Rim Width

Postby Dougal on Tue 3rd Jan 10:24pm

Who's running what for rim width (internal that is) these days and how do you like it?

I've been running 19-21mm forever, got one bike with 29mm and thinking the sweet spot is about 25-27mm. With ~2.3" rubber.
Your thoughts callers?
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Re: Rim Width

Postby mudguard on Tue 3rd Jan 10:43pm

ENVE do quite a good write up.
http://enve.com/journal/is-wider-always-better/

I'm too lazy to copy their graphs
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby dwgknz on Wed 4th Jan 8:29am

27mm and 2.25 schwalbes. Has been ok but the schwalbes don't last so moving to 2.35 Maxxis
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby gristle on Wed 4th Jan 8:35am

Geez, enve freely mix imperial and metric in their graphs.
I wonder if they do the same in their CAD package; metric for x and y, imperial for z.
gristle
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby Dougal on Wed 4th Jan 9:07am

mudguard wrote:ENVE do quite a good write up.
http://enve.com/journal/is-wider-always-better/

I'm too lazy to copy their graphs

They cover widths and stiffness very well. But no mention of tyre profile.

Back in the day I built up some 40mm wide snow cat rims for a guy and fitted then with 2.3" contis.

It was like pedaling a car because the entire tread surface was laid on the road.
Dougal

Postby phunk on Wed 4th Jan 9:42am

WTB i25 KOM rims with 2.35" Mary F, and 2.4" Ardent R. I wouldn't mind going to a 30mm front rim but wouldn't bother going wider in the rear (ooo errr)
phunk
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 4th Jan 10:16am

30mm on the big bike with 2.5 wide trail minions.... rides and corners good. Slow pedalling but.
25mm on the hardtail with 2.4 mountain king front and 2.4 ardent rear. Pedals real well but I ripped the casing on the rear on an off Camber landing. Reckon the support of a wider rim woulda helped alleviate the roll a bit.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Percy Pig on Wed 4th Jan 11:24am

24.5 inner width Spank Oozy 295 wheels, with 2.3 Minion/ Ikon tyres, on me Range, mint as oi!
23 inner width Spank Spike Race28 wheels, with 2.5 Minion/ Highroller 2 tyres on me Aurum, also mint as oi!
Will go wider on teh Aurum if I ever need to replace the rims, probably to the Race 33, which is 28 inner.
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby mfw on Wed 4th Jan 12:33pm

32mm inner's 26 inch. Love the rims but problem is finding 26in tyres with a round enough profile, unfortunately not much tyre development going on in 26 :(

Been running with 2.5 DHF Minion and 2.35 Han Dampf F/R combo - the latter is ETRTO 60mm and much wider than the minion, and is near clearance limit with my pre-boost 148 frame.
Love the low pressure and traction, but went straight from 19's to these so not tried anything in-between for comparison.
On looks alone the 32mm rim looks well matched to the 2.35, which at 60mm is still nearly twice as wide as the rim.

Run at 18psi for rocky stuff but down at 14psi in mud for sick traction.

Stuck some old 2.1 WTB's Nano's on this morning just for shits and giggles, they look silly undersized but were surprisingly ok on dry hardpack.
Acquired some old 2.5 Intense DH tyres which I'll try out tomorrow but they look heavy as.
Will be probably go back to Hans Dampf once I finished testing.

Mythbusting Enve myths
RUNNING A WIDER RIM INCREASES EFFECTIVE TREAD - I never heard anyone say or expect that! Though if you had a wide tyre / skinny rim mismatch then this would be true.
WIDER RIMS REDUCE TIRE DEFLECTION - graph gives me brain ache, but shows that this is not a myth wtf!
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby swtchbckr on Sun 8th Jan 7:57pm

80mm external width rims with 4.25 inch tires. Plenty of traction!!!
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby el_booto on Sun 8th Jan 8:00pm

swtchbckr wrote:80mm external width rims with 4.25 inch tires. Plenty of traction!!!

all the traction in fact
leave some for us :hmmm:
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby swtchbckr on Sun 8th Jan 8:03pm

Srsly tho, the 5 Spot has Spank Spikes, 35mm external, and runs sweet as with 2.35 or 2.4 Schwalbes. Got a Mary on back now, Hans up front, but have run opposite of that and various combos incl Nobby Nics too
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Dougal on Sun 8th Jan 9:43pm

swtchbckr wrote:80mm external width rims with 4.25 inch tires. Plenty of traction!!!

How's it pedal? :sneaky:
Dougal

Postby mudlover/hater on Mon 9th Jan 6:57pm

I'm still on 21mm internal width with 2.4" hr2s. 30psi minimum cos I hate the rolly squirm at anything lower AND the clang of rim on root/rock when I case or am just too radicooool.

I'd love to know if the whole wide rims, low pressure stops the squirminess that narrower rims have. Also, is clanging just something you live with cos the grip and feel is so much better on wide?

I'm gonna wait to buy new wheels til my current (en521) rims die which could take a while cos, you know... money.
mudlover/hater
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 7 years 5 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Mon 9th Jan 9:50pm

mudlover/hater wrote:I'd love to know if the whole wide rims, low pressure stops the squirminess that narrower rims have. Also, is clanging just something you live with cos the grip and feel is so much better on wide?

Yes and yes.
Back in the day I went from skinny Mavic 819 to wider Stans Flows with the same tires, same pressures and it stopped all my tire burping.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Cycling | Rims | Wheels - Latest Posts