Advice Wanted On Why My Hayes Lost Power?

Postby mrgreen on Mon 1/Jan/07 1:19pm

Without having to go all the way back to the mechanic,any idea on why my recently serviced Hayes have lost braking power?Front lever works but nearly all the way in.(hyd not mech).Cheers :hmmm:
mrgreen
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Rooney on Mon 1/Jan/07 1:25pm

all hayes brakes do that. Just wind the lever adjuster screw thingy out..or maybe they need a bleed.
Rooney
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby Bigfoot on Mon 1/Jan/07 1:32pm

Rooney wrote: all hayes brakes do that. Just wind the lever adjuster screw thingy out..or maybe they need a bleed.

except mine... and joonas'... and nearly everyone i know who runs them.

but yeah, its most likely just the little adjustment screw.
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby ashesman on Mon 1/Jan/07 1:32pm

Yeah, hayes levers tend to adjust themselves in. Just screw the adjuster inside the lever back out to where you like it. If they are soles, then you may need to adjust up the pads at the callipers. If they are adjusted OK and have gone all spongy feeling then they may need bleeding...
ashesman

Postby mrgreen on Mon 1/Jan/07 2:31pm

Just tried it and sucess.Good job team back to headquarters for cocktails and debriefing
mrgreen

Postby Bigfoot on Mon 1/Jan/07 4:15pm

Someone should confirm or deny this, but i think a little bit of blue loc-tite does the trick if they are chronic :)
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby danose on Mon 1/Jan/07 4:19pm

Bigfoot wrote: Someone should confirm or deny this, but i think a little bit of blue loc-tite does the trick if they are chronic :)

normally cures it, though it often pays to clean with proper loctite prep as if it's at all dirty/contaminated the loctite won't hold (tiny threads) and you'll find it starts to creep again after 2-3 months
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby Stun on Mon 1/Jan/07 5:35pm

danose wrote:
Bigfoot wrote: Someone should confirm or deny this, but i think a little bit of blue loc-tite does the trick if they are chronic :)

normally cures it, though it often pays to clean with proper loctite prep as if it's at all dirty/contaminated the loctite won't hold (tiny threads) and you'll find it starts to creep again after 2-3 months

Yep.
You may get lucky* if you only use loctite...
But odds on, you'll have a better level of success if you prep the threads correctly and allow the loctite to set properly. :)

*hurhur
Stun
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby Simon_K on Mon 1/Jan/07 9:46pm

I used Tamiya thread lock from my local hobby shop. Dries to a slightly gummy consistency which wil prevent the grub screw loosening through general use. Will still be easy to adjust though.

I'd used some Loctite stuff before and found it was rubbish.
Simon_K
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby Dougal on Mon 1/Jan/07 9:49pm

I've noticed west coast rust does the job too. :huh:
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby mrgreen on Sun 7/Jan/07 10:24am

used plumbers thread tape let ya know how it went
mrgreen

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts