Postby brispuss on Sat 15/Nov/08 1:11pm

nzmatto wrote: . . . and my two front rings are 50 + 32 . .

Didn't you get a Trek 1.2 bike? I think these bikes come with either a compact double crank (50/34), or a triple crank (50/39/30).

The road bike I bought recently has a standard double crank (53/39) and a 12~23 cassette.

I've ordered another road bike with a triple crank (50/39/30) and a 11~25 cassette. But I might change the cassette for a 12~27 or 12~28 to help with hill climbs.

The bike I currently use for hill climbs is a flatbar with triple crank (50/39/30) and a 12~27 cassette.
brispuss
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby neels on Sat 15/Nov/08 1:21pm

Riding in Nelson this morning, from town up washington valley and half way up princes drive, then back down and around to tahuna, rail reserve to richmond with a few detours up hills and back along coast, over the hill into town via bishopdale. Hadn't been out long enough so went for another lap around rocks to tahuna and back over the hill to town. Nice having so many hills to choose from :thumbsup:
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby nzmatto on Sat 15/Nov/08 1:39pm

brispuss wrote:
nzmatto wrote: . . . and my two front rings are 50 + 32 . .

Didn't you get a Trek 1.2 bike? I think these bikes come with either a compact double crank (50/34), or a triple crank (50/39/30).

The road bike I bought recently has a standard double crank (53/39) and a 12~23 cassette.

I've ordered another road bike with a triple crank (50/39/30) and a 11~25 cassette. But I might change the cassette for a 12~27 or 12~28 to help with hill climbs.

The bike I currently use for hill climbs is a flatbar with triple crank (50/39/30) and a 12~27 cassette.

maybe it was 50/34 then....it is only 2 rings though. I see they had a 3 ring model, but I am happy with what I've got. If I can do blue mountains, and Maungaraki, then I dont think there is anything on the taupo ride I wont be able to handle. :D
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Oli on Sat 15/Nov/08 1:46pm

Yep, as far as I know there's no compact chainset that comes with a 32 small ring - 34 and 36 is common.
Oli
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby mfw on Sat 15/Nov/08 2:06pm

Re: Mt Pleasant
Ahad wrote: Man your keen mfw! 3wks off and you go for a ride like that! Respect!

Well I had no choice as I am playing catchup :crazy: However, the main reason that ride was possible was due to my super low 30-25 (or 32 gear inches) :D

BTW: Maffey's was rideable (to prove my workmate wrong), however, it is the hardest road climb I can ever remember doing, the front end coming off the ground at times (unusual on the roadie!), and my arms were well pumped at the end (stood whole way), all that in only 400 sweet metres!
Still would only rate at difficulty rating 7/8 though if say Bowenvale 4WD track is a 10.
mfw
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Spokes on Sat 15/Nov/08 2:11pm

Took my Bianchi out on a bunch ride this morning, not bad considering its set up SS. Intresting to be on a roady again, even if its a 20 year old one.....
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby nzmatto on Sat 15/Nov/08 2:16pm

Oli wrote: Yep, as far as I know there's no compact chainset that comes with a 32 small ring - 34 and 36 is common.

OK, ok, so I can count.....and I didn't have to either :D
Riding 15-11 004.JPG
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby OliverBendix on Sat 15/Nov/08 3:45pm

Akatarawa loop this morning, anti-clockwise including Waterfall road - the gravel bit seems shorter every time I do it - and Paekakariki Hill Road. I often get a headache a couple of hours after a ride like that but didn't today, which I put down to drinking nearly four bottles of water, more than I usually would have.
OliverBendix
"Punter"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby brispuss on Sat 15/Nov/08 5:27pm

OliverBendix wrote: Akatarawa loop this morning, anti-clockwise including Waterfall road - the gravel bit seems shorter every time I do it - and Paekakariki Hill Road. I often get a headache a couple of hours after a ride like that but didn't today, which I put down to drinking nearly four bottles of water, more than I usually would have.

