Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Slim on Sun 4/Apr/10 10:13am

I should read better.

It will work if you have the tools. Best fix I have seen is to drill out the hole, and fit a top hat bush from the back with the thread in it. Make it out of a reasonable material and you'll be away.
Slim
Member for: 18 years 3 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sun 4/Apr/10 10:18am

Slim wrote:Best fix I have seen is to drill out the hole, and fit a top hat bush from the back with the thread in it. Make it out of a reasonable material and you'll be away.


And make sure your insert is long enough.
ie the thickness of the crank.
I've seen it done before but there wasn't enough pedal thread.
Pedal stripped then seized onto insert.
Couldn't be removed from insert and insert couldn't be removed from crank = throw whole thing away :lol:
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 19 years 3 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Wobbler on Sun 4/Apr/10 10:20am

I need to find that picture :lol:
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Mr_Bob on Sun 4/Apr/10 10:23am

Astoria Paranoia wrote:
Slim wrote:Best fix I have seen is to drill out the hole, and fit a top hat bush from the back with the thread in it. Make it out of a reasonable material and you'll be away.


And make sure your insert is long enough.
ie the thickness of the crank.
I've seen it done before but there wasn't enough pedal thread.
Pedal stripped then seized onto insert.
Couldn't be removed from insert and insert couldn't be removed from crank = throw whole thing away :lol:


- good thinking batman!
That's why I'm so glad I have a couple of great engineering contacts who are riders and customers too :rolleyes:
between them they can weld, fit, turn & lathe up just about anything, or know where to get an odd ball part for that annoying once in a blue moon odd-ball repair :thumbsup:
Mr_Bob
User avatar
"Pedal!"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Slim on Sun 4/Apr/10 10:24am

mill the back of the bush off to get it out of the crank, then turn the bush off the pedal axle.

No I haven't done it before on very expensive Ti axled pedals :lol:
Slim
Member for: 18 years 3 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Wobbler on Sun 4/Apr/10 10:27am

:D

edit: made the second photo brighter so you can see the awesomeness better
what_the_fuck_181.jpg
omgcsi.JPG
Last edited by Wobbler on Sun 4/Apr/10 10:36am, edited 1 time in total.
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Slim on Sun 4/Apr/10 10:29am

looks somewhat agricultural.
Slim
Member for: 18 years 3 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Wobbler on Sun 4/Apr/10 10:31am

it was all sorts of awesome
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sun 4/Apr/10 10:31am

Slim wrote:mill the back of the bush off to get it out of the crank, then turn the bush off the pedal axle.

No I haven't done it before on very expensive Ti axled pedals :lol:


Eurethra!

Glad these cranks weren't to be used anyways
It definitely was :eh: :blink: :butbut: :crazy: :lol:


Slim wrote:looks somewhat agricultural.


Yeah we did pick the bike up from Kaiapoi
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 19 years 3 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby WayneG on Sun 4/Apr/10 5:47pm

The rear chain tensioner spring is dead where can I get a new spring? or tensioner? It is off a GT IT1. All so anyone know a good shop to get the gear hub serviced? I asked my LBS and they said they don't need any work ever. All so any idea of a bike shop that would know how to set up the GT IT1 right, as the right side chain does not seem to align correct.
2010 003.JPG
tensioner spring
2010 006.JPG
tensioner with out spring and jockey wheel
WayneG
User avatar
"Look mum I can fly"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby snr_merv on Sun 4/Apr/10 5:57pm

WayneG wrote:The rear chain tensioner spring is dead where can I get a new spring? or tensioner? It is off a GT IT1. All so anyone know a good shop to get the gear hub serviced? I asked my LBS and they said they don't need any work ever. All so any idea of a bike shop that would know how to set up the GT IT1 right, as the right side chain does not seem to align correct.

You can probably just use any chain tensioner starting from around $50, the spring would be something an engineer could make I guess, not generally a spare part. You can change the oil/grease in the hub, not sure what the service intervals are. I guess your one must be at least a few years old and ridden in dirt/mud when it was designed for commuting, so probably a good idea to prevent anything wearing out prematurely and keep things smooth. Any professional bikeshop should be able to sort all this, you might want to go to a few places and see who knows their arse from their elbow, if they can't figure out the proper set up of the random extra chain they could always consult the GT distributor.
snr_merv
User avatar
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby happybaboon on Tue 6/Apr/10 11:49am

Bike shoppe kiddies - what are those Blackburn Flea lights like? The ones what can be USB charged. They bright? I want a real bright as set of lights.
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 19 years 10 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby kiwi_zg on Tue 6/Apr/10 1:04pm

snr_merv wrote:
WayneG wrote:The rear chain tensioner spring is dead where can I get a new spring? or tensioner? It is off a GT IT1. All so anyone know a good shop to get the gear hub serviced? I asked my LBS and they said they don't need any work ever. All so any idea of a bike shop that would know how to set up the GT IT1 right, as the right side chain does not seem to align correct.

You can probably just use any chain tensioner starting from around $50, the spring would be something an engineer could make I guess, not generally a spare part. You can change the oil/grease in the hub, not sure what the service intervals are. I guess your one must be at least a few years old and ridden in dirt/mud when it was designed for commuting, so probably a good idea to prevent anything wearing out prematurely and keep things smooth. Any professional bikeshop should be able to sort all this, you might want to go to a few places and see who knows their arse from their elbow, if they can't figure out the proper set up of the random extra chain they could always consult the GT distributor.


Or just bend one up from an old spoke.
kiwi_zg
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 9/Apr/10 7:56am

Looking for a low stack height stem, needs to be in the 70/80/90mm length , need a stack height around the 30-35mm range

thoughts from the floor?

yes I've already got a low stack headset sorted, but still need a low stack stem
pushbikerider
User avatar
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 19 years 8 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby SlackBoy on Fri 9/Apr/10 8:39am

raceface d2 do a 70mm one. Boat anchor but....
SlackBoy
User avatar
Member for: 19 years 11 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts

Who is online

120 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot] and 119 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle

cron