Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby AdamMTB on Wed 22/Jun/11 5:46pm

I'd like to keep this discussion going.

Seems like the bearings are pretty well seized now so I need to replace them :/

I wouldn't be surprised if my ride on the West Coast side of the Heaphy last week was a contributing factor to these going down hill so fast.

The BB is about 8 months old, does this sound like a reasonable time frame to get out a BB? Is it strange that there is such a big difference between my drive/non drive side bearings?

Seeming it looks pretty seized I'm keen to move away from what I currently have which means I'll investigate stainless or ceramic. Coincidence or not I actually have one of the eight bearings in my rear linkage in a very similar condition (replacement on its way).

I want something that is going to last and be well sealed. Would appreciate any further recommendations and reasons why.

The photos below is not really that uncommon of a sight for me. It tends to rain here on the West Coast every now and again.
P6120383.jpg
AdamMTB
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 22/Jun/11 6:03pm

I would avoid ceramic like the plague for what you do, yes they spin super silky, but are super high maintenance in wet conditions

Please note, I work for the NZ Chris King agent (and I'm a huge King fanboi), so my post contains a large amount of bias

Stainless makes sense, IF you are prepared to do the small amount of service work required to work on the bearings before they are rooted, and that goes for any bearing / product on your bike odds on, the west coast is a tough environment on bikes, bike parts and beairngs

Why I like the King BB is that they are serviceable with a grease gun (adapter needed) so that you can look after them, its easy to do, which is why King offer a 5 year warranty on their BB, but you need to give it a little bit of TLC.

otherwise IMHO 8 months out of a regular external BB isn't too bad considering the conditions you ride in
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 19 years 8 months

Postby musket on Wed 22/Jun/11 6:59pm

Also, SRAM BB bearings (in particular ceramic Blackbox ones) are possible the shitest, least reliable, most high maintenance pieces of shitey low quality high maintenance crappiness on the market.
musket
Member for: 19 years 2 months

Postby Oli on Wed 22/Jun/11 7:02pm

He's ok with his XT cranks for compatibility with most after-market b/b sets.
Oli
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby Conners on Wed 22/Jun/11 7:11pm

For someone on the West Coast, it may be worth looking into some Shockcraft storm drains? CNC machined grooves in your BB cups to allow any moisture to actually drain our around the external bearing cage, rather than trying to get out through the bearing itself.

Check out the Shockcraft site, Dougal's got heaps of useful information on there about bearing installation and maintenance.
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 18 years 5 months

Postby musket on Wed 22/Jun/11 7:13pm

Oli wrote:He's ok with his XT cranks for compatibility with most after-market b/b sets.

Yar, but I wanted to get that in there.
musket

Postby musket on Wed 22/Jun/11 7:14pm

I just ordered myself a pair of wheels for the 29er. Tubulars. 1095g for the pair. It's either the best or worst decision I've ever made. Plan would be to use them for anything other that heavy duty riding (where the flows will be used), and they'll also fit on the CX bike if I end up with one with discs (and 135 spacing, which I'm expecting to come along with disc adoption).
musket

Postby Oli on Wed 22/Jun/11 7:27pm

Your post made absolutely no sense to me and oh how I found your post amusing for a wee while.
Oli
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby musket on Wed 22/Jun/11 7:29pm

Check my stats.
musket

Postby Nick_K on Wed 22/Jun/11 7:41pm

musket wrote:I just ordered myself a pair of wheels for the 29er. Tubulars. 1095g for the pair. It's either the best or worst decision I've ever made. Plan would be to use them for anything other that heavy duty riding (where the flows will be used), and they'll also fit on the CX bike if I end up with one with discs (and 135 spacing, which I'm expecting to come along with disc adoption).

Sweet. I'm guessing enve's? What tires are you going to rock?
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Postby musket on Wed 22/Jun/11 7:48pm

I'll either get some Dugasts made up with Maxxis tread, or Schwalbe, Geax. In fact, getting dugasts made with the tread may mean I can actually run non 29" treads - like ADvantage for the front...

They're going to use an AX-Lightness rim. Weight should be 1030g to be exact. The rims are weight limited to 110kgs, so I'm optimistic about strength. The AX are lighter (60g a rim), wider (2mm) and shallower (approx 9mm) than the Enve.
musket

Postby thelivo on Thu 23/Jun/11 1:07pm

musket wrote:so I'm optimistic about strength.

Ah but presumably the people who set the weight limits have never seen you ride?
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby XCrazy on Thu 23/Jun/11 1:28pm

musket wrote: They're going to use an AX-Lightness rim. Weight should be 1030g to be exact. The rims are weight limited to 110kgs, so I'm optimistic about strength. The AX are lighter (60g a rim), wider (2mm) and shallower (approx 9mm) than the Enve.

:butbut:

Soooooo envious :cry:
XCrazy
"WWJD...... What Would Jens Do?"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby kona.stinky. on Thu 23/Jun/11 7:37pm

Anybody know the cost of a horizontal dropout for a 09 GT Ruckus DX?
kona.stinky.
"Si"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby wachtourak on Thu 23/Jun/11 7:49pm

one handy to the mechanic
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 18 years 11 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts