Postby CaseyKing on Thu 30/Aug/07 7:24am

there are a few pines, nothing worth logging for value realy, also lots of wattle. I was also thinking that the local politechnic that trains people in logging opperations could go up there and do their thing. i'll do some ringing round on friday
CaseyKing
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Giantman on Thu 30/Aug/07 10:42pm

how many trees are there
could they be felled piled and burned
Giantman
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Kyle on Fri 31/Aug/07 6:01am

Get some of the groms in to drag felled trees out so they can be sold off as firewood?
Sounds like a good way to fund the building of structures/ hiring power tools or whatever. Black wattles especially make good firewood.
Kyle
"Rated R for pervasive extreme drug use and related bizarre behavior, strong language, and brief nudity"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby CaseyKing on Sat 1/Sep/07 3:44pm

DOC wanted NO fires to be lit up there. They suggested getting in a chipper after the fire wood has been taken and throwing the chippings down the bank.
I suggested the cutting and selling the firewood by the local bikers for funds, but people doing any cutting with chainsaws, brushcutters etc need a licence. Also there will be no structures built as there are more problems involved there. Dirt is all we need.
Thanks guys :D
CaseyKing

Postby leeman on Sat 1/Sep/07 4:04pm

sweet :) Thanks :thumbsup:
leeman
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby mtbboy666 on Sat 1/Sep/07 9:38pm

sweet so when the first dig day/clean up?
mtbboy666
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby CaseyKing on Sun 2/Sep/07 6:39am

Hopefully Mike ploted the area on saturday. We then have to take that to DOC along with the plan of exactly what we are going to do. That should be done in a week. DOC are planning to do the digging when the ground has dried up some.
CaseyKing

Postby Giantman on Mon 3/Sep/07 11:14am

a 9 inch chipper hired from hire quip is $2000 a week roughlyand u gota fuel it and fed it best bet would be chop the wood sell for fire wood use the money to pay for a big whole tree chipper thats fed with a digger
Giantman

Postby AllyBallyBee on Mon 3/Sep/07 1:42pm

Casey says he rung one guy who didn't have a ticket and he's waiting to hear from the polyech guys to see if they can help.
He says thanks man for the suggestions.

(I'm on the phone to him at work)
AllyBallyBee
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby CaseyKing on Thu 20/Sep/07 8:37am

Had a verbal quote from a company of $20,000 to clear and chip all the trees!!!!!!!. whilst Miles from papatoa tree felling college will be pleased to train his students whilst cutting down all the trees, but then we'll have to remove them. I'm going in to see some of the local maori elders tomorrow and see if they can lend us some easier land to work with for this community project.
CaseyKing

Postby NzO on Thu 20/Sep/07 9:36am

$20,000... that's a decent sum of money.
If the college cut the trees down, would they be able cut them into smaller sections? So that we could either use them in the building of the tracks, or truck them out?
NzO
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby mtbboy666 on Thu 20/Sep/07 11:36am

wow 20k thats alot!!!!!!!!
mtbboy666

Postby Datsane on Thu 20/Sep/07 11:43am

CaseyKing wrote: Had a verbal quote from a company of $20,000 to clear and chip all the trees!!!!!!!. whilst Miles from papatoa tree felling college will be pleased to train his students whilst cutting down all the trees, but then we'll have to remove them. I'm going in to see some of the local maori elders tomorrow and see if they can lend us some easier land to work with for this community project.
People love free firewood
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby mtbboy666 on Thu 20/Sep/07 11:50am

Datsane wrote:
CaseyKing wrote: Had a verbal quote from a company of $20,000 to clear and chip all the trees!!!!!!!. whilst Miles from papatoa tree felling college will be pleased to train his students whilst cutting down all the trees, but then we'll have to remove them. I'm going in to see some of the local maori elders tomorrow and see if they can lend us some easier land to work with for this community project.
People love free firewood
id love free fire wood....
mtbboy666

Postby Giantman on Thu 20/Sep/07 11:14pm

i tried to give fire wood away i put it on the side of the road (so u could just throw it straight in ur car but every one wanted it cut and half wanted it fucking split to, from a arborists perspective and fellow mountain biker, i would go with the $20 grand option it is a lot of money but you have no idea how long it would take to cut it up and truck it away, try and get some form of grant from local council or some thing and maybe just fundraise a lil bit to top it up, i dont know wat the tracks are like but u may have to consider once the big trees are sorted you have got to either clear or create new tracks.
Giantman

Coromandel | Cycling | New Zealand | News | Regions | Thames | Upper North Island | Waikato - Latest Posts