Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 24/Aug/12 8:55pm

shmoodiver wrote:what colour shoes am i wearing?


White freezing works gumboots?
pushbikerider
User avatar
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 19 years 7 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 24/Aug/12 9:40pm

pushbikerider wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:what colour shoes am i wearing?


White freezing works gumboots?


DUDE! You must have ESPN :blink:
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Fri 24/Aug/12 9:42pm

shmoodiver wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:what colour shoes am i wearing?


White freezing works gumboots?


DUDE! You must have ESPN :blink:


Euro soccer replay on at the mo, you're not missing anything.
Dr. Fuentes
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 24/Aug/12 9:47pm

BHUT IHTS FHOOOOOOOOTBHAAAAAAALLLLLL!!!!!!!
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby SlackBoy on Sat 25/Aug/12 12:15am

mudlover/hater wrote:No bends in the chainring, Oli thanks. It's a SRAM 971 with a missing link thingy.
Stick another wheel on it.
don't have one? grab a mates. At the very least it will narrow down your search
SlackBoy
User avatar
Member for: 19 years 10 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Mickyfinn on Sat 25/Aug/12 7:48am

has any one got a 953 frame yet.. I have heard there better than Ti??
Mickyfinn
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby wachtourak on Sat 25/Aug/12 7:51am

'Better' how?
wachtourak
User avatar
"IMDABES"
Member for: 18 years 10 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Mickyfinn on Sat 25/Aug/12 8:05am

well i don't know i was wondering if any one has got a 953?
Mickyfinn
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby wolffman1 on Sat 25/Aug/12 9:26am

What are the small bolts in the brake pad holders which sit under the pads on dura ace 7800 brakes for?

Not the ones in the back of the pads which retain the pads.
I can't see they are attached to anything, and the rubbish set of pads I had in the brakes have worn in 6 months and the bolts have been scrapping on the rims and have worn grooves in the rims.
yes, poor maintenance I know.
I'm swapping the pads out but can I remove these bolts as well? They dont seem to be doing anything
shimano-dura-ace-br-7800-brake-caliper-set__52823_zoom.jpg
wolffman1
User avatar
"Maaangooo"
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby mudlover/hater on Sat 25/Aug/12 12:52pm

I'm not allergic to shellfish, I just don't really like it....

cruiser wrote:wiggle each link, looking for tight spot (but I've found chain with tight link will skip without load too)

Chainring?

can you check your old chain length or swap chainrings for a goodie, could tell you you have a worn chainring.

305mm point to point is new, I can't tell you the guru details, but a few mm over won't help.


Thanks... The old chain is bang on 305mm from pin to pin...

Phunk - It's a hardtail so no effects from rear suspension.... Have thought about the jockey wheels but the derailleur's not older than a couple of years...

Would it be worth a try popping the derailleur off and having a tutu with the hanger with a adjustable spanner? :paranoid:

It happens more just after I've changed gear. But also at random when I'm pushing hard-ish on the pedals...

Cheers for all the helpful and humourous suggestions.
mudlover/hater
User avatar
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby mudlover/hater on Sat 25/Aug/12 12:54pm

SlackBoy wrote:
mudlover/hater wrote:No bends in the chainring, Oli thanks. It's a SRAM 971 with a missing link thingy.
Stick another wheel on it.
don't have one? grab a mates. At the very least it will narrow down your search


To rule out the freehub? Good idea. I'll try it when it stops raining, thanks O Slack one.
mudlover/hater
User avatar
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Sat 25/Aug/12 2:17pm

mudlover/hater wrote:I'm not allergic to shellfish, I just don't really like it....

cruiser wrote:wiggle each link, looking for tight spot (but I've found chain with tight link will skip without load too)

Chainring?

can you check your old chain length or swap chainrings for a goodie, could tell you you have a worn chainring.

305mm point to point is new, I can't tell you the guru details, but a few mm over won't help.


Thanks... The old chain is bang on 305mm from pin to pin...

Phunk - It's a hardtail so no effects from rear suspension.... Have thought about the jockey wheels but the derailleur's not older than a couple of years...

Would it be worth a try popping the derailleur off and having a tutu with the hanger with a adjustable spanner? :paranoid:

It happens more just after I've changed gear. But also at random when I'm pushing hard-ish on the pedals...

Cheers for all the helpful and humourous suggestions.

assuming you are not shitting us NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
take to good LBS who will have the appropriate tool
995ce6a694daf9dda1d7cd68b2e77ad84b896d06_198x190.jpg

they should be happy to help you for 1/2 a dozen oysters or so . . .
great uncle bulgaria
User avatar
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sat 25/Aug/12 6:35pm

wolffman1 wrote:What are the small bolts in the brake pad holders which sit under the pads on dura ace 7800 brakes for?
Not the ones in the back of the pads which retain the pads.

They are supposed to be some kind of plastic, and they are to stop the metal pad holder or tyre guide from eating into your rim when the pads get worn down. There will be cases where to get the full life out of the pads you will need to remove the screws and just check more regularly.

I saw a comment by one rider that on his skinny aero rims the tyre guide would touch the rim well before the pads were worn out.

I guess this has been introduced to cope with extra variability in the pad angle caused by people using a wider range of rim widths with top-end brakes nowadays. If the 7800 has shorter lower arms that would increase variability too.
Last edited by Simonius_Titius on Sat 25/Aug/12 7:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simonius_Titius
User avatar
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Sat 25/Aug/12 6:44pm

When Shimano brake inserts are so cheap, I'm not sure why you'd quibble over the last 1mm or so of material before replacing them - all it would take is for it to start raining in the middle of a hilly ride and you'd be looking at much more than just a set of pads.
Dr. Fuentes
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby steak and cheese on Sat 25/Aug/12 8:12pm

XCrazy wrote:
steak and cheese wrote:Aside from the gum sidewalls on the Evo SC, is there actually any difference between the Vittoria open corsa Evo SC and the Evo CX?

AFAIK they're the same weight and both have 320tpi casings.


Different rubber compounds. Supposedly the CX rubber is super sketch in the wet but the SC is better (so the internet forums tell me).


I did some more research. You were right that the SC has a slightly different compound along with a different tread pattern.

The result is that the SC has slightly better grip but the tradeoff is that if wears out slightly faster.
steak and cheese
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts

Who is online

113 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot] and 112 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles

cron