Windmill Wed Lunchtime Work Parties

Postby cstarnes on Fri 9/Dec/11 11:53am

Hi all

Just setting up a new thread so we can link it to the new Windmill track http://tracks.org.nz/track/show/922

The work parties will commence in the New Year as we will have finished building Transient (yeah!) and relocated all the tools.

The deal:
1. Wed lunchtime work parties will start at the bottom of the track and head upwards. Head up from the green Windmill road crossing (across open grass) to find the start of the new track - its in the trees - look for orange tags.
2. The top entry by the Windmill carpark is complete. It zig zags down the hill and around the back of the knob (still work to be done on this bit of the track - including fixing up the lower hairpins). At the big rock when the track kicks up, the new track heads off to the right.
3. A student is being paid (via donations - thanks heaps) to work on the track below the big rock and is heading down.
4. The middle section of Carparts (where its flat) will become part of Windmill and a new section of Carparts will be built closer to the road. This will keep the tracks totally separated.
5. The whole route has been blazed (orange tags) and approved by WCC.

Windmill will finish the Grade 3 route from Aro St to Tip Track (Transient, Carparts Extension and Barking Emu). Feel free to come along and help us.

Cheers Craig
cstarnes
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Re: Windmill Wed Lunchtime Work Parties

Postby cstarnes on Mon 19/Dec/11 3:07pm

The big news is that we received a $5k donation from Wellington Marathon Clinic. The WMC committee, in their far thinking wisdom, have decided to help out with the track building programme. Most of the money will go to student labour (2 employed part time) in building Windmill. Some will be used to investigate and map out new tracks in Polhill - it will be masterplanned in conjunction with WCC.

There should be heaps of progress in the New Year!
cstarnes

Postby Jono on Mon 19/Dec/11 3:47pm

Much like. So the wednesday parties are going to be a "directing and helping things along" rather than the driving force?
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby cstarnes on Mon 19/Dec/11 4:35pm

Nah, no real change really for the volys. The volunteers (Wed work parties) will build from the bot up and the students from the top down (so will be in different places). It just gets built way quicker!
cstarnes

Postby thelongwalk on Wed 4/Jan/12 9:25am

We'll be starting on windmill today, at the bottom where carparts exits, from 1230.

So if you’re bored or want a bit of exercise be great to see you. I'll bring along me Ma's Christmas cakes as I "accidently" took two lots when I left the naki the other day.
IMG_6465.jpg
thelongwalk
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby properzel on Wed 4/Jan/12 9:28am

Mmmm, choice.

I'll be there dude.
properzel
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Postby cstarnes on Tue 24/Jan/12 11:25am

Has been excellent progress over the holiday break with over 100m built at the north end (bottom). The Revolve chicks are having the first session of the year from 6pm tonight. This is a fortnightly workparty and other randoms are welcome. Head in from the green road crossing. I'll try and make it at some stage during the evening to make the opening easier to ride in.
cstarnes

Postby Jono on Tue 24/Jan/12 10:43pm

Dammit. Stuck at work on wednesdays (and the rest of the week, come to that) until March. I assume that there will still be something for me to do by then?
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby cstarnes on Wed 25/Jan/12 8:42am

You bet. Its probably a years worth of work to complete Windmill. We'll need your enthusiasim in March!

Lunchtime session is on today - all welcome.
cstarnes

Postby cstarnes on Wed 1/Feb/12 9:29am

I'll be there today - WCC has provided some more tools and replacement handles etc so no probs getting the right tool!
cstarnes

Postby gristle on Wed 1/Feb/12 11:53am

Going to give it a miss today, catch you next week.
gristle
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby cstarnes on Thu 2/Feb/12 10:15am

Wise if you wanted to stay dry! We now have about 170m of track built at the north end.
cstarnes

Postby cstarnes on Wed 15/Feb/12 9:00am

I'm in for today - have started above Carparts
cstarnes

Postby gristle on Wed 15/Feb/12 9:05am

Typical Wednesday. Rain. Hope to make it but not if it is heavy.
gristle
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby thelongwalk on Wed 15/Feb/12 9:32am

gristle wrote:Typical Wednesday. Rain. Hope to make it but not if it is heavy.

HTFU. Yep will be there.
thelongwalk
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Cycling | Trail Building - Latest Posts