Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 7/Apr/17 2:22pm

amb236 wrote:Next problem tho....need to get rid off/swap out everything thats not black component wise haha

It's a false economy, black bikes are boring safe fashion, bright ano mismatch is where it's at.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby amb236 on Wed 26/Apr/17 9:24am

Right, headsets.

I have acquired a new (second band) front fork to fit to my MTB and thought it might be a good chance to upgrade the headset (currently FSA NO.57/61BP, which is OEM spec ball bearing and cage type and last time I serviced it was pretty sad looking). What information do I need to know in order to select the correct headset? Fork and headtube are both standard taper (1 1/2" to 1 1/8"). Will I need to source and replace the crownrace on the fork as well, as I assume these are somewhat specific to each type of headset?

Cheers in advance.
amb236
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby Dougal on Wed 26/Apr/17 10:02am

amb236 wrote:Right, headsets.

I have acquired a new (second band) front fork to fit to my MTB and thought it might be a good chance to upgrade the headset (currently FSA NO.57/61BP, which is OEM spec ball bearing and cage type and last time I serviced it was pretty sad looking). What information do I need to know in order to select the correct headset? Fork and headtube are both standard taper (1 1/2" to 1 1/8"). Will I need to source and replace the crownrace on the fork as well, as I assume these are somewhat specific to each type of headset?

Cheers in advance.

You'll need frame cup dimensions and head-tube type. Internal vs external vs blah blah blah.

Deano from Wideopen is the FSA guy and should have a good way to ID these. They don't sell direct but they can tell you which models to order.
Dougal
Member for: 18 years 6 months

dwgknz
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 27/Apr/17 8:51pm

Dougal wrote:
amb236 wrote:Right, headsets.

Cheers in advance.

You'll need frame cup dimensions and head-tube type. Internal vs external vs blah blah blah.

Deano from Wideopen is the FSA guy and should have a good way to ID these. They don't sell direct but they can tell you which models to order.

You are welcome to email me at work with the above model details of the headset and your make and model of bike and I will easily be able to point you in the direction of what headset /s you will be able to order from your favorite local bike shop

dean at wideopen.co.nz
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 19 years 8 months

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 27/Apr/17 8:52pm

There are combinations of headtube that the above doesn't quite always get right last time I played with it
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby el_booto on Thu 27/Apr/17 9:22pm

pushbikerider wrote:

There are combinations of headtube that the above doesn't quite always get right last time I played with it

didn't FSA come out with one not long ago?
i went looking for it but couldn't find it and gave up looking :huh:
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 27/Apr/17 9:27pm

el_booto wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:

didn't FSA come out with one not long ago?
i went looking for it but couldn't find it and gave up looking :huh:

FSA easy headset is what you are looking for.
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby kavika on Thu 27/Apr/17 9:45pm

Looking at trying out a 170mm Lyrik on the SB6, instead of the 160mm Pike. I'm told the Pike is a 44mm offset/rake, and the Lyrik is 42mm. Any idea if there would be a noticeable handling difference?
I realise when people spend this amount on a bike/gear we should probably have some sort of idea about these things, but as you can see, this isn't the case for me.....

Cheers
kavika
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 27/Apr/17 9:54pm

I noticed switching between 44 & 40mm offset.
Same travel and A-C though.

Didn't like the faster handling of the 44mm as much.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."

Postby kavika on Fri 28/Apr/17 8:55am

Sweet, thanks for the info. Will give it a miss for now and see how the new Luftkappe goes.

Cheers
kavika
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Dougal on Fri 28/Apr/17 10:01am

Velocipedestrian wrote:I noticed switching between 44 & 40mm offset.

I'm considering turning a crown around for a laugh. Might get close to zero offset.
Dougal

Postby Conners on Fri 28/Apr/17 10:16am

Dougal wrote:

I'm considering turning a crown around for a laugh. Might get close to zero offset.

You need to investigate a custom crown for negative offset. The world needs shopping trolley steering on bikes.
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 18 years 5 months

Postby Dougal on Fri 28/Apr/17 10:32am

Conners wrote:
Dougal wrote:

You need to investigate a custom crown for negative offset. The world needs shopping trolley steering on bikes.

You don't get shopping trolley steering until you've got negative trail. Even with slightly negative offset (I haven't checked how offset is in crown vs lowers yet) and a ~70 degree head angle you'll have plenty of trail.

Were you at that CUMBC party in my old flat where Dave (there's always a Dave) had a 10sp with front forks raked out (bent) half a foot out in front?
Sketchiest bike I've ever ridden. Head angle was near vertical and forks had ~200mm offset.

It was like trying to keep a shopping trolley wheel tracking backwards!
Dougal

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sat 29/Apr/17 9:39am

This looks like another opportunity to post this one.
Sketchiest bike I've ever ridden.
Keewee.jpg.jpg
Velocipedestrian

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts