Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Wed 14/May/14 6:19pm

shmoodiver wrote:Hold the other one in and pump the brake....

Nah, it gets a bit out then fluid just pumps around the outside. Have taken the caliper apart and will see what staring at it does.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 14/May/14 9:41pm

pump faster
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Thu 15/May/14 9:20pm

Stink. Dug it out...

All from bleeding it, then putting the wheel in without the pads accidentally, pumping the lever waiting for bite, see fluid pour out, try to push piston back in but it must have popped out at an angle.

Got a new caliper on the way from CRC
IMAG0719a.jpg
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Thu 15/May/14 10:53pm

I converted my triple 9 spd slx to a double (11-34 cluster - 22 and 36 on the front. rd 772 shadow with sgs cage.)
I get a lot of rub in the FD which really makes a lot of the gears useless. I presume i need to change it??
I also presume i would be better with a 36 on the back? with a 22 up fromt i dont really have any trouble climbing but was also wondering about a bigger granny
thanks
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Thu 15/May/14 11:06pm

also wondering (shifting bits from bike to bike) - with my current set up - could i put a 10 speed shadow plus RD in place of the 9 speed RD presently on (9 speeed xt shifters and a 9 speed 11-34 cassette)?
thanks

note : would change cluster and shifters later
great uncle bulgaria

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Thu 15/May/14 11:16pm

Nope, 10 speed and 9 speed have different pull ratios.

Where is the chain rubbing?
I managed to get mine rub free when I dropped the big ring.
Only go 36 is you really need it.
I only run 11-32 cassettes and I winch myself up ok.
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 19 years 5 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Fri 16/May/14 9:28am

Astoria Paranoia wrote:Nope, 10 speed and 9 speed have different pull ratios.

Where is the chain rubbing?
I managed to get mine rub free when I dropped the big ring.
Only go 36 is you really need it.
I only run 11-32 cassettes and I winch myself up ok.

thanks for that -as i thought about 9/10 interchangebility - i run an old 8spd XT with a 9 speed setup on an older bike and developed a distorted view of what works with what

wrt to the FD, any crossing ie bigfr>bigrear or smallfrnt >>small rear causes rub- means i can use the top 2/3 of the cassette with one ring and the bottom 2/3 with the other - FD is an slx m660
great uncle bulgaria

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 16/May/14 9:47am

great uncle bulgaria wrote:I converted my triple 9 spd slx to a double (11-34 cluster - 22 and 36 on the front. rd 772 shadow with sgs cage.)
I get a lot of rub in the FD which really makes a lot of the gears useless. I presume i need to change it??
I also presume i would be better with a 36 on the back? with a 22 up fromt i dont really have any trouble climbing but was also wondering about a bigger granny
thanks

This is my exact setup (bar the derailleur models) and only get rub when fully crossed small/small, 36f/34r = no rub, old Deore 3psd front mech, old X9 rear, all good.
Maybe a bit more faffing with front mech setup? Perhaps lowering it a little now that it doesn't have to clear a 44t?

Going to a 12-36 cassette (or 11-36 if converting to 10spd) sounds like a good excuse to go single-ring, climbing in 22/36 could winch you up a wall.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby phunk on Fri 16/May/14 10:07am

I find that lowering the front derailleur causes issues, I think it should still remain in the same place after removing the big ring so the wide section at the bottom of the cage is in line with the small ring.
phunk
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby Wobbler on Fri 16/May/14 11:02am

great uncle bulgaria wrote:I converted my triple 9 spd slx to a double (11-34 cluster - 22 and 36 on the front. rd 772 shadow with sgs cage.)
thanks

The dual ring specific mechs are 11ty billion time better for this eg http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/e ... -prod27692 they have a better cage shape.

I ran one with 11-34/11-32 + 22-36 for yonks
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Fri 16/May/14 11:39am

Wobbler wrote:
thanks

The dual ring specific mechs are 11ty billion time better for this eg http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/e ... -prod27692 they have a better cage shape.

do they work with the ghetto (triple, throw away big ring, add bash) doble set up though - is the spacing the same?
cheers
great uncle bulgaria

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 16/May/14 11:56am

Yes, but they can have trouble clearing the bash in some setups.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."

Postby Wobbler on Fri 16/May/14 11:58am

great uncle bulgaria wrote:
Wobbler wrote:
thanks

do they work with the ghetto (triple, throw away big ring, add bash) doble set up though - is the spacing the same?
cheers

Yes they do, as that is exactly what old (9 speed) dual ring used to be.
Wobbler
User avatarMedal

Postby Wobbler on Fri 16/May/14 11:58am

Velocipedestrian wrote:Yes, but they can have trouble clearing the bash in some setups.

What setups? I used e13 turbochargers/superchargers and the factory slx bashrings with never any issues.
Wobbler
User avatarMedal

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 16/May/14 12:12pm

Wobbler wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:Yes, but they can have trouble clearing the bash in some setups.

What setups? I used e13 turbochargers/superchargers and the factory slx bashrings with never any issues.

From The Hive "For guides using a bashring in place of the big ring, a triple front derailleur should be used."

Only mentioned as I've never used a double front derailleur and came across this recently.
Velocipedestrian

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts