Re: Go The Dads!

Postby Scotty on Sun 6/Oct/13 8:01am

So I just got one of these on 50% off from bike barn. Super easy to fit and the child seems to really like it, good for frames that don't have rack mounts. :)

http://www.bikebarn.co.nz/guppy-maxi-baby-seat.html
Scotty
Member for: 19 years 10 months

Postby Butch on Sun 6/Oct/13 9:45am

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm allergic to searching forums. So what do you call those kiddie bike trailer things with one wheel, a seat and pedals? You know, attach to the seat post and allow the small human to contribute to the pedaling, that type of thing.

And how much are they worth?
Butch
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space!"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby dented on Sun 6/Oct/13 10:13am

Tag-a-long
Half-bike
Tow-a-long
Trailer bike

I bought a Phillips one 2nd hand, for like $120 a couple of years ago. Heres 3 of them ranging in price from $60 to $150

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... 900759.htm
dented
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby thorg on Mon 7/Oct/13 5:16pm

Scotty wrote:So I just got one of these on 50% off from bike barn. Super easy to fit and the child seems to really like it, good for frames that don't have rack mounts. :)

first ride review please. And weight limit?
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby psychavoc on Mon 7/Oct/13 5:53pm

22kg for weight limit. Scotty and child made it down the hill to the playground in one piece with Cadence wanting to go faster.. does that count as a review?
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby thorg on Mon 7/Oct/13 5:57pm

psychavoc wrote:22kg for weight limit. Scotty and child made it down the hill to the playground in one piece with Cadence wanting to go faster.. does that count as a review?

Yep. :-)
R is too big for the weeride, so I'm looking for other options for getting her offroad. I'll be trying out atag-along (phillips) soon, but it's good to have options.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby mfw on Tue 8/Oct/13 6:57am

*bump* :paranoid:
mfw
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby Scotty on Tue 8/Oct/13 7:47am

thorg wrote:
Scotty wrote:So I just got one of these on 50% off from bike barn. Super easy to fit and the child seems to really like it, good for frames that don't have rack mounts. :)

first ride review please. And weight limit?

Really, really good. The way the mount arms cantilever and bounce it provides a bit of cush for the wee one over the bumps. With a bit more time I'd be happy to head out on the singletrack with it.
Scotty
Member for: 19 years 10 months

Postby lubie on Wed 9/Oct/13 4:16pm

lubie
Member for: 19 years 0 months

Postby briiii on Wed 9/Oct/13 4:40pm

Loooool!
briiii
"I'm a bikesexual"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby dwgknz on Mon 14/Oct/13 12:44pm

What are people's experience with trailer mounted hitches, any tips to keep it from rotating on the axle and pointing downwards? What kind of QR to use?

This is the second summer with the trailer, didn't get much use last year due to lots oging on but got it going again now. Went for a ride yesterday and ended up rolling the trailer coming down a sealed footpath on a stopbank. Surprised the boys but they're hardy (harder to break it to the wife as we had spent all day at the hospital Saturday after one got a concussion) and got over it pretty quick.

Afterwards found the hitch had pulled the rear QR out and from what I could tell the hole inside the QR had stretched so the cam wasn't holding it in place. Not sure it was the QR that went first or if it was a consequence of the roll, but took the corner widely so not inclined to believe it was my riding that was the cause. Ended up a 4km walk with a bike in one hand and towing the trailer in the other.
dwgknz
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby mfw on Tue 22/Oct/13 8:58pm

I just caught my 9 yr old daughter reading this, she chose it herself from the library :thumbsup:
raam.jpg
mfw
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby ShoreBoy on Mon 11/Nov/13 5:07pm

I need to start reading this thread. Got 142 pages to get through by May... :thumbsup:
ShoreBoy

Postby dented on Mon 11/Nov/13 6:18pm

Congratulations! :thumbsup:
Welcome to an awesome club
dented
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby ShoreBoy on Mon 11/Nov/13 6:41pm

Cheers mate!
I / we are pretty excited...and SCARED!!!
ShoreBoy

Sifting - Latest Posts