Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby UnimatrixZero on Sun 30/Oct/11 8:41am

Hey

Thinking of bidding on this - for a commuter. Don't know much about road bikes really, so thought I'd see what fellas (and ladies) generally thought.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=419290287

Cheers
UnimatrixZero
"He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not is a slave."
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sun 30/Oct/11 5:45pm

Bosomworth (Eddie, son Mike and a few other experts) are famous for custom bikes of excellent quality. They also supplied bikes to retailers, I guess these were off-the-shelf sizings are all of at least good quality.

This bike is said to be 19" = 48cm which is the small end of Small. It looks no more than 50cm. That is ideal for a rider up to say 165cm tall, though fit is not critical for shorter rides. You will want the seat at your exact right height though, so if the bike is too small you will have a too crouched position. A small bike is a pain in heavy traffic - uncomfortable, harder to look behind and to see over the cars. That said, my current favourite is 5cm too small for me. :p

The crank is 6.5" = 165mm, ideal for a smaller person or a frantic spinner. Road cranks are usually 170 - 175mm now.

There seems to be plenty of height for bigger tyres so there is likely also enough width but you should check. 20C is damn skinny, you'd be more comfy with at least 23mm front and 25 rear.

The groupset is 600 Ultegra -6400 which is XT level in MTB terms. Note the -6400 freehub body can not take a HG cassette. It may have a FH-6401 which is HG compatible, or it may have a universal screw hub. Easily swapped anyway.

Oh crap I just noticed this is in the mechs thread. I'm not a mech.
(Pulling pants up) "You can't sue me for malpractice, I'm not even a real doctor!" :p
Last edited by Simonius_Titius on Sun 6/Nov/11 1:05am, edited 2 times in total.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby neels on Mon 31/Oct/11 7:40pm

OK bike boffins...

Approximate age and info on manufacturer if you can (I realise it's not very exotic and mass produced).

Be nice to know before I bastardise it into a singlespeed, will probably resist the temptation for a rattlecan paint job and leave it original though, I'm kind of old fashioned and don't like killing the history of old stuff.
26102011348.jpg
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby UnimatrixZero on Mon 31/Oct/11 7:49pm

Simonius_Titius wrote:Bosomworth (Eddie, son Mike and a few other experts) are famous for custom bikes of excellent quality. They also supplied bikes to retailers, I guess these were off-the-shelf sizings are all of at least good quality.

This bike is said to be 19" = 48cm which is the small end of Small. It looks no more than 50cm. That is ideal for a rider up to say 165cm tall, though fit is not critical for shorter rides. You will want the seat at your exact right height though, so if the bike is too small you will have a too crouched position. A small bike is a pain in heavy traffic - uncomfortable, harder to look behind and to see over the cars. That said, my current favourite is 5cm too small for me. :p

The crank is 6.5" = 165mm, ideal for a smaller person or a frantic spinner. Road cranks are usually 170 - 175mm now.

There seems to be plenty of height for bigger tyres so there is likely also enough width but you should check. 20C is damn skinny, you'd be more comfy with at least 23mm front and 25 rear.

The groupset is 600 Ultegra -6400 which is XT level in MTB terms. Note the -6400 freehub body can not take a HG cassette. It may have a FH-6401 which is HG compatible, or it may have a universal screw hub. Easily swapped anyway.

"You can't sue me, I'm not even a real doctor" :p

Thanks heaps - I'm 1.65m tall! :)
UnimatrixZero
"He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not is a slave."
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Fri 4/Nov/11 12:01pm

I've got a 105 (5600 model I think) left hand shifter on my cross bike. I'm thinking of replacing my cranks with a triple set up to suit Welly trails. Is there any easy way to work out whether or not my shifter is triple-capable?
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby wachtourak on Fri 4/Nov/11 1:58pm

Pretty sure the triple capable ones don't say anything on the faceplate wheras the double specific ones say double on them
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 19 years 1 month

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Fri 4/Nov/11 2:04pm

Ta. Did some more googlising and read that so long as they are 5600, they are double/triple.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby nagem on Sat 5/Nov/11 8:58pm

UnimatrixZero wrote:
Simonius_Titius wrote:Bosomworth (Eddie, son Mike and a few other experts) are famous for custom bikes of excellent quality. They also supplied bikes to retailers, I guess these were off-the-shelf sizings are all of at least good quality.

"You can't sue me, I'm not even a real doctor" :p

Thanks heaps - I'm 1.65m tall! :)

Someone else bought it.
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby pushbikerider on Sat 5/Nov/11 9:08pm

nagem wrote:Someone else bought it.

I wonder, who was that mysterious buyer of a small classic road bike on TM?, I wonder
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 19 years 10 months

Postby nagem on Sat 5/Nov/11 9:14pm

pushbikerider wrote:
nagem wrote:Someone else bought it.

I wonder, who was that mysterious buyer of a small classic road bike on TM?, I wonder

I didn't see it here first. K.
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby slidecontrol on Sat 5/Nov/11 9:16pm

*stares*
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby nagem on Sat 5/Nov/11 9:22pm