Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby nostromo on Thu 18/Mar/10 8:40am

shmoodiver wrote:u11 bluebird! can be had for around the thousand dollar mark if you don't mind em a bit smelly

I had smelly diesel U12 year or so back, great car and it was OK cos I have smelly kids. Made no difference whether the throttle was 1/4 pressed or foot flat but I liked it.
And it said 'Fukushima' on the back :p
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 18/Mar/10 8:48am

murray the llama bus is a u11 and runs liek a dream. does regular vegas missions from auckland with 5 peeps and 5 bieks on about $90 of 96 and you only have to stop twice to fill the radiator
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby herbman on Thu 18/Mar/10 10:02am

Spyder wrote:You can repeat those questions for an Isuzu MU (mysterious utility is bloody right)!

how is a mu any different from any other short wheel base 4WD?
herbman
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby Datsane on Thu 18/Mar/10 4:32pm

herbman wrote:
Spyder wrote:You can repeat those questions for an Isuzu MU (mysterious utility is bloody right)!

how is a mu any different from any other short wheel base 4WD?

That was my thinking. Maybe it was more about the ones with the arse chopped out of them like the x90.

nostromo Mondeo would be a good option 2001 on.
I'm told the Mazda6 has a few issues with clutches (more so the lastest ones) and something about coil packs dieing.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby Colin on Thu 18/Mar/10 5:18pm

lol
Tyre.jpg
Colin
Member for: 18 years 5 months

Postby zephyrheaven on Thu 18/Mar/10 7:15pm

mazda, avoid all fords at all costs
zephyrheaven
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Datsane on Thu 18/Mar/10 11:07pm

Why?
In all interest when seeing you name :eh:
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby Mr_Bob on Fri 19/Mar/10 10:07am

nostromo wrote:Boring question, but;
I've gotta replace our family car as it's a bit stuffed. Thinking a wagon, 2 litre-ish size. Priorities are safety rating and reliability and what forth. Whats worthy? Thinking Mondeo or Mazda 6 sort of thing.

I rate My Nissan Avenir, it's a 96, tons of room too.
Slightly newer ones with the newer shape were larger too
Solid, reliable chain driven Sr20 2l motor, can't go past it.
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby ShoreBoy on Fri 19/Mar/10 10:39am

Hmm, Mondeo would be a good bet I reckon.
I know 2 people with Mazda 6 wagons, one standard, one Atenza. The Atenza is really thirsty but not quick enough to justify the fuel bill. The standard one is nice, nothing spectacular, but probably on par with a Mondeo or similar.

From a very quick squiz on Trademe, it seems you could easily get an 05/06 Mondeo with under 100kms on it for around $15k, and the Mazda 6/Atenzas at that price all seem to have over 100kms on them.

Have you considered an Accord wagon?
ShoreBoy
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby nostromo on Fri 19/Mar/10 10:50am

ShoreBoy wrote:Hmm, Mondeo would be a good bet I reckon.
I know 2 people with Mazda 6 wagons, one standard, one Atenza. The Atenza is really thirsty but not quick enough to justify the fuel bill. The standard one is nice, nothing spectacular, but probably on par with a Mondeo or similar.

From a very quick squiz on Trademe, it seems you could easily get an 05/06 Mondeo with under 100kms on it for around $15k, and the Mazda 6/Atenzas at that price all seem to have over 100kms on them.

I went to a Ford/Mazda car yard yesterday and got my ear bent off, but the guy did say the Mazda 6's carry a big premium over the Mondeo simply because people want them more. They are pretty much the same type of beast with slightly different driving dynamics.
I hadn't looked at an Accord Wagon, but I see one at Turners Auctions, and by the look of the sell prices at Turners for vehicles I'm very keen to buy from there so will go have a look.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby happybaboon on Fri 19/Mar/10 10:54am

http://www.hmthequeensdaimler.com/
You could has a car, as owned by Her Majesty the Quoon :0

It doesn't have hidden machine guns though :(
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 19 years 9 months

Postby Datsane on Fri 19/Mar/10 4:03pm

ShoreBoy wrote:Hmm, Mondeo would be a good bet I reckon.

Apart from the Accord wagans are fugly as.
The Nissan Avineers would be a good choice.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 19/Mar/10 6:23pm

zephyrheaven wrote:mazda, avoid all fords at all costs

:eh: What, even Mk111 Zephyrs? (and leave them to you I suppose)
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby zephyrheaven on Fri 19/Mar/10 6:57pm

Datsane wrote:Why?
In all interest when seeing you name :eh:

Ford stopped making cars in '72 as far as I am concerned

Ive spent about 50 hours a week on a workshop floor for the past 13 years - I have seen a fair bit - not everything, but sadly not much of what Ford build is anything but rubbish now - ok the odd bit makes sense and works well (not often) I had dreams of buying a BA XR8 sometime this year - after working on a few and pricing parts - nah thanks
If you have ever had the pleasure of calling a ford dealership for a price on a part not available aftermarket - its worth it for a hoot.

I think google has a pretty comprehensive "mondeo / problem" search to peruse - dont get me wrong, they get one out of every 50 right

Personally, I would go for the Mazda - overpriced sure (demand like someone has stated), but aftermarket parts are off the hook and the fact most major lease companies used them - a win win situation

I have a friend in wholesale if you are interested , obviously a bit far to travel but his prices are competitive and sells a fair bit interisland for that reason.

Cheers
:D
zephyrheaven

Postby zephyrheaven on Fri 19/Mar/10 6:59pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:
zephyrheaven wrote:mazda, avoid all fords at all costs

:eh: What, even Mk111 Zephyrs? (and leave them to you I suppose)

shhhh its a conspiracy! :blush:
zephyrheaven

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts