Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby happybaboon on Tue 30/Sep/14 7:53am

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-Elec ... oCjODw_wcB

What do you think? Get some rechargeable cells and a 12v transformer to power it off, battery pack in a pannier bag and stick the siren on the rack or front of the seat post.

I'd be concerned if it can actually hit 300db. Although having the power to instantly disintegrate malcontents with a blast from a siren would be empowering.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 19 years 11 months

Postby kavika on Tue 30/Sep/14 4:54pm

Have just had my wheels for the SB5c built with my original Hope hubs, new spokes, and new Stans Flow rims. I'm rather fussy, so spotted the mm or so flat spot, and side movement as soon as I bolted it in the fork. Oh well I thought. My worries began when I noticed the mechanic using the wheel from a shop bike, to figure out how to lace the rear wheel.

I'm not exactly confident in his wheel building abilities, but am I just being too fussy? Am I expecting too much, thinking that a wheelset going on a $7k+ bike would be built by someone who doesn't need another wheel for reference?

I'm considering taking the bike into a shop in Nelson this weekend after riding Coppermine to have the wheels checked. Any recommendations? (unless you think I am worried over nothing).

Cheers
kavika
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby el_booto on Tue 30/Sep/14 5:44pm

There's a new guy who has set up shop in nelly, word on the street is he's a bit of a wizard :paranoid:

He should be able to provide a sound opinion on the build quality
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 30/Sep/14 6:09pm

kavika wrote:Have just had my wheels for the SB5c built with my original Hope hubs, new spokes, and new Stans Flow rims. I'm rather fussy, so spotted the mm or so flat spot, and side movement as soon as I bolted it in the fork. Oh well I thought. My worries began when I noticed the mechanic using the wheel from a shop bike, to figure out how to lace the rear wheel.

I'm not exactly confident in his wheel building abilities, but am I just being too fussy? Am I expecting too much, thinking that a wheelset going on a $7k+ bike would be built by someone who doesn't need another wheel for reference?

I'm considering taking the bike into a shop in Nelson this weekend after riding Coppermine to have the wheels checked. Any recommendations? (unless you think I am worried over nothing).

Cheers

I'd be fussy too, that's a quality set of parts, going on a quality bike.
Surely before getting the wheels built is the time to research wheelbuilders in your area?
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Scotty on Tue 30/Sep/14 6:42pm

FYI it is possible for Stans rims to come with 1mm of movement out of the box, I'd hardly call it a hangable offence for a run-of-the-mill mechanic. I personally wouldn't be happy with the 1mm myself, but that's because I build my own wheels.

However, if you're THAT fussy, it probably would have made sense to talk to the likes of the guys at Wheelworks, you know, guys who are known for being THAT fussy.
Scotty
Member for: 19 years 10 months

Postby kavika on Tue 30/Sep/14 8:33pm

Scotty wrote:FYI it is possible for Stans rims to come with 1mm of movement out of the box, I'd hardly call it a hangable offence for a run-of-the-mill mechanic. I personally wouldn't be happy with the 1mm myself, but that's because I build my own wheels.

However, if you're THAT fussy, it probably would have made sense to talk to the likes of the guys at Wheelworks, you know, guys who are known for being THAT fussy.

The 1mm movement is fine with me, it was more the look of confusion on the guys face as he was trying to figure out how to lace the wheel, that had me concerned.
Have been given a contact in Nelson that I will get in touch with. It's more peace of mind than anything, as the mechanic is a top guy, but fairly inexperienced, so much so that if I had known he was going to build them, I would have sent the wheels to Nelson to start with.

Cheers
kavika

Postby kavika on Tue 30/Sep/14 8:44pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:I'd be fussy too, that's a quality set of parts, going on a quality bike.
Surely before getting the wheels built is the time to research wheelbuilders in your area?

Yep, complete oversight on my part, as the build was rushed, and I was happy with the shop owner building the wheels, but not so happy to find a relatively inexperienced mechanic being given the task. Thought that 1mm movement in the front wheel was fine, but the confused look as he was lacing the rear started alarm bells ringing. More than likely nothing wrong with them.

Cheers
kavika

Postby jo on Sun 5/Oct/14 8:17pm

New bike has a 10 speed drive train, and a SRAM pressfit bottom bracket. Normally I do basic stuff myself (including changing cranks/external bottom brackets). But this internal pressfit thing is doing my head in.
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... et-service

I reckon, I'll be able to get the bottom bracket out myself. Do I really need to go to a bike shop to get a bottom bracket pushed in? My LBS is awesome but I do like to be able to do such things myself.

Or maybe (since I tend to ride bikes into the ground) I should either front for the tools.

Or make one of these... http://www.parktool.com/product/home-me ... ress-hhp-3

I'd welcome an opinion from an expert. :) My normal experts are all overseas. :rolleyes:
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 18 years 7 months

Postby Oli on Sun 5/Oct/14 9:01pm

Not sure if I qualify as an expert, but making one of those home presses is easy - all you need is a piece of threaded rod, some big washers and the appropriate nuts. Or apparently a vice works, although I couldn't recommend this. :crazy:
10646895_773723639333812_8045487667290828605_n.jpg
Oli
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby jo on Sun 5/Oct/14 9:04pm

Of course you're an expert Oli! :love:

Thanks for confirming - that it should be as easy as it looks.... :paranoid: :)

double edit: crikey - Giant recommend using a vice? :crazy:
jo
"Windy"

Postby Mel on Sun 5/Oct/14 9:07pm

You may struggle to get the BB out if it's been glued or lock-tighted in. For getting it back in I would only ever use the correct tool for the job* - those cups/bearings need to be straight and parallel. Your friendly LBS guys may let you borrow their tools if you're nice to them (or pay them in international bike mechanic currency).

Unless it needs replaceing, or is creaking, I'd leave it in there. :paranoid:

* Edit: or a cheap home-made tool.
Mel

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 6/Oct/14 8:47am

I'm guessing the shimano crank Jo wants to run won't fit the GXP bb.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby wachtourak on Mon 6/Oct/14 9:11am

Just battle it in there with a ball-peen hammer and some hot glue
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 19 years 1 month

Postby Mel on Mon 6/Oct/14 9:19am

shmoodiver wrote:I'm guessing the shimano crank Jo wants to run won't fit the GXP bb.

Dunno, maybe Wachy can make it fit with his chisel and hammer?
Mel

Postby jo on Mon 6/Oct/14 9:33am

shmoodiver wrote:I'm guessing the shimano crank Jo wants to run won't fit the GXP bb.

No. I havent decided what crank to get yet. But its not in my nature to buy stuff that wont fit. Its got X0 in at the moment. And I dont like to buy stuff I cant service. And I dont like to be bike-less for long so I like to get my ducks in a row first before I pull it to bits. Im not yet sure if its locktited in (the key question is - is that what gav would do?)

Mels advice not to change it unless its creaking is good. But I have to say - I'm sure I can make a bearing press. I dont have a lathe for moar engineering win (miss my old works model shop), but I'm more than capable of making something similar to the parktool one.
jo
"Windy"

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts