Calendar Event: December 11, 2011

Makara Peak Enduro Dh Race

Postby AJK on Thu 10/Nov/11 7:05pm

11 December 2011

$10 Entry – all proceeds to Makara Peak Supporters

3 Super-D style routes, with limited time to transfer between them, winner is the person with the lowest cumulative time.

Prizes for Top 3 men and women racers provided by generous sponsor Bike Barn Wellington (like them on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/BikeBarnWellington)

Manual timing, time trial racing with 30 second start intervals.

Entries for men now full, email makaraenduro [at] gmail.com if you want to be waitlisted.

10 positions reserved for female competitors until Dec 5.

Course:
Start: Makara Peak car park at 10:30am
Race route 1 (closes 11:15am) Mid-Sally Alley to intersection of Missing Link and Nikau Valley.
Race route 2 (closes 12:00pm) Ridgeline
Race route 3 (closes 12:30pm) Zac's, Northface, JFK, Smokin', Ridgeline Extension, Swigg and Starfish.
PublicityPoster1.jpg
Last edited by AJK on Thu 1/Dec/11 10:37pm, edited 3 times in total.
AJK
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Re: Makara Peak Enduro Dh Race

Postby cruiser on Thu 10/Nov/11 7:23pm

Looks cool. Should be able to help out if not working that day. how does someone book a spot racing?
cruiser
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby AJK on Thu 10/Nov/11 7:28pm

May try get an early entry organised through the Makara Peak website but at the moment it'll be first come, first served on the day. The limit on numbers is largely due to the practicalities of running 3 TT races at overlapping times with manual timing. Electronic timing would make it possible to have more, but isn't really viable on the (non-existent) budget. Who knows, if this works, there could be expanded versions in the future...
AJK

Postby its that guy on Thu 10/Nov/11 7:33pm

I'm in.
its that guy
"Lurkin"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby ThingOne on Thu 10/Nov/11 8:01pm

Yeah!.. im in..
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby cruiser on Thu 10/Nov/11 8:24pm

I think there'll be at least a hundy turn up fighting for 30 spots :crazy:

just a speculative suggestion without knowing yours or MP limitations:
What about 3 pods of racers rotating through the 3 tracks like the activity stations at skool:)

With pre entries, a pre-arranged starting order could be done to save a few grey hairs with bigger numbers? I'm happy chip in and help out.
cruiser
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby its that guy on Thu 10/Nov/11 8:54pm

cruiser wrote:I think there'll be at least a hundy turn up fighting for 30 spots :crazy:

just a speculative suggestion without knowing yours or MP limitations:
What about 3 pods of racers rotating through the 3 tracks like the activity stations at skool:)

With pre entries, a pre-arranged starting order could be done to save a few grey hairs with bigger numbers? I'm happy chip in and help out.

Naaa, just let everyone fight it out...
its that guy
"Lurkin"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby AJK on Thu 10/Nov/11 10:06pm

The basic concept is that everyone moves around the stages at their own pace, and racing only occurs on the set courses. There's only a vague requirement to get back up the hills quickly (so as to keep within the time limits), and people will be started in the order in which they arrive - self-seeding, if you like.

Consider it your average sifty ride, but with some timed racing chucked in for laughs.
AJK

Postby whynot on Thu 17/Nov/11 8:33pm

Could it be the first of a Wellington version of this?:

http://www.avalanchecup.com/enduro-aval ... duro-.html

I've been hanging out to have a crack at something like this.
whynot
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby AJK on Thu 17/Nov/11 9:48pm

Perhaps? My french is clearly not up to scratch. Inspiration taken from the Trans-Provence and other similar events. I figure most people love smashing the downhills, but can appreciate getting around under their own steam.

Will hopefully have a bit more info on possible early entry in the reasonably near future. If a pre-entry does occur, I'll attempt to provide notice of a week or thereabouts so people have a fair chance to claim an entry spot.
AJK

Postby jo on Thu 17/Nov/11 10:03pm

translate.google.com
or if you're using Chrome it should offer to translate it for you.
My 1 sec look says yes.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 18 years 5 months

Postby AJK on Thu 17/Nov/11 10:48pm

jo wrote:translate.google.com
or if you're using Chrome it should offer to translate it for you.
My 1 sec look says yes.

:blush: Technologically challenged. I'll defer to your venerable opinion.
AJK

Postby SlackBoy on Fri 18/Nov/11 9:41pm

AJK wrote:Perhaps? My french is clearly not up to scratch. Inspiration taken from the Trans-Provence and other similar events. I figure most people love smashing the downhills, but can appreciate getting around under their own steam.

Will hopefully have a bit more info on possible early entry in the reasonably near future. If a pre-entry does occur, I'll attempt to provide notice of a week or thereabouts so people have a fair chance to claim an entry spot.
Ya fo-sure, cos 'i was planning on coming up from nelly for it (and a spot of work on Trickle Falls. And I know Jamie Nicoll was most likely going to come up.
Speshly as I can think of at least 3o peeps off the top of my head that would be more than up for it.
Especially that Ed Crossling guy, This is my chance to pwn him
SlackBoy
Member for: 19 years 11 months

Postby whynot on Sun 20/Nov/11 12:37pm

AJK wrote:Perhaps? My french is clearly not up to scratch. Inspiration taken from the Trans-Provence and other similar events. I figure most people love smashing the downhills, but can appreciate getting around under their own steam.

Woops - my bad (my french aint so crash hot either) - meant to post the english link.

There seems to be a fair few of these races in Europe spawned from some race called the Megavalanche - the ones in Scotland look similar to the enduro/rally format.

I'm sure it's been considered but wouldn't salvation/deliverance be a cool addition....
whynot
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby AJK on Sun 20/Nov/11 3:53pm

Heh, a bit different from Megavalanche, but something like that would be pretty sweet too. Wellington has plenty of elevation, just not all accumulated in one place... Something for down south perhaps?

Deliverance would be a good laugh too, maybe if this one works and no one mortally wounds themself then that could be an option for future. I also thought it'd be quite cool to have a number of massive descents - Makara, Deliverance, and the Hawkins Hill to Aro Valley run. That would take some work.
AJK

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Downhill Racing | Lower North Island | Makara Peak | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts