Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Mr_Bob on Thu 6/Mar/14 11:01pm

slidecontrol wrote:do you know the dimensions? I could machine one on monday?

:rolleyes:
I will try and find out :thumbsup:
Has a thread on one side.
Will try and access the mavic tech site tomorrow
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Thu 6/Mar/14 11:39pm

I'm having trouble getting a fork to replaced my "garaged" fork for my steel masi.
I believe axle to crown is the standard measure of length and that pretty self explanatory.
However my problem has been that the fork i sourced to replace it is a touch longer (but in all other respects identical) so the standard shimano road brakes arms are not long enough to reach the 622c rim. so i think my problem is axle to brake bolt hole difference rather than axle to crown and am trying figure out how i can reliably assess fork length so i don't end up with another fork with the same problem . . . the guy ni bought the first fork from can't help and the Masi dealer thinks they can't get one and my LBS is only offering me an Enve (and i don't really won't to sell a child off to slavery just yet to finance it ) - so i'm going online. any suggestions?
cheers
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 7/Mar/14 6:47am

Most fork sellers talk about whether their steel forks are for "standard reach" calipers or "short reach" ones. You could get your LBS to talk to Wide Open about a Soma steel fork*, 4 week lead time, and they do have a couple of different offerings in terms of brake fit

*Disclaimer, yes I work for Wide Open, and I realise that this post looks very biased towards a non advertiser, who is my employer
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 19 years 7 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 7/Mar/14 7:36am

those soma forks are real nice too
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Scotty on Fri 7/Mar/14 12:28pm

wachtourak wrote:Yeah it's pretty mean. Even Alivio is getting a shadow derailleur and HT2 cranks next season

Still, sweet spec downgrade from her old bike just to jump on a new wheelsize bandwagon

trolololololol

Slacker head-angle, longer top-tube so she doesn't have to run a layback and can run a dropper...

...mud clearance for bigger tyres.

Nuclear snot green > black.

But yeah, component downgrade, couldn't swing 50% off.
Scotty

Postby michael on Fri 7/Mar/14 1:17pm

Mr_Bob wrote:
slidecontrol wrote:do you know the dimensions? I could machine one on monday?

:rolleyes:
I will try and find out :thumbsup:
Has a thread on one side.
Will try and access the mavic tech site tomorrow

FYI, this is the missing piece:

rsz_1000x1000.jpg

inside diameter sits over the stub of the axle on there not threaded up holding on with an internal rubber o ring, outside diameter is that ever is needed to sit against the frame. And the thickness is how ever many MM under 135 is it.
michael
Member for: 19 years 5 months

Postby psychavoc on Fri 7/Mar/14 2:34pm

shmoodiver wrote:I"d say the fresh Geo has more to be desired than the wheel size.

The new geometry is awesome! The Superlight was a bit too steep and XC racey for me these days. Loving the slacker headangle and longer TT on the Juno. Having the bottle cage mounts on top of the downtube instead of underneath is a bonus too! :thumbsup: Can upgrade the components later when we have some money, but I am very impressed so far.
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 18 years 3 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 7/Mar/14 3:18pm

psychavoc wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:I"d say the fresh Geo has more to be desired than the wheel size.

The new geometry is awesome! The Superlight was a bit too steep and XC racey for me these days. Loving the slacker headangle and longer TT on the Juno. Having the bottle cage mounts on top of the downtube instead of underneath is a bonus too! :thumbsup: Can upgrade the components later when we have some money, but I am very impressed so far.

word from all the juliana/santa cruz girls is they're moar fun than the 5010/furtado... Plusher and feel more bottomless but they has a big weight penalty.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby Simonius_Titius on Fri 7/Mar/14 7:44pm

great uncle bulgaria wrote:I'm having trouble getting a fork to replaced my "garaged" fork for my steel masi.
I believe axle to crown is the standard measure of length and that pretty self explanatory.
However my problem has been that the fork i sourced to replace it is a touch longer (but in all other respects identical) so the standard shimano road brakes arms are not long enough to reach the 622c rim. so i think my problem is axle to brake bolt hole difference rather than axle to crown and am trying figure out how i can reliably assess fork length so i don't end up with another fork with the same problem . . . the guy ni bought the first fork from can't help and the Masi dealer thinks they can't get one and my LBS is only offering me an Enve (and i don't really won't to sell a child off to slavery just yet to finance it ) - so i'm going online. any suggestions?
cheers

Fit a long reach dual pivot brake? I guess the longer arms would reduce braking force slightly. Tektro make them quite cheaply. And I think Shimano too.

70s centrepulls are plenty long. :satan:

Or you could bodge extensions to take the bolt of a standard brake beneath the crown, if there is room.
Last edited by Simonius_Titius on Sat 8/Mar/14 2:08am, edited 1 time in total.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby wachtourak on Fri 7/Mar/14 8:06pm

Scotty wrote:

lol, must've been at the wrong shop bro

Built one of those XX1 specced carbon Marin Mt Visions today. So sick. Carbon wheels and everything. Would be pretty tempted if I needed a new bike, could get on 650b and all that. It's inevitable. I'll be eating my words sooner or later
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 18 years 10 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Fri 7/Mar/14 11:20pm

wachtourak wrote:I'll be eating my words sooner or later

Like the whole 'no road bike' thing.
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 19 years 2 months

Postby Scotty on Sat 8/Mar/14 7:36am

wachtourak wrote:
Scotty wrote:

lol, must've been at the wrong shop bro

Built one of those XX1 specced carbon Marin Mt Visions today. So sick. Carbon wheels and everything. Would be pretty tempted if I needed a new bike, could get on 650b and all that. It's inevitable. I'll be eating my words sooner or later

I think I could be talked into one of those Marins. They look the shiz.
Scotty

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sat 8/Mar/14 8:40am

Astoria Paranoia wrote:
wachtourak wrote:I'll be eating my words sooner or later

Like the whole 'no road bike' thing.

And "office-chair post".
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby neels on Mon 10/Mar/14 11:19pm

Had a wee sniff tonight at installing a new shimano 6700 bottom bracket into my roadie, replacing an octolink internal, shell threads look clean enough but I can only wind in by hand as far as the white gunk on the bottom bracket threads.

Is this normal, does it need to be chased and faced, or should I do it anyway just on suspicion?
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 11/Mar/14 7:15am

Normal as bro
shmoodiver

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts