Re: Post Your Ride 2019

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 9th Jul 10:38am

Nice, lots of linkage. Report?
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 9th Jul 7:32pm

The least fatiguing, most grippiest, most planted, most stable-for-the-size, most efficient underfoot (both pedalling and pumping the bike etc) 160mm bike that there is. To put it simply. :thumbsup:

It adds a little bit of weight, and I guess removes a small amount of drivetrain efficiency though I don't really feel it, but the advantages outweigh that so much that it's less than a non-issue. And from all accounts the frames are very strong. it's also very stiff, which I didn't expect.

It pedals like a peppy 140mm bike, except with super low pedal feedback. You can stand up, get full on the gas with flat pedals, and just huss it over rooty chundery crap and not have to worry at all.

Your body input into the bike feels like it's going into a 140mm trail bike, set up firm. Normally I run very little sag - 20-25% in the rear I guess. On this bike I'm near 30% and loving it. I can run more because I can run enough compression damping to provide support instead of relying on the spring. The bike feels over-damped in the carpark - pumping the bike and through turns, it feels like you're pushing substantially against the damper. It makes it incredibly responsive to all of your inputs.

it can be set up this way because the suspension is so easily activated from the terrain. The over-damped feel is gone as soon as you see choppy shitty terrain going under your feet and it pretty much just disappears. My 170mm 36 is completely outclassed and so I'm putting a coil helm on there to hopefully add some more capability to the front, to feel like i'm testing the rear end before my wrists and hands give out.

People who talk shit on high pivot bikes because of "brake jack" are fools. The suspension sags slightly under braking. it's great. It remains active and still works mint, and getting back on a normal bike makes you realise how much they pitch you forward under braking, and how much you have to compensate with body position.

The bike doesn't shorten as much when the suspension is compressed. Most 160mm bikes will shorten at the back end by ~5-10mm at bottom out. This bike extends by 48mm. The overall wheelbase still shortens as you go through the stroke thanks to the fork, but to a much much lesser extent than a normal bike. The bike feels very stable in really high load situations.
AgrAde
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 9th Jul 8:04pm

Sounds delicious, I hope you get some time on a Druid to compare.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Wed 24th Jul 10:22pm

The perfect mudguard doesn't exi...
67304661_10157400797792594_6051028893320609792_o.jpg
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Postby Purple_Helmet on Mon 12th Aug 10:48am

Vorb lives! it's been a while. Back into pushies after a lengthy child rearing hiatus. Existing bike was a DMR trailstar with triples (and cut off denim shorts) from a couple of decades ago, so thought I'd stay true to form and get a hardtail with unnecessarily large forks. Ended up with a 2019 Commencal Meta HT AM. Couldn't be much more different than the dmr. Love it. And it's goddamn sexy.

The Sram level brakes squeal like stuck pigs though. Might have got crap on the rotors? Tried cleaning thoroughly with IPA and a light sanding of the discs and pads to no avail. Common advice is to fix by replacement with Shimano. Any other advice appreciated. Chur.

C.jpg
:)
Purple_Helmet
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby el_booto on Mon 12th Aug 3:39pm

Go find some mud
Schmear it on the rotors
Ride
Repeat til they stop, if this fails: replace with shimano

Bike looks choice, long live the hardtail :thumbsup:
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby Purple_Helmet on Mon 12th Aug 7:07pm

el_booto wrote:Go find some mud
Schmear it on the rotors
Ride
Repeat til they stop, if this fails: replace with shimano

Sounds good. Will do. Ta
Purple_Helmet

Postby Conners on Wed 11th Sep 8:45pm

Grandads axe couldn't go on forever, and I've taken the step up to modern everything with a Trance 29er 1 (2019, aluminium frame). Only change from stock was to swap the Guides for the XTs I put on my old Trance relatively recently.

First ride today and I'm totally stoked. This does everything it says on the packet, rooty and rocky holes that were wheel catchers on the 26" were just ridden through, its super stable and it really does feel like its got more than its 115 rear and 130 front travel.

Also didn't feel any negative effects from the big wheels that I was worried about. Switchbacks were no problem, and it doesn't wander on the climbs at all. If I get 12 years out of this one I'll be a happy boy - but god knows what we'll be riding (or pining after) by then...

IMG_2511(2).jpg
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby dwgknz on Wed 11th Sep 11:49pm

Nice!

I haven’t found much that my Trance 29 hasn’t taken in its stride both in Halifax or over here in Nova Scotia. Ate up the climbs and descents in Wellington and eats up the technical rocks and roots here.
dwgknz
Member for: 6 years 7 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 18th Sep 10:11am

Nice one Conners, good to hear some of the old axe went straight on there - grandad cares about continuity.
I'm starting to get the feeling 650b was just a baby step to let the customers adjust while 29 got sorted out.
Velocipedestrian

Postby Conners on Wed 18th Sep 11:42am

Velocipedestrian wrote:grandad cares about continuity.

True - I hadn't actually thought about it like that! So I could've told my wife it was the same bike all along...
Interestingly though the brakes and pedals are about the only things that could come over - every other standard has changed in the meantime (boost/steerer diameter/bar diameter/bb/metric shock/freehub/chainring mounting...). I guess seat/seatpost and grips would fit.
Velocipedestrian wrote:I'm starting to get the feeling 650b was just a baby step to let the customers adjust while 29 got sorted out.

Certainly a lot of people heading that way now. I was always a nay-sayer about big wheels but certainly feels like most of the manufacturers are getting them dialled in now
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby OliverBendix on Wed 18th Sep 4:47pm

Hooray! I bought the same bike in Feb. Continuity assured by using pedals I'd had since about 2009, but I've finally lost the ability to use the front 9mm QR I've been using since 1995.

It's a brilliant bike for Wellington.
OliverBendix
"Punter"

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 12th Oct 5:48pm

p3pb17856655.jpg

New ultra, yeah it's got hell stack atm but I'm working out where I want my bar height before I cut.
Its very fast up and on the flat, a hell of a lot more comfortable than my rootdown (L Vs M/L)
Feels great with the 70mm stem but a bit sketch descending, might try a 50mm and see...

Black aeffectR cranks and fork decals are coming.

Built it up and it wasn't till I hung it on the back of my car that I realized i had copied its colour scheme, lol.

p3pb17856688.jpg
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Cycling - Latest Posts