Bmx U Brake Cabling

Postby handy-andy on Sun 8/Jan/12 8:04pm

Doing some minor modifications to my 8 year old's new BMX (a GT Slammer). I'm going to remove the gyro (I figure it will be a while before he is interested in pulling off a 360 bar spin). Do I still need to run the splitter and dual cables for the rear u brake, or can I run a single cable from the lever to the u brake mechanism?

Assuming I can run a single cable, is there any advantage to running a dual cable (noting that I'm removing the gyro)? Advice appreciated!

On another note, the stock Tektro u brakes are pretty ineffective. Is it worthwhile upgrading? I see I can pick up a set of Xposure You Brakes pretty cheaply (and they come in cool colours, which I'm sure will appeal to my 8 year old!). Not keen to throw money at it unless it will improve braking performance, and I expect he will eventually want to remove the front brake anyway, so don't want to buy uber expensive brakes.
handy-andy
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Re: Bmx U Brake Cabling

Postby pushbikerider on Sun 8/Jan/12 8:14pm

Rear cabling will depend a little bit on what cable braze ons are there, but yes, you basically remove all of the rotor and related cabling, and fit a single cable, I would spend the few more $$ on a "linear cable" it will take being spun around more than a normal one will (and come in cool colours)

U-brakes are U brakes unless you spend $$ on a top of the line one, I'd just run what he's got, maybe look at a better quality pad (avoid the clear coloured pads) and spend some time setting it up properly, lubing posts and generally trying to get the best out of the set-up (a bit like canti's (but worse) if you remember them ;) )
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby handy-andy on Sun 8/Jan/12 9:32pm

pushbikerider wrote:U-brakes are U brakes unless you spend $$ on a top of the line one, I'd just run what he's got

Thought that might be the case. Will pick up some linear cables and decent pads and get to work. Thanks for your input PBR :thumbsup: .
handy-andy
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby Luke__ on Mon 9/Jan/12 9:58am

Odyssey Slic cables are pretty cheap and should do the job OK; I have run them on a few bikes. If the wheel is nice and straight try and get the pad as close to the rim as you can and it should stop pretty well. We used to try sanding the pad or putting slices in them (especially on black rims which hate brakes) but you can get some decent pads these days pretty cheap.
Luke__
Member for: 7 years 0 months

BMX Riding | Bicycle Repair | Cycling - Latest Posts