Postby neels on Wed 12/Nov/08 9:43pm

Out for a bunch ride this evening, PMH to tai tapu with a detour up kennedys bush rd, then finished off up dyers pass rd to cup and down hackthorne. Legs working muchly better tonight :)
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby dhroadie on Thu 13/Nov/08 9:38am

Tugboat wrote: Primo evening for riding in Welly tonight (it's been a long time since I've said that) so rode home from work via Makara, Mt Crawford and Mt Victoria. Felt good although was never pushing it evidenced by the 12:20 cruise up Makara Hill - a time that won't be going in the hill climb thread!! :blush:

Yep lovely night for a ride last night. I did Bays reverse so finished at Oriental, there were a metric shitload of runners/walkers along there wearing blue tshirts about 7pm.
Grunted up Brooklyn and Todman to home, has to be good for me.

Lots and lots of riders out which was great to see. Traffic also well-behaved :thumbsup:
dhroadie
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Lozz on Thu 13/Nov/08 7:06pm

Papanui-SOK-Govenors-gebbies-bastrd-SOK-Mcleans loop.

minta of a day 100km was a phat day to be on the bike. Ruined by sum dizzy old bitch that did a u turn in front of me and didnt make it round so stopped in front of me- had to use my 'mad skilz' as MC Hamdog would call it and dive onto the curb at 40kmh :crazy: Unfortunately for MC, my mad skilz prevented him from selling another bike :p

Looking forward to getting intimate with the hurt box on saturday!!!!! :satan:
Lozz
"Shaven and misbehave'n"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Fergie on Thu 13/Nov/08 11:18pm

Had a new coaching client after work then fitting my Powertap to my new Pinarello (im a bit happy about my latest toy if you can't tell) so it's micro intervals at 10am again. Bit buggered so would have to rate my effort as p**s poor.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby RJM on Fri 14/Nov/08 7:39am

Wednesday here in the third City of New Zealand (thanks to 300 losers who moved to Christchurch) was fanastic - got home from town to Upper Hutt but decided to keep ridi ng - did the tour de Whitemans run a couple of times - days like that is why we ride I guess.
RJM
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby nzmatto on Fri 14/Nov/08 9:45am

Got out late last night, so watched the sun go down and completed my 50km in the dark.
Went from Petone to the end of Eastbourne, turned around and in to thorndon, back to Petone, along the esplanade and back to be happy to see the car at about 9.30pm.

All up 49.96k in 102:15 avg 29.9kph. Hit a top speed of 44.6kph on SH2 somewhere between Petone and Ngauranga.....I know it wasn't on the little down ramp thing, but I don't know where it was.

It was great to see the sun setting and get myself feeling good prior to the weekend.
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby RJM on Fri 14/Nov/08 9:51am

nzmatto wrote: Got out late last night, so watched the sun go down and completed my 50km in the dark.
Went from Petone to the end of Eastbourne, turned around and in to thorndon, back to Petone, along the esplanade and back to be happy to see the car at about 9.30pm.

All up 49.96k in 102:15 avg 29.9kph. Hit a top speed of 44.6kph on SH2 somewhere between Petone and Ngauranga.....I know it wasn't on the little down ramp thing, but I don't know where it was.

It was great to see the sun setting and get myself feeling good prior to the weekend.

Stunning wasn't it - got to see the sun come up myself - there are great little spots just before the BP and between the BP and the Quarry turnoff that with a southernly you can really fly. Today sucks a little though.
RJM
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby Fergie on Fri 14/Nov/08 12:20pm

Canterbury day so told the boss to bugger off when he asked if I wanted to work. Got to take my new pride and joy for a spin round the Bays in the glorius sunshine. Handle like a dream, climbs well and did a 60sec maximal and is pretty good for that too!

Stopped for a coffee at CC Sumner meeting Spyder there and then Glen Fuller and Tony Strang. Great to see so many riders out enjoying such a great day. In the end it was a ride of two halves and cycling was the winner!
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."

Postby Fergie on Fri 14/Nov/08 12:26pm

WTF was nearly taken out by the big white bus shuttling DH cyclists up to Mt Vic Park. Got the rego and will file a complaint with the Police about his driving!
Fergie

Postby Spyder on Fri 14/Nov/08 12:30pm

Yep, 79km on the flat (invisible hills thanks to the wind) today. Short Bays yesterday. Hoping that Danose will be impressed because I did the lower section of Hackthorne in 39-21 (gears not min!). Hill times were down slightly on previous go, but overall time was 3min faster. Will try and do Long Bays tomorrow AM, hopefully before the heat/wind pickup.

Fergie's bike look pretty flash in the flesh. Lot's of people out.

Have also revised FoC plan. Will stop at Lyttelton for a coffee and a re-charge and then really hammer the last 12k :D
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Fergie on Fri 14/Nov/08 1:28pm

My plan is to achieve an excellent ride time by utilising micro efforts from pub to pub to ensure energy supplies do not get depleted! I know caffeine is good for fat burning so will mix in Pub stops with all cafes along the way.
Fergie

Postby mfw on Fri 14/Nov/08 4:38pm

Spyder wrote:Short Bays yesterday. Hoping that Danose will be impressed because I did the lower section of Hackthorne in 39-21 (gears not min!)

Danose about to wrote:Should be running 42-21 for short port hills rides like this, 39-21 is more suitable for long hills and/or touring, but at least it's not a triple
:p
mfw
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby mfw on Fri 14/Nov/08 4:47pm

Mt Pleasant-fest for me this afternoon, to get the legs going again after 3 weeks sickness layoff.

Took in Cannon hill / Major Hornbrook, then the infamous Maffey's ( :cry: 400m of 40rpm misery, 5.4kph av!) / Soleares to Moncks, then finally Glenstrae / Moncks up to Summit rd :D
Mt P-fest.jpg
Last edited by mfw on Fri 14/Nov/08 5:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
mfw
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby brispuss on Fri 14/Nov/08 5:31pm

Rode up Wallaceville Rd, N through Mangaroa, than back S on SH2 at Te Marua.

I think someone said something about a granny being able to ride up Wallaceville Rd, so I did a test ride up the road to see how easy/hard it was. Although the road is not steep, I had to stop twice briefly to catch my breath. :blush: Shows how unfit I am. But, if a granny can ride up this road, then she must be related to Superman! :crazy:

Maximum speed ~ 50 kph (on SH2 entering Upper Hutt). Average speed ~ 22 kph. Average speed down due to slow climb up Wallaceville Rd and cycling back into a light southerly breeze.

Trip was ruined by aching sit bones and genitals, despite wearing Deanolite shorts!? :angry: Had to stop about 5 or 6 times to rest my aching groin and to make adjustments to the saddle angle and fore/aft position. But the adjustments seemed to give little or no improvement in comfort. I think it may be new saddle time. Or maybe need better quality shorts?

Also a bit disappointed in slow progress up Wallaceville Rd especially since I managed to ride up some climbs along Akatarawa Rd recently reasonably well I thought. But it seems my fitness is still not good enough. :0

63 km
brispuss
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby Ahad on Fri 14/Nov/08 6:01pm

Man your keen mfw! 3wks off and you go for a ride like that! Respect!
Smashed myself last week. After 5days riding hills in a row was 4mins slower up Dyers and my Heart rate was struggling to get over 140bpm (usually 150/160)!

So stayed at home and planted tomatos and beans today instead. :cool: Need a good couple of days off me thinks...
Ahad
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts