Worsley's "hidden Track" - Landowner Not Happy

Postby pedalingkiwi on Mon 17/Mar/08 3:48pm

I note mention of a Worsley's Hidden Track in an adjacent thread.

FYI an email this morning from a mtbking buddy reads;

"The lovely piece of track next to Worsleys is now inaccessible.
Someone I know tried it on Sunday. The entry point has a sign on it saying “no thoroughfareâ€
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby Percy Pig on Mon 17/Mar/08 3:54pm

No surprise really, well the only surprise is that its lasted this long! :(

If your mate can get access that would be awesome though! :thumbsup: :cool: :love:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby Butch on Mon 17/Mar/08 3:59pm

The thing that pisses me off, is that since the tracks been built there without their permission, they're now more than likely fcuked off with mountain bikers in general, which will more than likely make it less likely to get lrgitimate trails in there! :angry:

And I didn't even get to ride it.. :hmmm:
Butch
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space!"
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby scatter on Mon 17/Mar/08 4:01pm

All I can say is well done! :hmmm:

Hopefully this hasn't hindered getting eventual legal access to the area
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby danose on Mon 17/Mar/08 4:03pm

Butch wrote:And I didn't even get to ride it.. :hmmm:

I knew about it - but intentionally avoided riding it since I always thought the concept was fundamentally mong-ish (and bound to end exactly how it did - same as the previous iteration of illegal tracks in that forest)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Butch on Mon 17/Mar/08 4:08pm

Yeah, I was the same actually. I first found out about it when I rode past the end on the way up Worsleys, and was pretty bummed when I made some enquirys and found out the story.

From the hundred meters or so I saw, it looked like a pretty cool track too. :(
Butch

Postby XCrider on Mon 17/Mar/08 8:26pm

Dam that was a mint track but i always wondered who owned the land from who i talked to about it no one seemed to know. But this was bound to happen, i just wonder if the other tracks have been found down there :eh:
XCrider
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Butch on Mon 17/Mar/08 8:27pm

Pretty much guarantee it.
Butch

Postby scatter on Mon 17/Mar/08 8:31pm

XCrider wrote: i always wondered who owned the land from who i talked to about it no one seemed to know

Really? Fark, I've only lived in this town 9 months and even I knew that it's McVicars and is out-of-bounds :eh:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"

Postby XCrider on Mon 17/Mar/08 8:33pm

scatter wrote:
XCrider wrote: i always wondered who owned the land from who i talked to about it no one seemed to know

Really? Fark, I've only lived in this town 9 months and even I knew that it's McVicars and is out-of-bounds :eh:

:0 no way ive lived 3 minutes down the road for 20 years and i didnt, i bet thats a nice piece of land to own
XCrider
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby davethemann on Mon 17/Mar/08 8:39pm

danose wrote:I knew about it - but intentionally avoided riding it since I always thought the concept was fundamentally mong-ish (and bound to end exactly how it did - same as the previous iteration of illegal tracks in that forest)

Much the same here. Some of my mates have ridden it but I always wondered about it considering you had to cross what looked like private land to get to the start.

If you're going to go to all the effort to dig a nice trail it seems a bit of a waste to do it illegally. It's pretty much guaranteed to disappear without warning AND you affect our collective reputation in such a way that it makes it a lot harder to get legitimate access in the future.
davethemann
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Stun on Mon 17/Mar/08 8:58pm

That's all very sad and predictable.
If other people go back and try to 'restore' the trail without permission - things could get MUCH worse for everyone.

If any Vorbers know people who ride it, let them know that the very worst thing they could do, is try and ride the track until / if it's legitimate.
Stun

Postby Slim on Mon 17/Mar/08 9:05pm

davethemann wrote:
danose wrote:I knew about it - but intentionally avoided riding it since I always thought the concept was fundamentally mong-ish (and bound to end exactly how it did - same as the previous iteration of illegal tracks in that forest)

Much the same here. Some of my mates have ridden it but I always wondered about it considering you had to cross what looked like private land to get to the start.

If you're going to go to all the effort to dig a nice trail it seems a bit of a waste to do it illegally. It's pretty much guaranteed to disappear without warning AND you affect our collective reputation in such a way that it makes it a lot harder to get legitimate access in the future.

I intentionally avoided the trail as well, I am the president of the McQueens Valley MTB club, and as a legitimate trail builder, it is best not to get caught building or riding illegal trails.

If people want to build trails that will be around for years, I can organise permission to build on the clubs land, and then trails can be open for all club members to enjoy.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby GravityCanterbury on Tue 18/Mar/08 6:56am

The long term plan for McVicars is that the council will hopefully purchase it and then we can develop it into legal trails :)
GravityCanterbury
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 18/Mar/08 8:13am

GravityCanterbury wrote: The long term plan for McVicars is that the council will hopefully purchase it and then we can develop it into legal trails :)

The Council purchase is at least 5 years away, so anything we can do in the mean time is a bonus. :)
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Canterbury | Cycling | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts