Bamboo Bike Kind To Planet And Pocket

Postby thekiwi on Mon 16/Jun/08 3:53pm

Cool :) ... but the photo doesnt give me a lot of confidence :)

http://www.gisborneherald.co.nz/Default ... f767e543b0

Monday, 16 June 2008
By Christine McCafferty

THESE days being environmentally aware is as important as being cost-efficient, and a Gisborne man has managed to combine both with his prototype of a bamboo bike.

Using treated bamboo, bound with flax and epoxy, Freddy Salgado has designed a bike that is kind to the planet and the pocket.

"The bamboo bike is by no means a new idea but I'm using a slightly different design," he said.

"Usually these bikes are bound with hemp but I've found flax to be much stronger and readily available. Once I get the construction figured out, this could be one of the strongest bamboo bikes available."

Bamboo has been used in Asian countries for over 3000 years for a multitude of purposes.

The fastest-growing plant on earth, bamboo reaches full height within a year -- making it an enduring natural resource that can be selectively harvested annually.

Mr Salgado, owner of bike outlet and repair shop Bikeys, was inspired to develop a prototype after noticing the abundance of bamboo growing here.

Once he fine-tunes construction, the next step is developing an economical way of manufacturing on a larger scale -- to keep costs down without compromising quality.

"With the Earth going into crisis, people are searching for sustainable resources that have less impact on the environment. There are always ways of doing things here instead of buying from China."

Steel, aluminium and titanium frames all require high levels of energy to produce before being suitable for bicycle manufacture.

Bamboo simply requires a curing process to strengthen it. Once reinforced, bamboo is comparable to carbon fibre, says Mr Salgado.

"Everything I've used is sourced locally. There is such a strong DIY culture here in New Zealand, it would be a shame to turn into lazy Americans."

Having grown up in America, he just gets away with this statement -- but does not fit into that "lazy-American" category.

"That's why it's all turning to squish in America, because people have been so lazy."

Aside from the obvious benefit of using a natural resource for transport, the increasing cost of fuel makes pedal-power a much more viable option.

Mr Salgado has seen a marked increase in business over the past few months, with more people opting to have old bikes fixed or invest in a new one to avoid record-high fuel prices.

"I'm noticing there are a lot more commuters . . . there is definitely a lot more of a buzz with biking.

"It's becoming more popular as people become more environmentally-conscious."

On the subject of the council's cycle and walkway strategy, Mr Salgado said it was a great idea but he hoped to see council staff and the Mayor promote its use and lead by example.

"They need to get involved with people who do ride and make sure it's actually used.

"There's no point spending all that money if people don't use it."
thekiwi
"A bad day of riding beats a good day at the office"
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby thekiwi on Mon 16/Jun/08 3:55pm

Some have managed to make nice bikes, but they do use non bamboo lugs

http://www.calfeedesign.com/bamboo.htm
thekiwi
"A bad day of riding beats a good day at the office"
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Bamboo Bike

Postby bikeys on Tue 17/Jun/08 12:16pm

Cats out of the bag now. I did not want a photo taken of 1st proto because it is a very bad example of a bamboo bike (I experimented with all sorts of resins and fibres). Craig Calfee is the Bugati of Bamboo and Carbon Fiber for that matter. Most people dont realize they need to thank Calfee for there carbon fiber bikes, he has been doing carbon since before mtbing was invented. Calfee' s project in africa is what made me realize how much bamboo I have been riding buy here in Gizzy.
Working on 2nd proto which will be my comuter bike. Working out a few more details with sourcing tooling and parts for the frame, gearing the shop up into bamboo bike manufacturing plant. 2nd bike looks promising, could possibly be the strongest example of its kind (natural fiber bamboo bike),using NZ native flax. Will download photos when done with 2nd bike.
P.S. SAVE THE PLANET!
DSCN1799.JPG
Just put together a commuter bike for myself - check it out.
bikeys
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Bamboo Update

Postby bikeys on Tue 22/Jul/08 8:45am

Looks like Bamboo bike factory is a go. Anyone know of some bamboo groves they want to get rid of?
bam up.htm
Downloaded 193 times
bikeys

Bamboo Half Breed

Postby bikeys on Thu 7/Aug/08 8:36am

proto numero tres: purpuse of this experiment was to take an alloy frame and make it more comfortable & lighter, mission accomplished. This is what I consider a true custom build. Bamboo is the shit, cant belive this stuff rides better than carbon!
DSCN1893.jpg
numero tres
DSCN1894.jpg
numero tres
bikeys

Postby TukitukiFREERIDER on Thu 7/Aug/08 12:36pm

wow thats cool man. :thumbsup:
TukitukiFREERIDER
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Solar Oven

Postby bikeys on Mon 18/Aug/08 1:47pm

TukitukiFREERIDER wrote: wow thats cool man. :thumbsup:

Thanx bro, what I find cooler is the tooling to make them!
solar oven proto #1.jpg
bikeys

Postby bikeys on Mon 10/Nov/08 2:27pm

Latest proto I developed using bamboo & flax combined with I-Drive carbon rear end. I think it is a first in the bamboo rear suspension category.
bamboo I-drive.jpg
bikeys

Postby dented on Mon 10/Nov/08 2:36pm

Its like the Flinstones meets the Jetsons
dented
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby Spokes on Mon 10/Nov/08 3:12pm

dented wrote: Its like the Flinstones meets the Jetsons

:D
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Re: Bamboo Bike Kind To Planet And Pocket

Postby bikeys on Wed 5/Aug/09 3:57pm

Calfee style Bamboosero bikes hand made in Gisborne with NZ flax & bamboo. 2nd batch available around X-mas. For more info check out bamboosero.com, or call 06 867 4444. After over a year of experimenting curing bamboo & building a few prototypes I decided to take the guess work out of building bamboo bikes and joined Craig Calfee, from Calfeedesign.com.
Also check out this vid clip from last frame building seminar in Philippines, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkRG4pJ8PQ
Next batch will be a mix of road bikes, city bikes, and a few mtb hardtails.
bamboo product.jpg
bam product.jpg
slam bam.jpg
bikeys

Postby OliverBendix on Wed 5/Aug/09 4:47pm

Nice! I look forward to meeting a few of these around the place.
OliverBendix
"Punter"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby porschenut on Wed 5/Aug/09 4:55pm

I'd love to try one out. It would be so cool to race one at the nats just to see the look on peoples faces!!
porschenut

Postby bikeys on Fri 7/Aug/09 10:15am

porschenut wrote:I'd love to try one out. It would be so cool to race one at the nats just to see the look on peoples faces!!

Come over to Gizzy for test ride! Will be at a few of the N. Island Nats so stop by bamboosero marquee if you cant make it to Gizzy. Very hard to get out of most trail head parking lots for ride cause people just want to feel if its really bamboo.
bikeys

Postby porschenut on Fri 7/Aug/09 12:07pm

Might be driving down from auckland later in the year, might be worth making a detour just to check one out. :)
porschenut

Cycling | Gisborne Region | Middle North Island | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts