Fox Rp2 Problems

Postby Demis on Fri 23/Sep/11 9:31am

Hi,

I have a Fox RP2 on my 2011 Trance X2, it only 2 months only and I think the shock feels a bit funny in the first part of the travel. I am running 200psi and have tried it with 160 and 230.

I have taken it back to the shop twice, each time the mechanic agreed that it felt unusual. It was sent to the warranty place in Queens town for repair/service both times. However, both times it has come back feeling the same.

Apparently the internals were replaced on the last trip to the warranty place so it should be like a new one.

The problem is in the first part of the travel, it feels dead and has little resistance and feels like it has no rebound dampening, when you compress the rear suspention it moves through the first 10mm of shock stroke very easily then feels almost linear through the rest of the shock stroke. When you let it fully extend you can feel the last 10mm, it kind of feels dead. It is hard to explain.

Anyway, What do you think about it? Does this sound normal for an air shock? Or should I be sending it back again?

I have already been without it for 1 week for the first attempt then 2 weeks on the second, really annoying when you have a new bike you just want to ride :)
Demis
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Fox Rp2 Problems

Postby northernmonkey on Fri 23/Sep/11 11:12am

I'd push for a replacement or you're returning the whole bike. I've never had any problems like you describe with fox air rears, including RP2's.

I don't think its unreasonable for the shop to stick another can on and deal with getting your current one sorted themselves, it sounds like its been duff from new so Consumer guarantees act should apply... (merchantable quality)
northernmonkey
"The North will Rise Again"
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby yeahnah on Fri 23/Sep/11 12:13pm

Have you or the shop checked that all of the suspension pivot bearings are turning smoothly?
yeahnah
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby Demis on Fri 23/Sep/11 1:22pm

Hi,
Im hoping for a replacement, I just wanted to make sure that its not somthing that is normal with air shocks.

Yes, both the shop and I have checked the movement of the rear suspention without the shock in the frame, it moves without restriction.
Demis

Postby Conners on Fri 23/Sep/11 1:34pm

Demis wrote:Hi,
Im hoping for a replacement, I just wanted to make sure that its not somthing that is normal with air shocks.

Yes, both the shop and I have checked the movement of the rear suspention without the shock in the frame, it moves without restriction.

Have you actually removed the swingarm and checked that the bearings aren't seized though - mine (Trance) was also moving "without restriction" - but this was actaully the alloy sleeves turning inside the bearing races...

New bearings and the swingarm action went from "without restriction" to "butter".
and as a bonus it got rid of what I thought was a slight squeek coming from the shock - which must've been the sleeve turning in the bearing race.
Last edited by Conners on Fri 23/Sep/11 9:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Demis on Fri 23/Sep/11 1:39pm

So to check this i need to disassemble the whole rear end and check each bearing individually?

I think the shop may have tried the shock in there demo trance x1, and found the same feeling with my shock but not the rp23 the x1 comes with, I will check with them.
Demis

Postby yeahnah on Fri 23/Sep/11 7:16pm

Start with the 4 bearings at the lower pivot/shock mount . Seen plenty of those seized up esp if the bike gets hosed down .
yeahnah
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby Demis on Sat 24/Sep/11 10:28am

I dont think it will be the bearings as this is bacisly new, never been hosed down, and It has had this problem from day one.

I think I will take it back to the shop and get them to try my shock in there demo bike and the shock out of the demo bike in mine, this hould rule out anything else.

I will let you know how I get on :)

thanks
Demis

Postby .I. on Sat 24/Sep/11 10:33am

Demis wrote:I dont think it will be the bearings as this is bacisly new, never been hosed down, and It has had this problem from day one.
don't put money on that.....
.I.
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby its that guy on Sat 24/Sep/11 10:37am

I hope you have a nice l.b.s :thumbsup:
its that guy
"Lurkin"
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby ThingOne on Mon 26/Sep/11 7:38am

If this truely is a brand new bike, ask for a new shock you dont need to be getting the run around, shop has already had a chance to rectify and has been unable too , you are entitled to a refund or replacement.

Simple.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Demis on Mon 26/Sep/11 10:50am

The bike is 2 months old, one of which it has spent back at the shop to have this problem fixed,

Shop want the bike back again so they can send the shock to blue shark again. Im not happy, they have had 2 attempts at fixing it so whats a 3rd going to do?
I have to have time off work to get the bike to the shop and then I cant go for rides for another week or so while blue shark try to fix it again.

Does anyone know the distribuitor for Giant bikes in NZ ?? Dont tell me its blue shark! Can I contact them myself ?

Nick
Demis

Postby ThingOne on Mon 26/Sep/11 11:04am

These guys

http://www.degrandi.co.nz/

However the shop is who your bought it off, just ask for a new bike, I have been down this route before with other non bike related stuff and some shops will give you the run around for ages trying to get something repaired. At this point I just stand my ground and refuse to let them have another go at fixing it.

This is the 3rd attempt, so just say you no longer want them to attempt to fix this problem and you want either

1. A new bike
2. A replacement shock (new not refurbished)
3. A full refund.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"

Postby Demis on Mon 26/Sep/11 12:55pm

well its back at the shop, (another 2 hours off work :( )

The Shop is being ok about it. they are not trying to deny there is a problem with my shock. They don’t have any other trance x2's in stock so are unable to swap it for one out of them.

The mechanic is annoyed that blue shark have not fixed or replaced it and are apparently sorting it out with them today, asking for a replacement shock.

I can see the shops position, they can’t just replace it unless the distributor will give them a replacement. They are going to lend me a RP23 out of the shops demo trance so that if there is any hold up in getting a replacement shock for mine, I can keep riding.

I will let you know what happens :O
Demis

Postby ThingOne on Mon 26/Sep/11 1:01pm

Demis wrote:well its back at the shop, (another 2 hours off work :( )

The Shop is being ok about it. they are not trying to deny there is a problem with my shock. They don’t have any other trance x2's in stock so are unable to swap it for one out of them.

The mechanic is annoyed that blue shark have not fixed or replaced it and are apparently sorting it out with them today, asking for a replacement shock.

I can see the shops position, they can’t just replace it unless the distributor will give them a replacement. They are going to lend me a RP23 out of the shops demo trance so that if there is any hold up in getting a replacement shock for mine, I can keep riding.

I will let you know what happens :O

Thats good they are going to give you a loaner, however a shop can not tell you they wont give you a replacement just because the distributor wont, thats against consumer law, I hate hearing that old excuse. GoodLuck!, it will get resolved in the end one way or another, but its a shame you have to jump through hoops just to get a new bike fixed.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"

Bicycle Repair | Cycling - Latest Posts