Port Hills Road Leaderboard 2013/14 - Now With Prizes

Postby Rik on Thu 1/Aug/13 12:00am

Season five (1 August 2013 – 30 April 2014) See below for the prizes that can be won.

1 Sumner-Evans-Mount Pleasant, 6.23km, 406m, http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/255681119 - Starts at intersection of Heberden Av and Evans Pass Rd (the top of the triangle island), head up Evans Pass Rd, turns right at Evans Pass onto Summit Rd and ends at intersection of Broadleaf Ln.
2 Dyers-Summit-Worsleys, 7.49km, 409m, http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/254432819 - Follows 3a or 3b to Dyers Pass, turns right onto Summit Rd, and then right again onto Worsleys Rd, finishing at the end of that.
3a Dyers Pass Road, 5.70km, 326m, http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/5104147 - Starts at Centaurus Rd (start of incline), heads up Dyers Pass Rd and ends at intersection of Summit Rd.
3b Dyers Pass Road via Hackthorne, 5.70km, 326m, http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/5102205 - Starts at Cashmere Rd (start of incline), heads up Hackthorne Rd, turns right onto Dyers Pass Rd and ends at intersection of Summit Rd.
4 Governers-Dyers, 2.91km, 328m, http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/5105105 - Starts at Governors Bay Rd (start of incline), heads up Dyers Pass Rd and ends at intersection of Summit Rd.
5 Mount Pleasant Road, 4.70km, 403m, http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/263704141 - Starts at Main Rd (start of incline), heads up Mt Pleasant Rd and ends at intersection of Summit Rd.
6 Halswell Quarry-Kennedys Bush, 1.31km, 86m, http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/255558567 - Starts at start of incline on Kennedys Bush Rd (Halswell Quarry entrance) and ends at the first rock crossing immediately before Watlings Pl.
7 Major Aitken Drive, 1.64km, 151m, http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/255674625 - Starts at Centaurus Rd (start of incline), heads up Major Aitken Dv and ends at the intersection of Stonewall Pl.
8 The B*stard, 4.63km, 328m, http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/5115426 - Starts at cattlestop on Gebbies Pass and ends at top cattlestop on Summit Rd.

Prizes
I'm really pleased to announce that New Zealand Road Cyclist magazine have generously put their hands in there pockets and

whipped out a couple of great prizes for both the king and the queen at the end of this seasons leaderboard.

We have a set of NZ Road Cyclist riding kit, bib shorts and jersey, and a 12 month magazine subscription to give away.

Conditions:
1) No cheating
2) The King or Queen with the greatest score over the average gets first pick of the prizes. So best you encourage your slower firends to get out there to make you look better!
3) Your score must include all 8 climbs

Procedure:
Open to anyone
1. Ride up the hill as fast as you can, and record your time. A registered time should be done in neutral conditions, i.e. no wind assistance (see below for clarification) or draughting.
2. Submit your time to the board by either:
  • Enter a new time manually by clicking the 'Enter times' button.
  • Upload a GPX file retrieved from your GPS. The system will scan this file looking for leaderboard routes. You then simply select which times you want to submit to the leaderboard.
  • For those not up to the task of all this new fangled technology can post their time "like we used to do in the good 'ol days of the vorb leaderboard" and I'll update board when I get around to it.
3. Don't forget to post a reply about you ride anyway, it keeps the topic fresh.
4. Check out your position on the board and try and improve it by completing more climbs or riding up them faster! The table is sorted by number of times, then rider rankings. Your ranking is calculated from your time as it relates to other's times (rating estimates get more accurate as number of climbs go up). Rating scale: 100 = average, 120 = 20% faster than average, 80 = 20% slower than average.

Problems uploading GPX files?
If you are having problems getting a GPX trace to recognise times. You can check your route against the leaderboard defined routes by uploading the file here

More info:

Season 4 2011/12 Leaderboard
Season 3 2010/11 Leaderboard
Season 2 2009/10 Leaderboard
Season 1 2008/9 Leaderboard

Guidance on wind assistance:
=} If you are riding at the less competitive end of the board don't worry too much about wind assistance.
=} Otherwise, please try and be honest and don't post assisted times. A rough guide is a wind with velocity of more than approx. 2m/s (7kph) in the directions indicated by 'X's in table below, but ultimately it is up to you to decide.
By all means post assisted times but make it clear they are not to go on the board!
Checking the wind velocity and direction after a ride can be done on this site http://www.geog.canterbury.ac.nz/weathe ... rent.shtml
The best site for predicting conditions is http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/diamond_lyttelton_harbour If the wind bar is 4-5 knots or below then there is a chance that conditions will be suitable. If the bars are sitting around 0-2 then it's highly likely it'll be green for go.
Other wind information can be found at http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/93780.html#PWS

Code: Select all
      S-Ev   MjAkn  Dyers   Gov-D   Mt P   HQ-Ken   B*td

N      X             X               X
NNE    X             X               X
NE     X
ENE    X
E      X
ESE                           X                           
SE                            X                           
SSE                           X                           
S                             X                           
SSW                           X                           
SW                                                 
WSW                                                 
W                                                   
WNW                  X               X             
NW                   X               X
NNW                  X               X

Power Calculations:
We use the standard calcs (very close to the set used by Strava) for work uphill, rolling resistance and wind resistance. They make a lot of assumptions on the variables in the equations, but the biggest variable is your weight.

