Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Dougal on Wed 21/Jan/15 8:58am

Slapheid wrote:Is this ok?

IMG_20150119_221542.jpg


As it gets worse the spoke is losing tension, so it should reach an equilibrium, ya?
or ballpeen + liquid metal (if so what product..)

:paranoid:


Does it look okay? Seriously?

It's rooted. Recycle that rim and move on.
Dougal
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Slapheid on Wed 21/Jan/15 9:26am

Dougal wrote:
Does it look okay? Seriously?

It's rooted. Recycle that rim and move on.


Not serious. Was just sharing on the basis that everyone likes to see a good mechanical failure/others misfortune etc.
Like my last commuter rim:
P1020536.JPG


Didn't bother getting the Liquid metal out on that occasion...
Slapheid
User avatar
"Good things come to those who gate."
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby DogsBollocks on Wed 21/Jan/15 10:53am

Hi team. Is there such a thing as a remote for a monarch RT3 ? I've been through the sram site and the way I read it maybe not but can't be sure. If not could an old poploc or a sprint be mangled to work ?

Cheers
DogsBollocks
User avatar
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby happybaboon on Wed 21/Jan/15 11:27am

Slapheid wrote:
Dougal wrote:
Does it look okay? Seriously?

It's rooted. Recycle that rim and move on.


Not serious. Was just sharing on the basis that everyone likes to see a good mechanical failure/others misfortune etc.
Like my last commuter rim:
The attachment P1020536.JPG is no longer available


Didn't bother getting the Liquid metal out on that occasion...

That's true.

Here's the oil filter I took out of a car I just bought. It had been "burning oil", as some tard had installed the last filter without an O ring around the filter cap. For good measure it had been over tightened and left in there for.... like..... I guess probably 50,000kms (no record :( )
Gentle pressure made the filter crumble along where it had been over-tightened.
DSC_0277.jpg
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 19 years 11 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby dwgknz on Wed 21/Jan/15 11:33am

Did you buy a car that was burning oil?

Or did you buy the car knowing that you may be able to quickly resolve it?
dwgknz
User avatar
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby NickCW on Wed 21/Jan/15 11:37am

DogsBollocks wrote:Hi team. Is there such a thing as a remote for a monarch RT3 ? I've been through the sram site and the way I read it maybe not but can't be sure. If not could an old poploc or a sprint be mangled to work ?

Cheers


They make one for the monarch xx, kinda looks like it'll maybe fit yea nah just wail it on there?

Image
NickCW
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby happybaboon on Wed 21/Jan/15 11:54am

dwgknz wrote:Or did you buy the car knowing that you may be able to quickly resolve it?

This.
Well, I hope that. :huh: So far so good.
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 19 years 11 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Conners on Wed 21/Jan/15 6:38pm

happybaboon wrote:
dwgknz wrote:Or did you buy the car knowing that you may be able to quickly resolve it?

This.
Well, I hope that. :huh: So far so good.

What's the worst that the missing bits of that filter could do to the internals of an engine?
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby wachtourak on Wed 21/Jan/15 6:43pm

NickCW wrote:
DogsBollocks wrote:Hi team. Is there such a thing as a remote for a monarch RT3 ? I've been through the sram site and the way I read it maybe not but can't be sure. If not could an old poploc or a sprint be mangled to work ?

Cheers


They make one for the monarch xx, kinda looks like it'll maybe fit yea nah just wail it on there?

Image


Nah cause the XX stuff is all hydraulic lockout shizzz
wachtourak
User avatar
"IMDABES"
Member for: 19 years 1 month

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby phunk on Tue 27/Jan/15 1:58pm

Does anyone know if a 30.9 to 31.6 seatpost shim is easily available in NZ.
phunk
User avatar
Member for: 17 years 11 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 27/Jan/15 3:30pm

hmmmm maybe not

what is your next build?
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby phunk on Tue 27/Jan/15 3:33pm

Wiggle list a USE one, but shipping on a $10 shim is a killer...

Im just transferring all the good bits over to my hardtail at the moment, will ride that for a while and save some pennies for something new down the track. Can always rebuild the Spot if I need to.
phunk
User avatar
Member for: 17 years 11 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 27/Jan/15 3:43pm

HAHA! saving for some sixfittybees.
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby phunk on Tue 27/Jan/15 3:50pm

shmoodiver wrote:HAHA! saving for some sixfittybees.


Not necessarily, but without many 26" options it might have to be. Unfortunately the standards have moved on and left the 1/18th head tubes and 26" 20mm forks behind.
phunk
User avatar
Member for: 17 years 11 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Slim on Tue 27/Jan/15 4:28pm

phunk wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:HAHA! saving for some sixfittybees.


Not necessarily, but without many 26" options it might have to be. Unfortunately the standards have moved on and left the 1/18th head tubes and 26" 20mm forks behind.


and 135 rears, and threaded BB's

I have a couple of shims at home that I made, remind me later on and I will measure for you.
Slim
Member for: 18 years 5 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts

Who is online

135 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot] and 134 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles