated your own arguement. As you say, the way is only clear based upon your assumption of anothers drivers actions (and yes, in pure semantics so is every decision, but you know what I mean).

Consider if the left turning vehicle was not there - would it be safe to turn right in front of that oncoming vehicle? do not assume they will even slow for the left turning vehicle, until you see them stationary, or in a position that they can no longer hit you - give way.


Don't worry I totally get the rule. In fact there a very simple rule to remember that I was taught when I went for driving lessons through the AA. 'When turning, if the other vehicle is going to hit the drivers door, give way. If they'll hit the passengers door, proceed.'
I think most people 'get' the rule. It's really not difficult. It becomes complicated in peoples mind when they look at the 1 million things that might happen and act on those assumptions. We all do it (me included) - so it comes as no surprise that we have so many accidents at intersections. most of it is attitude (imo) - we are impatient fuckers once in the protective shell of steel - and will agressivly assert our authoritar onto other road users. This is why I think changing the rule wont have any real effect in NZ (and why it becomes irrelivant to compare NZ to other countries etc) - as the problem is NOT with the rules - but with the NZ drivers inability to slow/calm the fuck down obey the rules.
thorg
User avatar
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Re: Proposed Road Law Changes - What Do You Like?

Postby DogsBollocks on Thu 20/Aug/09 3:57pm

RJD wrote:Yes, so you build the rules to give fewer humans a smaller chance to fuck up.

I dont think they make better idiots in the UK yet I didnt see anywhere near the same number of issues on this because they have a beter rule. Evidence and experience says the rule is a poor 2nd.


And I wouldn't mind putting a dollar on your "Evidence and experience" in the UK causing a few near misses in NZ coz you know better ;)
DogsBollocks
User avatar
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Re: Proposed Road Law Changes - What Do You Like?

Postby crazychris on Thu 20/Aug/09 3:59pm

Chickenman wrote:Don't worry I totally get the rule. In fact there a very simple rule to remember that I was taught when I went for driving lessons through the AA. 'When turning, if the other vehicle is going to hit the drivers door, give way. If they'll hit the passengers door, proceed.'

I believe that is the rule insurance companies use to determine fault. Dents on the drivers side = their fault, passengers side = their fault.
crazychris
User avatar
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Re: Proposed Road Law Changes - What Do You Like?

Postby neels on Thu 20/Aug/09 4:55pm

Chickenman wrote:Don't worry I totally get the rule. In fact there a very simple rule to remember that I was taught when I went for driving lessons through the AA. 'When turning, if the other vehicle is going to hit the drivers door, give way. If they'll hit the passengers door, proceed.'

That's what my dad told me, that's what I've told my son who has just got his learners. Now we drive around town and he says "Wasn't that person supposed to give way, you would have hit their drivers side if you hadn't stopped"
neels
User avatar
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Re: Proposed Road Law Changes - What Do You Like?

Postby Chickenman on Thu 20/Aug/09 5:00pm

crazychris wrote:
Chickenman wrote:Don't worry I totally get the rule. In fact there a very simple rule to remember that I was taught when I went for driving lessons through the AA. 'When turning, if the other vehicle is going to hit the drivers door, give way. If they'll hit the passengers door, proceed.'

I believe that is the rule insurance companies use to determine fault. Dents on the drivers side = their fault, passengers side = their fault.


So it's always their fault :thumbsup:
Chickenman
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Re: Proposed Road Law Changes - What Do You Like?

Postby dicks-naughty-account on Thu 20/Aug/09 5:12pm

I think drink driving penalties are sad. i was watching police 10/7. a guy was over the alcolol limit, he did all the tests and failed etc. he received an $80 fine and walked home. whist he may not have been over by much, he was still over. $80 is a pathetic fine when you consider that drink driving is possibly one of the biggest death tarps in this country. driving on a restricted license with a friend innocently in the passenger seat will get you fined $400. call me a whining teen if you want, but i don't see much of a match here.

also, under 20's should indeed have a zero/extremely low alcolol test tolerance. a 17 year old girl can get pissed off her face on two standard drinks. one standard drink will still surely mess her up, yet she may still pass a breathalyser test.

yes, give way rule is rubbish, nothing to add.

Don't know how this fatigue law would be fairly measured, but i have two mates that have written off cars from falling asleep, a third came scarily close. perhaps if they had more of an incentive to sleep (eg. the thought of a hefty fine) they wouldn't have driven.
dicks-naughty-account
User avatar
"WRANGLER BUTTS DRIVE ME NUTS"
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Re: Proposed Road Law Changes - What Do You Like?

Postby Oli on Thu 20/Aug/09 5:50pm

RJD wrote:
DogsBollocks wrote:But they are clear, otherwise people wouldn't be bitching about them. They are rules, they are in the road code and the only reasons they don't work is human error


There, that's the point, yes there clear, but there complex and leaves 4 or more divers making assumptions about what other drivers are making assumptions about. In situations that don't leave a lot of time to think things through.

You need the rules to be simple so anyone can make a quick, correct, decision at the time.
I'm with you RJD. The law exists and works in every other country in the world, and it should be the same here. And to all who say that we'll have trouble relearning, I put it to you that if Australians can learn it without difficulty it should be a breeze for Kiwis. :thumbsup:
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Cars | Motoring | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts

Who is online

51 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 48 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles

cron