You should never ask a lady her age or weight so we make assumptions about weights for males and females(if you tell us your sex). Or you can put in your own weight, all in the profile tab in your User Control Panel if you want a more accurate calculation.
NZ-Road-Cyclist-Kit-Top-Fro.jpg
NZ-Road-Cycling-Kit-Bib-Sho.jpg
NZRCMagazine.jpg
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Re: Port Hills Road Leaderboard 2013/14

Postby noel_whiteside on Thu 1/Aug/13 8:30am

Thanks Rik, I'll try to get out after work tonight and ride a couple of them.
If I upload my gpx, do I load the whole ride and the system will find the hills or will I have to edit my ride so the file only contains the hill climb?
noel_whiteside
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby mfw on Thu 1/Aug/13 9:21am

It's a beautiful thing :love:
Look forward to seeing this grow :grabs popcorn:

Better get my A into G for the Nelson enduro MTB leaderboard...
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby Rik on Thu 1/Aug/13 9:50am

noel_whiteside wrote:do I load the whole ride and the system will find the hills?

Yes :D - I have an army of monkeys who scan the whole file (a days worth, a weeks worth, whatever) for any occurrence of any of the eight climbs. Do all eight in one ride and apart from being a bloody hero, the system will find all eight. You just tick the times you then want to submit to the leaderboard.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"

Postby noel_whiteside on Thu 1/Aug/13 6:45pm

That's the first one loaded. My bike broke on the way back down so I couldn't do anymore.
noel_whiteside

Postby engee on Fri 2/Aug/13 8:18am

Rik wrote:
Do all eight in one ride and apart from being a bloody hero, the system will find all eight.

The challenge is set. The times will be average but that just leaves room for improvement. Hopefully after the next benchie.
engee
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby mfw on Fri 2/Aug/13 12:50pm

engee wrote:
Rik wrote:
Do all eight in one ride and apart from being a bloody hero, the system will find all eight.

The challenge is set. The times will be average but that just leaves room for improvement. Hopefully after the next benchie.

XCguy was the last person to do a similar challenge (all the leaderboard climbs), here's the ride report: Subject: Port Hills Fishbone Ride
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby Rik on Fri 2/Aug/13 12:57pm

XCguys Fishbone report wrote:Ride report:
It was hard :blink:

:lol:
You need say no more than that.

Right - I've now put in a rule that regardless of your times, if it detects all eight rides in the same 12 hour period it multiplies your score by 10. :D
Rik

Postby Trees on Sat 3/Aug/13 12:58pm

Rik wrote:
XCguys Fishbone report wrote:Ride report:
It was hard :blink:

:lol:
You need say no more than that.

Right - I've now put in a rule that regardless of your times, if it detects all eight rides in the same 12 hour period it multiplies your score by 10. :D

Now there's an incentive (and the fact that the 6hr blast at McLeans is coming up soon and so need to start doing some proper training rides). Now just to work on a route & some sunshine...
Trees
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby JK99 on Sat 3/Aug/13 7:29pm

I am a 14 year old female, so can it please be changed on the leaderboard so that I don't have to compete against Dad :D
JK99
Member for: 4 years 4 months

Postby Rik on Sat 3/Aug/13 7:55pm

JK99 wrote:I am a 14 year old female, so can it please be changed on the leaderboard so that I don't have to compete against Dad :D

Hey jk if you log into you profile ucp.php?i=169 change your sex in there.
Rik

Postby Trees on Sun 4/Aug/13 5:51pm

Despite the dodgy looking weather I headed out this morning to have a go at the 8 hill challenge. I let noel_whiteside tag along as he didn't want to miss out on all the fun. We started off pretty casual with Kenndedys & then up to the Kiwi and on to the top of Worsleys Rd. At that stage it was hard to keep it steady as I was itching to ride up something at full throttle. Once we'd rode through the fog & mist along Summit Rd we dropped down the B*stard & then back up again. Riding up steady didn't seem that much easier than usual however. Riding from Governors back to Dyers I was glad that I'd taken it easy earlier on & by the time we rode Mj Aitkens the lack of hill riding through the winter started to take its toll but all in all things still felt reasonable. Mt Pleasant started off ok, but doesn't seem to ever end at the best of times so with 6 hills down it felt like an eternity. Half way up my legs decided that they'd had enough & the rest of the climb felt like it would of been quicker if I was walking up. Despite telling myself that there's only one more to go my legs were listening & the cold was starting to take it's toll. So in the end I had to admit defeat & head for home leaving Noel to tackle the last climb alone. Though I was disappointed to be so close & not quite make it at least that gives me something to do next week...
Trees
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby XCguy on Sun 4/Aug/13 8:15pm

Trees and Noel_Whiteside wrote:we went and did lots and lots and lots of climbing

You two are inspirational :thumbsup:
XCguy
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby noel_whiteside on Sun 4/Aug/13 8:16pm

Xcguy is right. Riding all 8 in one ride = hard.
I wanted to stay at home today and complain about how much I don't like winter. Teresa had other ideas and made me go out.
The final climb was so slow. I'm knackered now.
We had some trouble uploading Hackthonre, Dyers, Worsleys. Vorb would not show it as ridden be either Teresa or myself, we had to enter them manually. We did Dyers and then just continued on to Worsleys. We went right to the start of the Worselys downhill mtb track.
3275m elevation
Vorb all 8 climbs.PNG
All 8 climbs looks a little like this.
noel_whiteside

Postby noel_whiteside on Sun 4/Aug/13 8:17pm

XCguy wrote:
Trees and Noel_Whiteside wrote:we went and did lots and lots and lots of climbing

You two are inspirational :thumbsup:

Stupid is the word you are looking for, you two are stupid
noel_whiteside

Cycling | Leaderboards | Road Cycling - Latest Posts