Re: How Do I Get My Nerve Back?

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Thu 1/Nov/12 9:18am

FeHT wrote:
FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:I now ride in the middle of the day and find traffic much better

That is not going to pan out for OP with commuting. Unless they have pretty special hours of work.

Pretty much missed the whole point of the thread.

If you had bothered to read the whole thread you would have seen that people were discussing different hours of riding.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Thu 1/Nov/12 9:54am

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:
FeHT wrote:
FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:I now ride in the middle of the day and find traffic much better

That is not going to pan out for OP with commuting. Unless they have pretty special hours of work.

If you had bothered to read the whole thread you would have seen that people were discussing different hours of riding.

No, the thread is about getting Tinks happy on her bike again. It's not about you.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby sifter on Thu 1/Nov/12 10:42am

BrokenKonaRider wrote:
FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:
FeHT wrote:

No, the thread is about getting Tinks happy on her bike again. It's not about you.

:withstupid:

FWIW, I'd steer away from the air-horn that Trail's offered. I had one on my commuter for a couple of days, but the number of near misses that resulted forced me to take it off. I realised I was tooting instead of taking my usual evasive action...
sifter
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Trail on Thu 1/Nov/12 11:06am

Yeh, I found I was not really using it as I was still just taking my normal evasive action... I would have someone step out in front of me, I would avoid them and then think "dang -I should have blasted them with the horn"!
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby sifter on Thu 1/Nov/12 11:08am

Trail wrote:Yeh, I found I was not really using it as I was still just taking my normal evasive action... I would have someone step out in front of me, I would avoid them and then think "dang -I should have blasted them with the horn and then plowed into them"!

:D
sifter

Postby Trail on Thu 1/Nov/12 11:17am

I considered it... but I could not overcome my evasive action automatic reaction! :D
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Tinkerbell on Fri 2/Nov/12 10:29am

Oh Yeah! Penny and I biked to the vet and then to work this morning and it was great (although I think she loved it more than I did initially).

Nothing beats biking :love:

Ok this thread can descend into the usual vorb silliness and mockery now
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby sifter on Fri 2/Nov/12 10:31am

Tinkerbell wrote:Oh Yeah! Penny and I biked to the vet and then to work this morning and it was great (although I think she loved it more than I did initially).

Nothing beats biking :love:

Ok this thread can descend into the usual vorb silliness and mockery now

:D Awesome
sifter

Postby danose on Fri 2/Nov/12 11:18am

Tinkerbell wrote:Oh Yeah! Penny and I biked to the vet and then to work this morning and it was great (although I think she loved it more than I did initially).

she gets the prime position in the basket on the front of the bike?

thread really needs a video of her on the bike with ears flapping and tail wagging :thumbsup:
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Tinkerbell on Fri 2/Nov/12 11:41am

You're right. The ears thing is insanely cute!
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"

Postby mcam1 on Mon 5/Nov/12 12:28am

On Labour Weekend, (on the Saturday morning), I was knocked off my bike while on a road ride. I was approaching the Main South Road heading South along Carmen Road. Back from the free turn I stretched my left hand (I kept my arm close to my side), but a driver behind me interpreted it as a left turning signal. I kept going straight, and he went left. The car pushed me off my bike. It was quite a shock, but the driver stopped, as did two great other people who helped me. I ended up with a nice pizza elbow, and some other aches down my right side. They're pretty much healed up now. My bike (a new in January Scott CR1 Comp) was pretty much unscathed (amazingly just some scratches to the shifters, and the pedals).

Whilst I was shaken up, I got back on the bike last week, and got back out for a ride. It felt good, but I was a lot more wary. It sure is a lot harder riding here in Christchurch than it used to be :(

I raced BMX in the early to mid eighties riding around the streets almost every day, and I rode my mountain bike 1000's of km's over the years around the roads and hills of Christchurch, and I've never been hit by a car before. It was almost enough to decide that the best way to get fit again was to just join a gym.

But I love bicycles and cycling. I guess that was what made me get back on the bike :)
mcam1
Member for: 5 years 11 months

Postby Tinkerbell on Mon 5/Nov/12 6:02pm

danose wrote:

she gets the prime position in the basket on the front of the bike?

thread really needs a video of her on the bike with ears flapping and tail wagging :thumbsup:

As requested
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"

Postby alexd on Fri 9/Nov/12 9:44am

I have been thinking about this for a while after being smashed by a right turner who was in the wrong.

Some new road rules seem to be called for:

1. Keep Right, out of the way of cyclists, car doors and old folks.

2. Park and Ride - drive to a nice place to ride, have a pleasant "car free" ride and drive home. It clogs the roads for other road users which is a far more effective way of making the point that cycling is actually some thing we need more of not less.

3. Multi use roads seem doomed. I think we need to rework how we do stuff. Put heavy transport and long distance travel on rail, use existing roads for cars and busses i.e. local people movers. Eliminate roadside parking and use the space for cycling.

This gives an integrated 4 tier transport system.

Foot paths - Cycle ways - Road ways - Rail ways

There are of course billions reason not to change but it is worth thinking about when stuck in a long line of cars going nowhere slowly.

AlexD
alexd
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby sifter on Fri 9/Nov/12 9:57am

:eh: I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I agree with any of those points...
sifter

Postby Oli on Fri 9/Nov/12 10:15am

sifter wrote::eh: I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I agree with any of those points...
I'm completely sure I don't! Segregation isn't the answer, park and ride won't even register with those who you are trying to protest against, and keeping right is problematic at best. I think you need to think about it for a while longer, Alexd. :eh:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Canterbury | Christchurch | Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts