Calendar Event: March 22, 2009

Re: Kapiti Cycle Challenge

Postby tylersdad on Sat 21/Mar/09 2:39pm

sorry, doesn't look like i can make this ride.
if i do it will be a last minute change. bugger.

good luck to you all.

go hard, !!!!!
tylersdad
"Meh !!!!"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Grant on Sun 22/Mar/09 10:03am

Great Day for it! :(

The rain has just hit... :crazy:
Grant
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby bigmig on Sun 22/Mar/09 1:37pm

Well done to all of you who braved the cold today for the Kapiti Challenge this morning. I recognised a few of you from the Hospi Ride last week, so hopefully I managed to capture a few more images of you. We were almost at the top of the Paekak Hill (ouch, looked tough) and then at the finish line. About 450 entrants, well done to the organisers!
bigmig
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby way_downsouth on Sun 22/Mar/09 2:31pm

My quick report.

A quick email around mates on Friday revealed only one mate (of the 3) was keen. Sweet, entered and in there.

I thought I would be flashy and pick up some latex tubes from Oli on Friday when I collected a couple of bikes that came back in impeccable condition - as always.

My prep on Saturday involved a little ride with Kate on our mountain bikes, and fitting the new tubes, getting my kit ready - I think I was the only rider sporting a Makara Peak Supporters top at this race, which is a rare occurrence.

Sunday. Up at 5:30, out the door at 6:05 down to meet Chris for the drive up to Waikanae. I was feeling okay and out for a good time.

On the start line, nervous as I just about always am, I was stoked to get going. Once we got out of Waikane the pace didn't pick up much. So, what does any unfit rider do? Goes out the front and has a go at the front, in fact has a lot of turns. After a while I was thinking about being sensible, so I went back in the bunch for a bit. That was boring and dangerous. So I attacked just Norhtof Queen Elizabeth Park, one of the Wheelworks riders (maybe Chris Kendall?) joined in for the party. Got hauled in just before the first climb. I suffered up the climb, due to my little break, but went okay.

Over the top and a bunch quickly formed where only a few of us were sharing the work, but that was sweet. Kept hammering. Got to Haywards, and started up a little nervously, but things weren't too bad so just kept pushing, hauling in another bunch.

Over Haywards, and onto SH2, with a tail wind the hammer went down (as much as it can when I am involved anyway). Once again, the work was shared between very few. Who cares, I was feeling strong. Quite a few of the bunch got spat out the back.

Hit the Akatarawa Road, had a pretty good time at the start, was going up the little climbs well. After doing this quite a few times in a row, I didn't pay attention for a bit and was out the back. Bummer. Tried to catch up, but couldn't do it. Then I realised I had eaten half a muesli bar and about 1/2 a bottle of water. Oops.

Grovelled to the top, but was in front of my mates, so that was cool. Started motoring down to Waikanae and was just getting some confidence up down the hill when I punctured. Crap. Probably the slowest repair job eva. Got myself sorted after an age and hammered to the end. I was right around three hours. Hopefully just under.

All in all, it was a heap of fun being a terrible tactician and no doubt I had a great training ride. Pretty awesome friendly event.
way_downsouth
"Average at best"
Member for: 18 years 9 months

Postby Oli on Sun 22/Mar/09 2:38pm

Good stuff, Pete! Bummer about the puncture though... :crazy:
Oli
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby wgtngrl on Sun 22/Mar/09 3:18pm

Nice one Pete. You guys must have enjoyed that tailwind from bottom of haywards up to the Aka's - it was a bitch to ride in to today, but bloody nice to turn back around :)
wgtngrl
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby Rider on Sun 22/Mar/09 3:31pm

OK so the day didn't go quite as planned.

Started in the middle of the group, that was OK.
Stayed with the second pack to Paekakariki Hill, up the hill was OK, six riders got away and couldn't catch them in to the head wind going down.
Got caught up by another group and stayed with them as the rain set in and we headed over the Haywards Hill....Then..
The rider in front brakes for some reason and i brush there back wheel, that was OK, then they moved left and my front wheel is gone and down i go. Oh Shit..
Hit the road, roll, curl in to a ball and worry about the guys that are behind me, hope that they are going to be OK.
Some one rides in to me, ouch, roll to the side of the road and keep out the way.
A few guys stop and see that i'm OK, one other rider is down but he seems OK. He got up and checked i was OK and kept going.
Thanks heaps to the guys that stopped and looked after me, it was really appreciated.
Some friends going the other way in the car stopped and rang the wife.
Wife them has to make a side trip to the hospital. Some decent grazes and some serious pain killers later i get home.
The bike is not looking to good, bar tape ripped, Shifters all banged up, rear derailleur and hanger bent, saddle ripped, and the new helmet is now toast.
Oh well the wounds will heal and the bike bits can be replaced.

Thanks again to those that lost some of there race time to help me out.
Rider
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby bigmig on Sun 22/Mar/09 3:51pm

Rider wrote:OK so the day didn't go quite as planned.

