Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Mr_Bob on Thu 8/May/14 11:48pm

wachtourak wrote:Anyone here know much about Manitou fork servicing? About time to do a lowers service on the forks on the Mrs' bike, they are 2011 Minutes. Have found a manual, but it doesn't tell me what weight oil to use in the lowers, just the volume. Also, makes no mention of anything like crush washers on a Rockshox fork on the bolts that hold the lowers on. How are they sealed to stop oil coming out here? Will prob just grab some Enduro seals from Shockcraft as Cyclesport aren't doing Manitou/Hayes anymore...

Anything higher grade than 15wt oil will do for semi bath oil, and 5wt in the damper. Dougal sells oil and grease for fork seals too I think.
There is an O-ring on the end of the damper shaft, and under the spring side nut.
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby wachtourak on Fri 9/May/14 6:26am

chur bob

great uncle bulgaria wrote:if someone would be able to confirm for me I'd appreciate it . . .
cx cranks 46/36
If i want to use 11-34 cassette >>total capacity needed is 33 so i need an sgs/long cage mtb derailleur thinking 786 shadow+
am i right?

ta

MTB 10sp and road 10sp are not the same cable pull ratio though so it won't work with road shifters. Best you can probably do is an 11-32 cassette with one of the new medium cage road derailleurs.

It annoys me, I want to put a MTB clutch derailleur on my cross bike but I can't (like a short cage Zee or something) so I don't get chain slap and noise on mtb tracks. Come on Shimano, clutch road derailleur for CX plz.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 18 years 11 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 9/May/14 7:14am

wachtourak wrote:chur bob

great uncle bulgaria wrote:if someone would be able to confirm for me I'd appreciate it . . .
cx cranks 46/36
If i want to use 11-34 cassette >>total capacity needed is 33 so i need an sgs/long cage mtb derailleur thinking 786 shadow+
am i right?

ta

MTB 10sp and road 10sp are not the same cable pull ratio though so it won't work with road shifters. Best you can probably do is an 11-32 cassette with one of the new medium cage road derailleurs.

It annoys me, I want to put a MTB clutch derailleur on my cross bike but I can't (like a short cage Zee or something) so I don't get chain slap and noise on mtb tracks. Come on Shimano, clutch road derailleur for CX plz.

any of the 770 series mechs will work fine
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby wachtourak on Fri 9/May/14 8:17am

Ah yes, forgot 9sp mtb and 10sp road are same ratio...
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 18 years 11 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Fri 9/May/14 8:56am

Running fine here: 105 5700 10 speed shifter, long cage xt 7700 shadow der, Deore 11-36 mtb 10 speed cassette.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Fri 9/May/14 9:53am

so any 9 speed long cage MTB derailleur with appropriate capacity will work? - presumably they don't come clutched so I dont get to avoid the slap . . .
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Fri 9/May/14 9:55am

BrokenKonaRider wrote:Running fine here: 105 5700 10 speed shifter, long cage xt 7700 shadow der, Deore 11-36 mtb 10 speed cassette.

with 50/36 crankset ?
great uncle bulgaria

Postby gumby on Fri 9/May/14 11:36pm

great uncle bulgaria wrote:presumably they don't come clutched so I dont get to avoid the slap . . .

Right, but the clutched ones can be made to work. I've been using a 675 9 spd for a year or so.
gumby
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Fri 9/May/14 11:54pm

gumby wrote:
great uncle bulgaria wrote:presumably they don't come clutched so I dont get to avoid the slap . . .

Right, but the clutched ones can be made to work. I've been using a 675 9 spd for a year or so.

So you're saying that SRAM 9 speed ratios are the same as Shimano 10 speed road?
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 19 years 3 months

Postby gumby on Sat 10/May/14 12:16am

No, where do you get SRAM from?
gumby

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sat 10/May/14 12:30am

Aren't you using a SRAM 9 speed shifter?
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 19 years 3 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 10/May/14 7:43am

gumby wrote:

ooooooh, how?
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby gumby on Sat 10/May/14 9:49am

Astoria Paranoia wrote:Aren't you using a SRAM 9 speed shifter?

No, shimano 770 shifter. I moved the cable towards the pivot 17mm in the stop and ascertained the lever position, first using the shotgun method and then needle nose vice grips, cut and shut the steel arm and lopped off the superfluous stop.
der-00.jpg
der-01.jpg
gumby

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Sun 11/May/14 9:51pm

heard of that with various clever manouvres.
I dont think I'll manage it with brainfade.
slap will be accepted for me i think
great uncle bulgaria

Postby dwgknz on Mon 12/May/14 9:30am

Whenever I install new pads or rotors I've been unable to eliminate rubbing against the rotor, it's always been very slight and not a big impact on the wheel spinning.

I've now notice that the leading edge of pads has worn an angle in the lower corner and the wheel spins freely. Is this normal or even normal with Elixirs?
dwgknz
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts