Spyder wrote:Cell network (XT) stayed up

Shit, really? :D
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Re: Be Prepared!!

Postby Trail on Sun 5/Sep/10 10:22pm

jo wrote:And I should probably do somefink with the header tank.... :huh:

yeh... we are in Chch, and our header tank was concrete. I ripped it out today as it was on the wall above our bed. No hot water now, but at least we are happy to go to sleep in our bed :thumbsup:
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby jo on Sun 5/Sep/10 10:26pm

concrete. :crazy:

Ah, well at least mine being HDPE would hurt less.
And only hit me if I were in the kitchen.
But that there is probably at least 100litres of backup water supplies if I can get it through an earthquake without spilling much.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Trail on Sun 5/Sep/10 10:36pm

Yeh, we have a pretty small house, and initially thought we had been in the right place huddling in the door way of the bedroom. Thinking about it afterwards, the header tank was sitting almost right above us. Having a look at securing it, found out it was made of concrete. :crazy:

Drained it, smashed it to bits and took it out today. Will have to set aside a decent water store now, as the header tank had been what I thought was enough water...
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby goldfish on Sun 5/Sep/10 10:48pm

pedalingkiwi wrote:One thing to think about is grabbing an old-skool (landline) phone that doesn't need electricerty to work

*puts old crappy phone (from Warewhare) in emergency box* :thumbsup:
goldfish
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby goldfish on Mon 6/Sep/10 12:11am

Just went around bluetacking some shit. Just cos I wanted to feel like I was doing something to appease the earthquake gods :paranoid:
goldfish

Postby scatter on Mon 6/Sep/10 5:59am

We got ourselves a solar cellphone charger in one of T7's Clearout the Crap sales. It was well worth having on Saturday.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby nagem on Mon 6/Sep/10 6:12am

I think I shall stay put in the Waikato. You just never know though eh?
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby pissface on Mon 6/Sep/10 9:11am

with powered phones, they do tend to be powered from an adaptor which delivers 9 or 12 volts or so, it would be possible for example to run them off a SLA 12v battery. anyone with homebuilt bike lights should be right for a while :D

there's lots of stuff around the home which would be useful, thing is having them accessible.

also, a portable solar panel can be damn useful, i have one which i take if i am going extended camping, tops up the car batt when the stereo has been on too long, its a bit bigger than a tea tray.

those yellow civil defence 15L water containers are great, a bit hard to fill right to the top with no air bubble (as recommended for water storage) but really good to have containers that are clearly not to be "temporarily" used for something else and they are only like $10 or so from memory

and the other day i picked up a really small portable fire grate from the tip, very useful to be able to burn any old shit lying round, for heat/cooking/whatever.
fireplace.jpg
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby bugle on Mon 6/Sep/10 9:45am

Snap

Went through the emergency stash, first aid kit was a bit light (happens with skaters and MTB riders in the house I spose) and realized we have no cooking apparatus...
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby goldfish on Mon 6/Sep/10 10:05am

Getting some of those big fuck off water thingies from the council today (if they have any left!) and other bits and pieces.
goldfish

Postby happybaboon on Mon 6/Sep/10 10:35am

Been hosing down in Palmerston North for about the last 10 hours... Might be looking at a natural disaster of our very own :huh:
happybaboon

Postby thorg on Mon 6/Sep/10 11:13am

happybaboon wrote:Been hosing down in Palmerston North for about the last 10 hours... Might be looking at a natural disaster of our very own :huh:
how would you tell?
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 6/Sep/10 11:18am

thorg wrote:
happybaboon wrote:Been hosing down in Palmerston North for about the last 10 hours... Might be looking at a natural disaster of our very own :huh:
how would you tell?

:lol:
happybaboon

Postby happybaboon on Mon 6/Sep/10 11:22am

But seriously...
http://www.horizons.govt.nz/managing-en ... er%20Gorge
:huh:

Flow tripled between 5am and 10am, and it's still really pissing down.
happybaboon

Environment | Sifting - Latest Posts