Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Conners on Mon 5/Dec/16 11:39am

Rik wrote:
Conners wrote:Alright wise ones, dropper questions time.
Locking in a Giant Contact SL, and just wanting to confirm which length I go for.

Current setup is:
Post length is 370 long
130 mm in the frame and 240 showing.
Clear seat tube internal length is 355mm

So to me a 440mm long (150mm travel) post looks like it will be the go to.
I am guessing that you just go for max drop, regardless of whether you 'normally' drop that far? I figure why not have it available if I can.

Thoughts appreciated.


Don't forget to support us :thumbsup:

Good work Rik - because I had forgotten!
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 18 years 3 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby dwgknz on Mon 5/Dec/16 11:47am

Conners wrote:
Rik wrote:
Conners wrote:


Don't forget to support us :thumbsup:

Good work Rik - because I had forgotten!


Rik - I'm finding I'm doing a bit of stuff through Jenson's lately, they seem to have more in stock, do they also have a affiliates program?

(Also Capital Cycles in Wellington too but don't think they're likely too....)
Last edited by dwgknz on Mon 5/Dec/16 11:53am, edited 1 time in total.
dwgknz
User avatar
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Conners on Mon 5/Dec/16 11:50am

dwgknz wrote:Also Wolftooth ReMote FTW

IMG_5206.JPG

Yeah the standard remote and cable routing looks a bit naff - but I figure I'll try it and see how it fits/works.

From memory velo is running a modified front shifter as a remote? Interested to see how that looks (probably like a front shifter mongdurrrrrr) and works too.
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 18 years 3 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby dwgknz on Mon 5/Dec/16 11:55am

I struggled to use the Giant one, angle and weak thumb I guess. This one way simpler but cost too much. Was $100 + new cable and outer :(

Happy now though and uncluttered bar :)
dwgknz
User avatar
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Wobbler on Mon 5/Dec/16 12:27pm

So whats the go for hooks for hanging bikes up? I'm not fused about wall damage from the tire so the plate for them is not a must have. Got dh bikes down to hard tails weight wise.
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby dwgknz on Mon 5/Dec/16 12:41pm

I use Rubbermaid Fasttrack because I like modular stuff. I have 4 bikes on each rail and two heights so kids bikes in spaces between. Other stuff hanging other places between and on other rails.

Slapped a board on the wall first and tightened that to the studs then put the rail over that.
dwgknz
User avatar
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 5/Dec/16 12:47pm

dwgknz wrote:Also Wolftooth ReMote FTW

Oh, yeah. The stock remote is a bit shit.
But modding a left shifter gives a good result. I'm using a Sram one, but only because it's what I had spare.
Velocipedestrian
User avatar
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby el_booto on Mon 5/Dec/16 1:20pm

Wobbler wrote:So whats the go for hooks for hanging bikes up? I'm not fused about wall damage from the tire so the plate for them is not a must have. Got dh bikes down to hard tails weight wise.


i've got these because they work with big tyres (most of my fleet is >2.4 and up to 4")
a row of them on a bit of 2x4 screwed to the wall works well
el_booto
User avatar
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 5/Dec/16 1:53pm

Conners wrote:
dwgknz wrote:Also Wolftooth ReMote FTW

IMG_5206.JPG

Yeah the standard remote and cable routing looks a bit naff - but I figure I'll try it and see how it fits/works.

From memory velo is running a modified front shifter as a remote? Interested to see how that looks (probably like a front shifter mongdurrrrrr) and works too.

Looks like a shifter with the release lever removed.
Open it up, file off the ratchet, hacksaw + file to remove lever for looks, ride on.

There are lots of instructions out there.
Velocipedestrian
User avatar
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Conners on Mon 5/Dec/16 2:12pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:
Conners wrote:
dwgknz wrote:Also Wolftooth ReMote FTW

IMG_5206.JPG

Yeah the standard remote and cable routing looks a bit naff - but I figure I'll try it and see how it fits/works.

From memory velo is running a modified front shifter as a remote? Interested to see how that looks (probably like a front shifter mongdurrrrrr) and works too.

Looks like a shifter with the release lever removed.
Open it up, file off the ratchet, hacksaw + file to remove lever for looks, ride on.

There are lots of instructions out there.

It's times like these I wish I hadn't sold the poploc from my munted Reba. I'm sure that would've worked most excellently.


Wobs- just make sure you check the tyre clearance in your hooks. Some of them have tighter spacing and can be a faff to get larger tyres into.
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 18 years 3 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby AgrAde on Mon 5/Dec/16 4:25pm

Wobbler wrote:So whats the go for hooks for hanging bikes up? I'm not fused about wall damage from the tire so the plate for them is not a must have. Got dh bikes down to hard tails weight wise.


I bought these from mitre 10 for not a lot of money. Not bad, screwed them all into a 2x4 which I bolted to the wall with bigass hex wood screws. The coating on them rips eventually but it hasn't garked my rims at all. I'd put some tape or heatshrink over it if i cared.
hooks1.jpg
hooks2.jpg
AgrAde
User avatar
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby oldandlazy on Mon 5/Dec/16 9:30pm

My DB Inline has stuck down. Anyone got any tips to resolve it before it goes to the LBS tomorrow? I've tried pumping it up and cycling but no improvement. If I release the pressure it sucks all the way to full compression.
oldandlazy
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Mon 5/Dec/16 10:16pm

Nope, it's a send it away job if it's the same thing that happened to mine.
Some seal had dislodged and kept the port between the positive and negative chambers.
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 19 years 2 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby dwgknz on Mon 5/Dec/16 10:31pm

If I was puting hooks for hanging bikes again, I'd go for AgrAde's design and el-booto's hooks.

I was hooked on the fancy stuff before I found the cheap solution.
dwgknz
User avatar
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby oldandlazy on Tue 6/Dec/16 5:28am

Astoria Paranoia wrote:Nope, it's a send it away job if it's the same thing that happened to mine.
Some seal had dislodged and kept the port between the positive and negative chambers.

I suspected as much. Cheers.
oldandlazy
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts

Who is online

65 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot] and 64 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles