Getting To Know The Gt It1 - Part 3

Postby Tama on Wed 22/Jun/05 9:27am

Getting To Know The GT IT1 - Part 1
Getting To Know The GT IT1 - Part 2
Getting To Know The GT IT1 - Part 3

After a couple of days with the GT IT1 it became apparent that this bike was built for a skilled pilot in the big, rough and fast. With this in mind we twisted Brett (IFR) Costello’s arm and forced him to ride the bike down the infamous Long Gully trails in Wellington New Zealand again and again and again – the poor guy.

For added fun and games ace freelance cameraman Jason Naran came along for the day. The net result – a 1½ minute video clip showing the GT IT1 in action – and a freerider’s view of the IT1.

Brett’s view on the GT IT1:
Being a hardtail rider I really didn't know what to expect as to how the GT IT1 would ride/ jump etc. but after the first roll down the 4WD track towards the top of Long Gully I was already stoked with how it soaked up little bumps and hits. After some playing with suspension clickers (the stock spring was a 350, needless to say for an 85kg rider it was a wee bit on the soft side) it felt ready to go. I figured I’d take one slow run to get used to it but after riding the first piece of singletrail on the Nationals Track I was ready to push it harder and faster.

It felt totally confidence inspiring with the suspension sticking to the ground firm and taking all the stuttery type hits without giving much if any jolt back up to my arms. Jumping the thing was great fun, with the Fox 40's up front being lighter then anything I’ve felt but feeling huge and solid, and the unweighted rear end the bike truly does feel mid weighted and floats in the air like it - very neutral, and I was soon hitting up the Freeride Track with no worries at all. The gearbox was faultless and blew me away with the instant shifting and ability to shift under full sprint with no slippage or delay whatsoever (try that with a derailleur set up :D ). The Shimano brakes are insane and so strong with one finger stoppies easily.

One of the greatest things about the bike are that it does feel like an all round downhill/ freeride bike, it is not amazingly pedal friendly but the gearbox ratios go low enough to get up some hills (if you swing that way) but it feels like it can be raced competitively but is very much solid and strong enough to go and hit up huge drops, jumps and anything else you desire without hassle or fear of breaking it.

Overall, I liked the bike ... even the paintjob grew on me, I liked the ride and with a decent suspension set up for my weight and a few small component changes to make me more comfortable ... stem and bars ... it would be a very nice option for a fully if I were to upgrade to one.

Getting To Know The GT IT1 - Part 1
Getting To Know The GT IT1 - Part 2
Getting To Know The GT IT1 - Part 3
ifr-it1-1.jpg
ifr-it1-2.jpg
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 20 years 0 months

Postby Jono on Wed 22/Jun/05 9:37am

Mmm....nice. Must have another look at those fox 40s at some stage...
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"

Postby thorg on Wed 22/Jun/05 9:45am

And what a classy vid it is!

well done Tama and the crew.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby fox on Wed 22/Jun/05 9:49am

so do u guys get to keep the bike
fox
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby Tama on Wed 22/Jun/05 9:55am

fox wrote:so do u guys get to keep the bike
I'm afraid not - hmmmm... {goes off into fantasy of an endless stream of highend bikes getting delivered to door for nowt} - it's a pretty good idea though.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"

Postby fox on Wed 22/Jun/05 10:04am

what if you break it
( goes into fantasy of free bike parts from tama )
fox
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby goodvibes on Wed 22/Jun/05 10:59am

Really nice vid Tama. Excellent riding from IFR, really smooth. Full credit to him for riding so well on a bike he had just stepped onto. Expect we'll see great things from him in the future. Well done, respect. :D
goodvibes
Member for: 19 years 0 months

Postby betterman on Wed 22/Jun/05 2:32pm

Dam!!!

Great bike, super smooth riding, and spanky video editing! All good.
betterman
Member for: 18 years 1 month

Postby Dinsy on Wed 22/Jun/05 5:05pm

haaaa he threw the shaka
Dinsy
Member for: 19 years 8 months

Postby IntenseFreerider on Wed 22/Jun/05 5:52pm

And just to add to the day's enjoyment somebody decided any pins were not needed in the flat pedals on the bike ... soo needless to say feet staying on was a slight issue !!!
IntenseFreerider
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby giant_rider on Wed 22/Jun/05 6:02pm

do u have anymore pics?

vidio was mint
giant_rider
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Postby spud-bum on Wed 22/Jun/05 6:47pm

man thats a nice looking ride there and IFR riding it just capped it off. good riding there and editing the vid is the shit tama loved the beats.

IFR yeh looked like a pro with all the gt gear on :thumbsup:
spud-bum
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby NFDC_FrEeRiDeR on Wed 22/Jun/05 7:43pm

ohh i wanted to see the pic of him about to crash!
NFDC_FrEeRiDeR
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby K-Bizzle on Wed 22/Jun/05 8:39pm

spud-bum wrote:man thats a nice looking ride there and IFR riding it just capped it off. good riding there and editing the vid is the shit tama loved the beats.

IFR yeh looked like a pro with all the gt gear on :thumbsup:
all the gt gear? what a lycra gt top
K-Bizzle
Member for: 19 years 9 months

Postby Dilated on Wed 22/Jun/05 8:57pm

Primo video! Nice flow to riding. :thumbsup: Very cool indeed.
Dilated
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | News - Latest Posts