That is an impressive ride, particularly with those hills to deal with as well! About 115 km?

If you don't mind me asking? What gearing do you have on your bike? And what tyres do you use?

Are you doing the Taupo ride as well?

Regarding headaches during and/or after rides. It is my understanding that they can be caused by lack of nutrition and lack of water in particular. With warmer weather coming, it will be particularly important to drink more water than usual. I usually carry two bottles of water for rides up to about 60~70 km. And I find that I usually drink most if not all of that water.

Good ride! :)
brispuss
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby specializedman on Sat 15/Nov/08 5:45pm

neels wrote: Riding in Nelson this morning, from town up washington valley and half way up princes drive, then back down and around to tahuna, rail reserve to richmond with a few detours up hills and back along coast, over the hill into town via bishopdale. Hadn't been out long enough so went for another lap around rocks to tahuna and back over the hill to town. Nice having so many hills to choose from :thumbsup:

I rode out tahuna way also (totaly different tahuna) 60km in total 3 times over quine rd though!
Also just found out I might be riding taupo in 2 weeks time, Time to do some work I guess!
specializedman
"I am a very biking boy."
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby chchbob on Sat 15/Nov/08 5:47pm

Great ride today, early start from home (7:30) and was a big on the foggy side, into Christchurch, up Dyers to SOK, setting a PB 20:38, fog cleared on the way up. From SOK up the summit towards Gebbies, awesome views of the harbour from up there, with the fog/mist out towards the heads and Lyttleton but the bottomof the harbour was just like glass. Down the bastard to Gebbies pass, teddington and then around to Lyttleton clear and hot and sunny all the way. Up and over Evans to Sumner for a coffee, which was still in mist/fog then back into town, then the 30km trek back home.

All up
D - 115 kms
T - 4:15
Avg 27 kph

Would have to say an awesome day in canterbury ... Quite a few bikes out as well ... WOOT roll on summer!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
chchbob
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby Fergie on Sat 15/Nov/08 6:55pm

Halswell Sumner after work. Pretty hot going in the new improved 14kg fat suit and the wind was pretty mean coming back from Redcliffs.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby OliverBendix on Sat 15/Nov/08 7:34pm

brispuss wrote:
OliverBendix wrote:Akatarawa loop
About 115 km?
110 from my place.
If you don't mind me asking? What gearing do you have on your bike? And what tyres do you use?

Are you doing the Taupo ride as well?
I have a 50-34 compact, with a 12-23 8-speed cassette, Maxxis Detonators because they were cheapish, and no I'm not doing Taupo.
Regarding headaches during and/or after rides. It is my understanding that they can be caused by lack of nutrition and lack of water in particular.
Yeah, I'm sure it's lack of water. I don't usually drink enough.
Good ride!
Popular too today, I saw quite a few people out there.
OliverBendix
"Punter"

Postby Flynnster on Sat 15/Nov/08 8:03pm

OliverBendix wrote: Akatarawa loop this morning, anti-clockwise including Waterfall road - the gravel bit seems shorter every time I do it - and Paekakariki Hill Road. I often get a headache a couple of hours after a ride like that but didn't today, which I put down to drinking nearly four bottles of water, more than I usually would have.

I'm planning to the same ride tomorrow morning but have received conflicting advice re cycling on SH1. is it ok or are there any hairy bits I should watch out for? Any advice would be great. thanks.
Flynnster
"descending like my grandmother on a 70’s chopper"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby OliverBendix on Sat 15/Nov/08 8:29pm

SH1 is alright from Waikanae to Paekakariki, there's a reasonably wide shoulder most of the time.There are the odd dodgy bits, like a bridge just south of Waikanae - I think I'd I'd wait a bit if a big truck was coming up behind me there. I plotted this loop on Bikely a while ago, see here, and you can see the small detour from Paraparaumu through Waterfall Road that cuts out a bit of SH1 at the cost of having to ride a short gravel road section.
OliverBendix
"Punter"

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts