Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby danose on Tue 31/Aug/10 4:53pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:very good start folks, anyone got any ideas about why the lockout is so full of fail?

you sure you understand how the MoCo 'lockout' works - with lockout 'on' the threshold still needs to be set, I wonder if you've simply got it set too low and you're blowing it open (close the threshold all the way and it'll perform more like a fox rl damper - very very high blow off level and hence a firm lockout)

I usually ran mine with quite a low threshold so as rather than a 'lockout' it was more like a very high compression damper setting (perfect for sprinting out of the saddle thru rocks)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby Sickman on Tue 31/Aug/10 5:12pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:very good start folks, anyone got any ideas about why the lockout is so full of fail?

Hey mate there is excellent stuff in pdf and vids on the Rockshox website on stripping down the forks and setting motion control lock out.

I have my Reba's stripped apart now if you need any photos on what is what. I am putting new seals and oil in at the moment. Heading off soon to get some Torco 20 oil or something similar at the mo for the damping side oil. Just had trouble getting the bottom oil seals off as they had seized on the legs (have been using them with water inside for a long while, waiting for some time to strip and fix them). Had to demel them off.

Have the manuals on my computer so can find them send if you can not find them on the web.
Sickman
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 31/Aug/10 6:56pm

danose wrote:

you sure you understand how the MoCo 'lockout' works - with lockout 'on' the threshold still needs to be set, I wonder if you've simply got it set too low and you're blowing it open (close the threshold all the way and it'll perform more like a fox rl damper - very very high blow off level and hence a firm lockout)

I usually ran mine with quite a low threshold so as rather than a 'lockout' it was more like a very high compression damper setting (perfect for sprinting out of the saddle thru rocks)

yeah, I have pikes with the threshold adjustment on a bike too, have tried winding it all the way in, all the way out... it behaves as normal - easy/hard to blow through the lock, just the 15mm before lock is more like 30mm.
:hmmm:
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Lynskey on Wed 1/Sep/10 10:15pm

Can anybody recommend me a good solid cheap(ish) headset for my roadie? It's a relatively old Specialized Allez, alloy with carbon forks sort of price range. I'm semi-sure it's got a semi-integrated headset, though I really wouldn't know. I found a pic - don't know if it shows what type...
140193454_full.jpg
Lynskey
"Ah yes the tossers certainly come out late at night.."
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Oli on Wed 1/Sep/10 10:19pm

I can't tell from that photo, and I can't recall offhand the exact format of headset Specialized used, but most likely you just need two new bearings - pull the headset apart and take the old bearings into LBS to check sizing and replace. Cheaply sorted. :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 2/Sep/10 12:16am

Which places stock a decent array of unique sized smallish bolts? As far as I know there is no Schrodoco or equivalent in Palmerston North. My best ideas are places like repco and electrical wholesale stores like mastertrade...?
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 19 years 11 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Thu 2/Sep/10 12:19am

Try Boltworld, or Stuart's Bolt Emporium, or Bolts R Us.
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 19 years 4 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Thu 2/Sep/10 12:22am

Or Crazy Joe's House of Bolts.
E Dogg Capizzle

Postby happybaboon on Thu 2/Sep/10 12:25am

Quiet you!
happybaboon

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Thu 2/Sep/10 12:27am

Or The Discount Bolt Warehouse.
E Dogg Capizzle

Postby happybaboon on Thu 2/Sep/10 12:29am

I have explained already that Palmerston North is not blessed with any bolts-specific retail outlets.

Although there is a store that sells only automotive belts. Weeeeeeeird.
happybaboon

Postby wuffy on Thu 2/Sep/10 12:39am

Belts, bolts, only a letters difference, surely they'll do?
wuffy
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 2/Sep/10 6:45am

happybaboon wrote:I have explained already that Palmerston North is not blessed with any bolts-specific retail outlets.

Although there is a store that sells only automotive belts. Weeeeeeeird.

Half way up tremaine ave on the right hand side (just before the rise) there is a bolt shop (steelmaster??) when I was in P-city on a sales call a while back I managed to get a couple of unusual imperial threaded bolts (with metric heads)
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 19 years 10 months

Postby slidecontrol on Thu 2/Sep/10 7:09am

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:Try Boltworld, or Stuart's Bolt Emporium, or Bolts R Us.

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:Or Crazy Joe's House of Bolts.

they're in the bolt district right?
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby danose on Thu 2/Sep/10 8:06am

Velocipedestrian wrote:yeah, I have pikes with the threshold adjustment on a bike too, have tried winding it all the way in, all the way out... it behaves as normal - easy/hard to blow through the lock, just the 15mm before lock is more like 30mm.
:hmmm:

sounds like your pikes are acting up too then - with the threshold right in and the lock fully engaged there should be ZERO 'free' movement
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts