Helmets -- What To Buy, I Need A New One.

Postby nzmatto on Tue 7/Apr/09 4:16pm

So when I started this cycling gig a year ago I got told I needed a helmet. They asked me what I wanted and I said anything cheap, because I am only wearing it because I have to.

Now I realize that this was not the greatest decision in my life, however it was probably not that bad, given I only paid about $40 for it.
Anyway, I am now on the market for a new helmet, and I have no real idea what I need, or how I can get something reasonable without being ripped off. I see on a cheap web cycling site helmets ranging from $35 to $250 and at my LBS this morning saw one at $449.

I know some of the differences being the plastic molding on the outside covering more of the helmet, and the top end one has an inner core thing to keep it together, because there is not much else to it.

So what should I be looking at, and how much should I spend to get something decent. I don't mind spending a couple of hundred bucks, but need to know that what I get will be comfortable for endurance rides and will look good.

Ta Matt
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Re: Helmets -- What To Buy, I Need A New One.

Postby ThingOne on Tue 7/Apr/09 4:20pm

Bell Sweep R..

Why... Because all the cool kids have one.

See Burkes..
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby Tama on Tue 7/Apr/09 4:22pm

In many ways fit is more important than quality. What brand was your old helmet and did it fit you well?
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 19 years 10 months

Postby XCrazy on Tue 7/Apr/09 4:30pm

Fit is most important. A mid range helmet will be a whole lot nicer without breaking the bank. In a mid range helmet they should come in specific sizes as opposed to uni fit. Make sure you try a variety to see what fits and feels comfortable. From personal experience I cannot fit Bell or Giro as they sit uncomfortably on my head, MET and Lazer fit my head best.
XCrazy
"WWJD...... What Would Jens Do?"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby nzmatto on Tue 7/Apr/09 4:36pm

The current one is a Limar 520, size L 55-61cm. It is the right size as a quick measure says my noggin is 58cm around. It seemed to fit OK, however gets uncomfortable after a couple of hours or so when it starts getting hot. Also when going fast downhill it is almost pulling itself off my head, to stop this I'd need to do it up REAL tight!

Just had a look on Burkes for the Bell Sweep R and am really impressed at their technology.....
Bell’s signature GPS Fit System insures an optimal fit.
They track me down by GPS and adjust the helmet to fit????? I am impressed.
nzmatto

Postby ThingOne on Tue 7/Apr/09 4:42pm

nzmatto wrote:The current one is a Limar 520, size L 55-61cm. It is the right size as a quick measure says my noggin is 58cm around. It seemed to fit OK, however gets uncomfortable after a couple of hours or so when it starts getting hot. Also when going fast downhill it is almost pulling itself off my head, to stop this I'd need to do it up REAL tight!

Just had a look on Burkes for the Bell Sweep R and am really impressed at their technology.....
Bell’s signature GPS Fit System insures an optimal fit.
They track me down by GPS and adjust the helmet to fit????? I am impressed.

Yes correct thats how it works.. Have you uploaded your head measurements to the Satelite yet?.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Tue 7/Apr/09 4:45pm

Just to throw another thought in... I have 2 helmets - 1 for summer and events (with plenty of vents) and one with less vents for winter! Both Bell - 1 is a Sweep, forget what the other is right now. The winter one should be comfy with a beanie or whatever head covering you choose. All depends how much riding you plan on doing... :)
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby ThingOne on Tue 7/Apr/09 4:46pm

Scaredy_Cat wrote:Just to throw another thought in... I have 2 helmets - 1 for summer and events (with plenty of vents) and one with less vents for winter! Both Bell - 1 is a Sweep, forget what the other is right now. The winter one should be comfy with a beanie or whatever head covering you choose. All depends how much riding you plan on doing... :)

See told you.. all the cool kids have them :cool:
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"

Postby jo on Tue 7/Apr/09 4:48pm

I've got a Bell Ghisallo! :cool:

Oh... :huh:

right... :(
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 18 years 4 months

Postby Spyder on Tue 7/Apr/09 4:51pm

Doesn't matter if it's a Bell, or Giro or any of the big names as long as it fits and it's the right colour for your bike/riding gear!
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby Trail on Tue 7/Apr/09 4:53pm

Have had a couple of Xens now... fit good, big vents, hard plastic case... and seem to work well if you smack your head on the ground while wearing one :paranoid:
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 19 years 10 months

Postby nzmatto on Tue 7/Apr/09 6:02pm

Nice!!!! Looks like Burkes have the best price on the Bell, so I may pop out and see them tomorrow to try some on.
nzmatto

Postby Tugboat on Tue 7/Apr/09 6:23pm

Giro FTW!

Giro and Bell are both owned by the same company although the helmets are shaped differently so one brand may fit better than the other. Unless you're XCrazy, the majority of people probably find that they either have a Giro head or Bell head (although there seems to be different moulding shape inside of the Giro Atmos and Ionos). Either one is a good brand and you can't go wrong... same with Met, Limar, Selev or Catlike. These just aren't so commonly available.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby disoriented on Tue 7/Apr/09 6:53pm

Uvex FTW!

Its all about fit, the difference between a helmet that fits ok and a good good fitting helmet, is a major concusion with a trip to hospital or a midly sore head. Learnt that the hard way.

I had to try on just about every make and model of helmet in Wellington that intill I found one that fitted and l Iiked. In saying that there was only about two helmets that I was happy with the fit of, a cheap giro and and a Uvex.
disoriented
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts