Re: Christchurch Winter Series

Postby tony_11 on Tue 14/Jul/09 8:27am

I raced in my first club event at Waipara at the end of the series.. Went into C Grade and was spat out at 20kms.. I don't think we were under 44kmph for all of that distance.. As soon as we went uphill i was gone, just didn't have the legs to stay with them.. There were some pretty talented riders in that group as well.. I'm thinking C Grade at Prebbleton isn't really on par with the Pegasus C Grade.. I may be wrong though..

I'm probably going to hope to get into D Grade this weekend, that's if Bruce puts me there.. He may even put me in E or F in which case i will have to battle my way out and get up a grade..
tony_11
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby rochie on Tue 14/Jul/09 2:53pm

Missed the split and ended up in the 2nd B Grade group. Went for the solo break after the cow poo on the outward leg. Got so far ahead Fergie thought I'd been dropped from the group ahead. Still about 30s ahead at the turnaround but was eventually caught. Got in another couple of breaks on the way back. Bridged to a couple of guys on the home stretch but we were caught. Pretty much burned my matches by then. In retrospect should have kept driving it hard from the corner rather than sit back to see what happened. Anyhow here's the vid.
Last edited by rochie on Tue 14/Jul/09 4:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
rochie
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby snr_merv on Tue 14/Jul/09 3:07pm

I had nothing left at the sprint after the break, you can see me trying to get on the wheel of the fast guys going past at the end then giving up and disappearing out the back :lol: Cool filming :thumbsup:
snr_merv
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby 84millsy on Tue 14/Jul/09 4:13pm

Dumb question, but how does the handicaping work in the E/F grades (I would like to know in the event of being put in E grade due to lack of experience).
84millsy
""As I enter my late twenties, the world should make marginally more sense, contain far more meaning and be slightly less depressing. I'm interested in the production of belief and, unable to reconcile myself to the notion I'll find fulfilment in 'career paths', prime time television or petty romance, I've chosen to believe in cycling" - Dr Ianto Ware"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby Fergie on Tue 14/Jul/09 4:48pm

Your guess is as good as ours. After 40 years of handicapping Bruce is a pretty good judge of a riders ability. Interesting that Roger Fowler (been involved as long as Bruce) applies a formula but can't get it as right as Bruce.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Te Rauparaha on Tue 14/Jul/09 7:01pm

Which grade would Dylan end up in Fergie? Do you have a say there? Cause they wouldn't know him. Probably hard to know too with him having some gas but not experienced. He reckons B
Te Rauparaha
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Fergie on Tue 14/Jul/09 7:18pm

B grade would be challenging. With harder conditions and some well timed aggressive riding last Sunday a lot of the U17s in there were dropped. I don't have any say in the handicapping. Thats not to say I haven't second guessed Bruce more than once.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."

Postby Te Rauparaha on Tue 14/Jul/09 7:55pm

Righto. C or D might be the go then
Te Rauparaha
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby 84millsy on Wed 15/Jul/09 5:48pm

Just looked on the Pegasus site and it is saying you have to register before thurs on the given number.
This right?, as the given number is not working.
84millsy
""As I enter my late twenties, the world should make marginally more sense, contain far more meaning and be slightly less depressing. I'm interested in the production of belief and, unable to reconcile myself to the notion I'll find fulfilment in 'career paths', prime time television or petty romance, I've chosen to believe in cycling" - Dr Ianto Ware"

Postby Fergie on Wed 15/Jul/09 6:27pm

Okay, I am waiting to tomorrow to register. It's an answer phone. WIll check with Bruce and Derrick to see if it needs to be turned back on after the Winter break.
Fergie

Postby tony_11 on Wed 15/Jul/09 7:08pm

Its's switched off I emailed Derrick earlier to let him know.

84 Millsy are you licensed? They may insist that your licensed to race in this race.. Probably best to check if not licensed..
tony_11

Postby 84millsy on Wed 15/Jul/09 8:03pm

Yup, got my centre license a few weeks ago.
84millsy

Postby Symon-the-fireman on Wed 15/Jul/09 8:31pm

The procedure for the rest of the year's club racing is as folows.
The race programme is on the Pegasus and Papanui websites.
Each club takes it in turns to run the event
There is a mix of scratch and handicap races with the first few being scratch so that Bruce and Roger can get a few results to ensure fair handicapping later in the season.
If you wish to race regularly you will need to register with a club [either Pegasus or Papanui] The minimum licence level you will need is "centre" which is about $80 this covers admin costs and insurances. You will also have to buy a timing tag for your bike which are $25.oo
You can usually have 3 races before we really put the pressure on to join up.
for each race, check the website and if you want to enter leave your name on the Race Registration Line 083243615 [calls cost 20cents I think] If you haven't raced before, leave that info on the race line and if you know a regular racer who you are at a similar level with leave that info too.
The club handicappers collect the names and forward the complete list to the race manager after they have graded the riders into their respective grades
Please get your name in early on the phone as it makes life easier for everyone. Entries normally close on Thursday, though we tend to cut a bit of slack at this time of year as everyone tries to second guess the weather.
On race day, turn up nice and early to pick up your race number, each race is $15 for a "club" race and $25 for a "open"
Race your brains out
stay on for a cup of tea and tall tale telling at the prize giving.
Repeat on a weekly basis.
If anyone has any questions they can ring me on 0211188547
Symon
Symon-the-fireman
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby tony_11 on Wed 15/Jul/09 9:26pm

Couldn't have put it any better if you tried Symon.. Think that explains everything to everyone..
tony_11

Postby bigjas on Thu 16/Jul/09 4:28am

you have to buy a timing chip now?
bigjas
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Canterbury | Christchurch | Cycling | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing - Latest Posts