Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Sims on Sun 13/Jun/10 9:31am

Hrmmm. Any advice on setting up the suspension on an 08 X1?

- Fox Van 36 - This may all be in my head; soley because they have a different feel to the boxxers i was using prior. It's probably a product of less overall travel. They seem to be less supple over small bumps, but better dampened off medium to large hits and offer greater resistance to dive and bottoming.
Can i make them more supple/faster? Or is this how they should feel.

- DHX 3 - I was having a bit of trouble with the rebound on this... But i have a sneaking suspicion that I'm actually dragging the rear brake when I'm popping off some things - thus transferring the rotation force of the wheel into the chassis, and dropping the nose. (Damm elixars working too well)
What should weight spring should i be running, for a 75kg punter, and what is the optimum about of sag.

Loving this new set of wheels - Just can't help myself fiddling in the aim of total perfection :)
Sims
Member for: 19 years 5 months

Postby musket on Sun 13/Jun/10 9:39am

Wobs - depending on tube ø, you might be able to modify a braze-on adapter from a roadie.
musket
Member for: 19 years 4 months

Postby YANKEEHOTELFOXTROT on Sun 13/Jun/10 9:47am

http://www.problemsolversbike.com/pdf/PS_backstops.pdf

The lbs could get one from Cycle Supplies in Christchurch.
YANKEEHOTELFOXTROT
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby yeahnah on Sun 13/Jun/10 9:50am

Wobbler wrote:so, do these things still exist and what is the actual name for them? I saw one at a bike shop about 2 years back but cannot find them anywhere on the internets or on the manufacturers websites. Its a clamp on guide for a front mech cabal...
thingy arrows.JPG

Problemsolvers backstops.
Sold by cycle supplies
yeahnah
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby wachtourak on Sun 13/Jun/10 4:27pm

I initially thought the backstops too, but don't think they would quite do the trick. A braze-on would be closer to what he wants
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 19 years 1 month

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sun 13/Jun/10 4:32pm

Why not?
Are they more guides than stops?
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal

Postby rackerrack on Sun 13/Jun/10 4:48pm

Wobbler wrote:so, do these things still exist and what is the actual name for them? I saw one at a bike shop about 2 years back but cannot find them anywhere on the internets or on the manufacturers websites. Its a clamp on guide for a front mech cabal...
thingy arrows.JPG

I made my own out of an old front mech clamp,just chopped all the surplus shit off and drilled a hole in the meaty bit.would work if you wanted it on your seat post.
rackerrack
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby wachtourak on Sun 13/Jun/10 4:59pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:Why not?

It would seem so, just by looking at it, and the blurb about the intended use and all that.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"

Postby wuffy on Sun 13/Jun/10 5:00pm

No idea what you already know so i'll just say what I do know haha

Sims wrote:Hrmmm. Any advice on setting up the suspension on an 08 X1?

- Fox Van 36 - This may all be in my head; soley because they have a different feel to the boxxers i was using prior. It's probably a product of less overall travel. They seem to be less supple over small bumps, but better dampened off medium to large hits and offer greater resistance to dive and bottoming.

If they're the RC2 model you can try adjusting the high and low speed compression, high is fast bumps (square edges, rock gardens etc) low is slow bumps (berms, rollers etc). If they're the R model there isn't much you can do except changing oil weight and rebound unfortunately (as far as I know), and run preload all the way off, gives a more subtle feel over everything I found with my 40s.

Sims wrote:

- DHX 3 - I was having a bit of trouble with the rebound on this... But i have a sneaking suspicion that I'm actually dragging the rear brake when I'm popping off some things - thus transferring the rotation force of the wheel into the chassis, and dropping the nose. (Damm elixars working too well)
What should weight spring should i be running, for a 75kg punter, and what is the optimum about of sag.

Loving this new set of wheels - Just can't help myself fiddling in the aim of total perfection :)

Spring depends on the bike leverage ratio and your style of riding. I'd run 25-30% sag on an X1, again, depends what style you ride and wether you want to ride it uphill.
wuffy
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sun 13/Jun/10 5:03pm

wachtourak wrote:

It would seem so, just by looking at it, and the blurb about the intended use and all that.

The Backstop was originally designed to replace cable guides by adding cable stops

The pdf isn't quite clear but you'd think from the product name it would be a stop
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal

Postby wachtourak on Sun 13/Jun/10 5:14pm

Sims wrote:What should weight spring should i be running, for a 75kg punter, and what is the optimum about of sag.

Are they a 2.25 inch stroke shock? Pretty sure they are. I'd guess about a 500 for 30% sag
wachtourak
"IMDABES"

Postby JohnnyC on Sun 13/Jun/10 5:38pm

Sims wrote:Fox Van 36 - This may all be in my head; soley because they have a different feel to the boxxers i was using prior. It's probably a product of less overall travel. They seem to be less supple over small bumps, but better dampened off medium to large hits and offer greater resistance to dive and bottoming.

Are they RC2 forks? Try back the high speed compression dial all the way off, maybe only run2 or 3 clicks. You can pretty much run the low speed compression 5 or 6 clicks from fully closed to dial out a little bit of brake dive. The small bumps will be using the high speed circuit so opening that up should help. Might sacrifice some of that big hit damping though.

Aim for 25-30% sag like wuffy said, then set your rebound.
JohnnyC
Member for: 18 years 11 months

Postby Ohskidths on Sun 13/Jun/10 5:42pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:
wachtourak wrote:

The Backstop was originally designed to replace cable guides by adding cable stops

The pdf isn't quite clear but you'd think from the product name it would be a stop

Have a look at the main page I found this (product in bottom left corner, guessing its what your talking about??
splash_product.gif
Ohskidths
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sun 13/Jun/10 5:56pm

Ohskidths wrote:Have a look at the main page I found this (product in bottom left corner, guessing its what your talking about??

Seems to be.
My little issue is my frame routes the front mech cable under the downtube which I find annoying when I mount the bike on the rack.
Frame also has cable guides for an adjusty seatpost so if I used those, I just need a stop on the seattube.

Then again I still need to but a top pull mech :huh:
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal

Postby wuffy on Wed 16/Jun/10 6:13pm

So i've got a 8.75x2.75 450lbs spring on my bike at the moment, and I want to get a 500 Ti spring, looked aaaaall around NZ bike shop websites, NO springs anywhere, so will ring up LBS tomorrow and see if they can get some, but on CRC they have some good Nuke Proof ones, but sadly no 2.75 500lbs ones.

my question, will 3 inch stroke fit a roco shock thats supposed to use a 2.75 stroke spring? Because the free length of them is the same according to CRC. But not sure if that takes into account the stroke length or not.
wuffy
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts