Postby wachtourak on Fri 4/Jul/14 4:56pm

I'm pretty sure for the UCI rule it has to measure at the knobz though
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 19 years 1 month

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Farm on Sat 5/Jul/14 3:55pm

image.jpg
I'm trying to fit a freewheel to one side of my wheel. It's currently fixed both sides.
One side of the hub has a step down in it so I believe that is the fixed only side.
On the other side is a '"cog holder thing" (photo above) that the cog sat on. I think I need to get it off to fit the freewheel but I can't.
I guess it's a bad idea to soak it in CRC or similar as that'll eat the grease out of the hub?
I'm trying to remove it with the cog on it and a chain whip which is a little tricky to get much leverage on as the cog keeps falling of the side.
If I was sure it was supposed to be removed I'd have a go with a screwdriver and hammer.
Is there a specific tool for removing the thing I don't know the name of?
If I had enough room to sit it in a vice on the flat I guess that'd be the way to give it a good go with the chain whip?
Any advice appreciated. (I couldn't find the stupid questions thread which is probably where this belongs).
Cheers.
Farm
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Mr_Bob on Sat 5/Jul/14 4:22pm

Farm wrote:
image.jpg
I'm trying to fit a freewheel to one side of my wheel. It's currently fixed both sides.
One side of the hub has a step down in it so I believe that is the fixed only side.
On the other side is a '"cog holder thing" (photo above) that the cog sat on. I think I need to get it off to fit the freewheel but I can't.
I guess it's a bad idea to soak it in CRC or similar as that'll eat the grease out of the hub?
I'm trying to remove it with the cog on it and a chain whip which is a little tricky to get much leverage on as the cog keeps falling of the side.
If I was sure it was supposed to be removed I'd have a go with a screwdriver and hammer.
If I had enough room to sit it in a vice on the flat I guess that'd be the way to give it a good go with the chain whip?
Any advice appreciated. (I couldn't find the stupid questions thread which is probably where this belongs).
Cheers.

Can't make out what size the thread is exactly, but it should be one of the two different screw on bmx sprocket threads
Something like an ACS Crossfire one is around $50 from your LBS, and they come in 14 to 20 tooth sprockets
(Yes, you will need to get the old ring on the non stepped side off)
Should be a straight forward job once you get the old ring off
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby Mel on Sat 5/Jul/14 5:09pm

Chainwhip seems like a good option. Use the lockring to help retain the cog on the carrier (just don't do the lockring up tight against it, so it has a little room to undo against the lockring). Then you'll need to back the lockring off the carrier again and it should be hunky dory. A bit of CRC wouldn't hurt - you can always remove the bearings or repack them afterwards if you want to immerse it.
Mel
Member for: 19 years 10 months

Postby slidecontrol on Sat 5/Jul/14 6:03pm

thats not a miche hub or cog carrier set-up perchance? as for getting it off, do what Mel said.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Farm on Sat 5/Jul/14 6:10pm

slidecontrol wrote:thats not a miche hub or cog carrier set-up perchance? as for getting it off, do what Mel said.

It has the word Miche on it. It appears to be this.
http://www.miche.it/en/catalogo/catalogo-miche/pignoni/pignone-pista-in-acciaio-con-supporto-2
I'll have another go after dinner using Mel's advice.
Farm

Postby Oli on Sat 5/Jul/14 6:11pm

Mr_Bob wrote:
Farm wrote:
image.jpg
Cheers.

Can't make out what size the thread is exactly, but it should be one of the two different screw on bmx sprocket threads
Something like an ACS Crossfire one is around $50 from your LBS, and they come in 14 to 20 tooth sprockets
(Yes, you will need to get the old ring on the non stepped side off)
Should be a straight forward job once you get the old ring off
:eh: His whole question is about getting the ring off, not about getting a new freewheel.
Oli
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 5/Jul/14 6:54pm

slidecontrol wrote:thats not a miche hub or cog carrier set-up perchance? as for getting it off, do what Mel said.

shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Conners on Sat 5/Jul/14 7:16pm

Oli wrote:This is not true at all. Do some research before answering with bullshit.

Oli wrote: :eh: His whole question is about getting the ring off, not about getting a new freewheel.

You're on a hat trick :lol:
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby Farm on Sat 5/Jul/14 8:13pm

shmoodiver wrote:

I tried it, even used some CRC. My not inconsiderable bulk was about to bust the chain whip and it's not budging.
Think I'll take it to the shop, unless the CRC has worked some magic over night. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Farm

Postby slidecontrol on Sat 5/Jul/14 8:23pm

have you got access to a vice? if you can get near one, wrap some old chain round the cog and grab it in the vice. drive teh bus till it comes loose.

good luck whatever way you end up going
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 5/Jul/14 8:25pm

Try the Italian Technique....

Use the bikes chain as a whip, bottom the chain out around the BB (protected by a hearty rag) and set the chain up so it loops back onto itself when rolling the wheel forward and well roll the wheel forward :D

shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Farm on Sat 5/Jul/14 8:58pm

My vice is too close to the wall for a wheel. I'll have a go at work on Monday, otherwise I'll take it to the shop.
I can see the Italian method going badly for me. The guy in that video sounds like Christian Slater :eh:
Farm

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts