Re: Be Prepared!!

Postby goldfish on Mon 6/Sep/10 5:54pm

Gots me two massive water containers from the council. Looks like they were doing a very swift trade in them today! :thumbsup:
goldfish
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby WayneG on Mon 6/Sep/10 5:59pm

Just remember where ever you put your kit you need to be able to get to it. If it's in the middle of the house and the house falls down are you still going to be able to get to it? The garden shed is a great place for it or somewhere out side.
WayneG
"Look mum I can fly"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby goldfish on Mon 6/Sep/10 6:09pm

- just not in the garage, especially if you have an electric door, as poor Dr Hassenbank mentioned in the Dom Post today...
goldfish
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Wed 8/Sep/10 9:48am

OK, here's the thing - what the past few days have taught me, and without getting into debates about what & how the authorities should have managed to do, is that in a major disaster scenario such as this you can expect to have to fend for yourself for those first 3 days minimum. The task of getting emergency response up and running, collecting and collating info, making decisions, and diseminating information back out to "the people" is absolutely massive, and the emergency response can not, and will not, be able to help you find out where to buy batteries for your torches & transistor radios, how to find out if aunty Flo is OK, where to go for water, or whether the 2.30 movie at Hoyts is still showing ......

Here in Canterbury it is clear there are massive gaps in communications strategies especially. Even after 3 days things are nothing like "normal service". On the surface functional things like power & water seem good mostly, petrol stations are pumping gas, food supply seems secure, buses are running again ... but we are running short of good sleep & rest and psychologically are very much over it. If you and your whanau are not at least minimally prepared you will be stressed, and that does nobody any good - not your kids, partner / spouse, or neighbours.

There are some fantastic volunteer efforts being coordinated around the place, and for many the "it's a bitch, I can't go to work because my building is cordoned or condemed" joke will wear thin before long .........

* pauses to run to door frame again :crazy:

That's all - keep smiling out there, and think of helping out those less fortunate :)
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Spyder on Wed 8/Sep/10 9:51am

goldfish wrote:Gots me two massive water containers from the council. Looks like they were doing a very swift trade in them today! :thumbsup:

Where etc for these please?
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby Trail on Wed 8/Sep/10 9:54am

Spyder wrote:
goldfish wrote:Gots me two massive water containers from the council. Looks like they were doing a very swift trade in them today! :thumbsup:

Many of the "Plastic Box" or other plastic wharehouse type stores should have food grade jerry cans of 20L or so.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Oli on Wed 8/Sep/10 10:02am

pedalingkiwi wrote:OK, here's the thing - what the past few days have taught me, and without getting into debates about what & how the authorities should have managed to do, is that in a major disaster scenario such as this you can expect to have to fend for yourself for those first 3 days minimum. The task of getting emergency response up and running, collecting and collating info, making decisions, and diseminating information back out to "the people" is absolutely massive, and the emergency response can not, and will not, be able to help you find out where to buy batteries for your torches & transistor radios, how to find out if aunty Flo is OK, where to go for water, or whether the 2.30 movie at Hoyts is still showing ......

Here in Canterbury it is clear there are massive gaps in communications strategies especially. Even after 3 days things are nothing like "normal service". On the surface functional things like power & water seem good mostly, petrol stations are pumping gas, food supply seems secure, buses are running again ... but we are running short of good sleep & rest and psychologically are very much over it. If you and your whanau are not at least minimally prepared you will be stressed, and that does nobody any good - not your kids, partner / spouse, or neighbours.

There are some fantastic volunteer efforts being coordinated around the place, and for many the "it's a bitch, I can't go to work because my building is cordoned or condemed" joke will wear thin before long .........

* pauses to run to door frame again :crazy:

That's all - keep smiling out there, and think of helping out those less fortunate :)
Good on you, G. We're all thinking of you and hoping that your ordeal ends immediately. :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby pissface on Wed 8/Sep/10 10:17am

Spyder wrote:

ok Goldfish is in Wellington, you are in Chch? Wellington you can get them from the service center at the council buildings downtown, and possibly from some libraries. sorry can't help re Chch.
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Wed 8/Sep/10 10:32am

cheers Oli :thumbsup:
had planned to have a bit of sleep in his morning to restore balance but the 7.50am, 5.1 jolt near Heathcote Valley put paid to that :(

Have just been up into roof to check header tank - is sitting on two closely spaced walls, and looks fine, but on my way into work will call by the hardware store for restraining devices to be fitted this evening.
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Tinkerbell on Wed 8/Sep/10 10:45am

I know this sounds a bit silly, but I would seriously consider putting a hipflask of whiskey or something in the emergancy kit too. Not a huge amount of booze, but I don't think I would have coped very well without a few drinks on Saturday and I'm pretty sure it was the only reason I got any sleep. I'm not saying get boozed, but sleep is something that's hard to come by in all the shaking.
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby Rik on Wed 8/Sep/10 10:50am

Tinkerbell wrote:I know this sounds a bit silly, but I would seriously consider putting a hipflask of whiskey or something in the emergancy kit too. Not a huge amount of booze, but I don't think I would have coped very well without a few drinks on Saturday and I'm pretty sure it was the only reason I got any sleep. I'm not saying get boozed, but sleep is something that's hard to come by in all the shaking.

:withstupid:
Here here, Cheers
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby UK_Exile on Wed 8/Sep/10 1:41pm

We failed completely with no battery radio so had to resort to sitting in car for first hour. That was until I realised the laptop was still dial up capable (no power so wireless gone). After a few failed password attempts got it going and streamed a local radio station. Later in day had to jury rig laptop power via a spare car battery :sneaky:
MTB helmets lights came in real handy :p
UK_Exile
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Environment | Sifting - Latest Posts