El Presidente Has Some To Say - Please Read

Postby Tama on Sun 23/Nov/03 10:10pm

Greetings All

I'd like to take the opportunity to say some very important words about derogatory posting. Lately there has been a noticeable amount of racist, and sexist posts on these forums - this must stop now.

Vorb is a very large online community - 22,000 different people visited the site over October, and there is over 1,300 registered users, with a couple of hundred of these users being particularly active posters.

While I do not want to be anyone's policeman or babysitter, I am responsible to some extent for what goes on in this website. So I try to keep things as friendly as possible. But the fact of the matter is it is up to you the user to make sure that Vorb is a friendly, happy place where mountain bikers can go to hang out on line.

A couple of things that stop Vorb from being a friendly place:

Racism
Believe it or not, Vorb Web is accessible from any internet connection in the world. This means that we can have people from many different races and countries posting online. When people get on line and start spouting off and starts slamming some ethnic group or country it does the following:
* Makes people in that ethnic group/ country feel uncomfortable
* Send the message that New Zealand mountain bikers are small minded bigots.
* Embarrasses the hell out of me.
As a simple rule, if you're going to make negative statements about ethnic groups on Vorb, don't

Sexism
Half the population of the world is female - fancy that! According to SPARC there is 1 female mountain biker for every 3 male mountain bikers in New Zealand. Women should be able to visit this website without the following:
* Reading posts where women are referred to as "bitches" or "sluts" or other derogatory bullshit.
* Seeing random softcore photos of scantily clad women posted up on a mountain biking website.
* Getting hit on by hormonal users.

In respect to the use of the words "bitches" and "sluts" to describe women, I recently got very sick of this and set up the auto-wrangler to insert suitably amusing alternatives to stop myself from screaming everytime someone posted something like:
Someone on this website actually wrote:I go to school to hook up with Bitches and sluts

However, I'm not a big fan of the autowrangler, even if it does offer cheap laughs - so I've switched it off, and asked female Vorbers to supply a list of terms they don't find offensive, as long as they're used in fun: chicks, birds, babes, hotties, honeys, and lurrvleys.

So - deep breath - lets go back out there and be nice human beings - it ain't hard at all.

Yours, in the continued sacrifice of my sanity to keep this place friendly and funky

Tama Easton

P.S. If you do encounter a post which you find offensive please report it to wranglers@vorb.org.nz - cheers.
Last edited by Tama on Tue 13/Jan/04 7:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 19 years 10 months

Re: El Presidente Has Some To Say - Please Read

Postby DropKick on Sun 23/Nov/03 10:14pm

Tama wrote:Yours, in the continued sacrifice of my sanity to keep this place friendly and funky

:love:
DropKick
Member for: 18 years 7 months

Postby Dinsy on Sun 23/Nov/03 10:16pm

Tama wrote:* Getting hit on by hormonal users.

HAHA

good stuff tama.
Dinsy
Member for: 19 years 5 months

Postby dirtmuncher on Sun 23/Nov/03 10:54pm

Tama wrote:* Seeing random softcore photos of scantily clad women posted up on a mountain biking website.

i put that marzocchi/jenna pic in the pit but if it hasn't been deleted i'll do it :thumbsup:
dirtmuncher
Member for: 18 years 4 months

Postby Tama on Mon 24/Nov/03 8:32am

dirtmuncher wrote:i put that marzocchi/jenna pic in the pit but if it hasn't been deleted i'll do it :thumbsup:

I'm inclined to leave The Pit as the dodgy little nest of filth some of you know and love - I mean if you're trawling around The Pit then you're up to no good anyway. It still disturbs me when people say things like
good to see that mtbers are getting the bitches

about the Jenna pic. Some people have serious Madonna versus Whore problems.

I don't want to turn Vorb into some thought police/ politically correct fun-free-zone but the constant derogatory ravings of late are going too far.
Tama

Postby bugle on Mon 24/Nov/03 8:55am

And dont dis vorbers mums either !!!
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 19 years 6 months

Postby K-Bizzle on Mon 24/Nov/03 10:20am

bugle wrote:And dont dis vorbers mums either !!!
w3rd that got old about 5 years ago
K-Bizzle
Member for: 19 years 6 months

Postby Tama on Mon 24/Nov/03 10:22am

Here's a tip - if you feel like posting something really nasty - just click here - see, doesn't that make everything a lot nicer?
Tama

Postby Tama on Wed 26/Nov/03 7:23pm

Judging by some of the postings I've been deleting tonight some of you need to read this post again.
Tama

Postby Bigfoot on Wed 26/Nov/03 7:27pm

Wow - i havent noticed anything super bad of late - i suppose the wranglers are out in full force. They shouldnt have to be! Sorry that you have to do crap like this tama. keep up the good work :thumbsup:
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 18 years 3 months

Postby Bigfoot on Wed 26/Nov/03 7:29pm

I would wager this falls under that category! :angry:

http://www.vorb.org.nz/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=112792#112792

I mean, come on - its a site about bikes for fucks sake!
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"

dirtmuncher
Member for: 18 years 4 months

Postby psychavoc on Wed 26/Nov/03 7:32pm

bigfoot wrote:its a site about bikes for fucks sake!

as above.

Please guys, the last thing i'm expecting to see on a site about bikes is

1. pictures of the olsen twins (they aren't bikes :eh: )

2. refering to girls as 'pussy'.

There are both guys and girls on this site. Can we please show a bit of respect?!

:angry: :crazy:
Last edited by psychavoc on Wed 26/Nov/03 7:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"

Postby psychavoc on Wed 26/Nov/03 7:35pm

psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Wed 26/Nov/03 7:36pm

psychavoc wrote:1. pictures of the olsen twins (they aren't bikes :eh: )

Cough, bad joke, cough. :blush:
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 19 years 1 month

Sifting - Latest Posts