The rider in front brakes for some reason and i brush there back wheel, that was OK, then they moved left and my front wheel is gone and down i go. Oh Shit..

Rider, since you weren't at the finish for the "official photographer", send us your bib number if you like and we'll have a look and see if we have a photo of you whilst you were still upright :) .
bigmig

Postby Tugboat on Sun 22/Mar/09 4:11pm

Shit that sounds nasty rider... at least no serious injuries though.

I thoroughly enjoyed today's ride apart from the cold and the wet stuff. Strictly a training ride for me ahead of the Flyer in a couple of weeks time. Set myself two goals though... first was to stay with the lead group to the start of the Paekak climb (for a bit of leg speed work) and second was to do it in under 3 1/2 hrs. Can tick both of them off after rolling over the finish line in 3:18 so I'm happy with how the day went. :)
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Flynnster on Sun 22/Mar/09 6:10pm

Rider, I hope you are alright? :( I must have been back a way when it happened - I guess it was you I saw you getting looked after when I went past - I hope you heal well and the insurance covers the bike.

I had a good ride coming in a shade over 3 hours. I managed to get up Paekak ok and hook onto a bunch going down the other side and then over Haywards. I had 10 minutes of glory along the river road as I attempted to speed the pace of the bunch i was in up and ended up shooting off the front and catching a small group of four about 2/3km up the road. We all came back together after the turn off at Brown Owl.

My ride over the akas was a solo effort where I passed a few people. After the descent i hammered it to the finish line with a couple of guys (one had a roadworks jersey one). I would like to think that I blew him away in the sprint but methinks he eased up :)

It was great to catch up with Matt, Tugboat, and Klarkash-ton at the end and enjoy the coffee etc courtesy of a christian group that was set up outside the memorial hall.

All in all a great day and special thanks to the organisers, volunteers, cops, and everyone else who was involved who made it such a great event! A big WOOOT is deserved. :) :)

I'll be back next year.
Flynnster
"descending like my grandmother on a 70’s chopper"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby nzmatto on Sun 22/Mar/09 8:04pm

My turn.
Earlier in the thread I gave my 4 hour plan....then said "In reality if things work well on the day for me I should finish between 3:30 and 3:45."

So how'd I do.....well....I never allowed for the cold and wet. And even though I had some really rough times mentally I managed to keep the k's ticking over and made it to the finish. The big plus came after I got home tonight and finally had some food. I sort of got too busy and missed out on lunch, then dropped in at a mates place on the way home....etc.
Where was I.....oh yeah, the big plus came when I checked my time online tonight....3:46:01 Stoked!!!

I have racked up 181km's for the weekend and am feeling good. I have a full ride report on my blog here:
http://nzmatto.spaces.live.com/

I took a couple of pics at the start then my camera went flat bugger it.
KCC 003.JPG
KCC 005.JPG
KCC 006.JPG
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby nzmatto on Sun 22/Mar/09 8:05pm

Flynnster wrote:
It was great to catch up with Matt, Tugboat, and Klarkash-ton at the end and enjoy the coffee etc courtesy of a christian group that was set up outside the memorial hall.

All in all a great day and special thanks to the organisers, volunteers, cops, and everyone else who was involved who made it such a great event! A big WOOOT is deserved. :) :)

I'll be back next year.

2nd all of those....and I'll be back next year too....if it is not so freakin cold!
nzmatto

Postby bigmig on Sun 22/Mar/09 8:22pm

nzmatto wrote:I took a couple of pics at the start then my camera went flat bugger it.

NZMatto, want to do a photo swap again? Let me know your bib number and I'll see if I got a decent photo of you.
bigmig

Postby nzmatto on Sun 22/Mar/09 8:30pm

That was quick!!! 3 photo's on the email now. I was 167.

Thanks Matt
nzmatto

Postby JohnDH on Sun 22/Mar/09 8:34pm

bigmig wrote:Well done to all of you who braved the cold today for the Kapiti Challenge this morning. I recognised a few of you from the Hospi Ride last week, so hopefully I managed to capture a few more images of you. We were almost at the top of the Paekak Hill (ouch, looked tough) and then at the finish line. About 450 entrants, well done to the organisers!
Bigmig, thanks for the excellent race report on your website. Sounds intense at the pointy end of the Akatarawa descent!
Rider, it's good that you're not hurt big time, but ouch! After my fall last week I found Chrystacide [sp?] excellent for keeping the road rash and cuts healing, arnica cream for bruises and swelling, and on advice of a pharmacist a mixture of ibuprofen and paracetamol as anti-inflammatory meds and pain relief.
The ride sounds great today, sounds like goals were achieved, well done to everyone in testing conditions and here's to next year!
JohnDH
"Undulating"
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Cycling | Kapiti Coast | Lower North Island | New Zealand | News | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Wellington Region - Latest Posts