Re: Post Your Ride 2018

Postby Conners on Sun 2/Dec/18 5:21pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:Rad.
The grown up lego aspect of bikes has been a favourite thing of mine for a long time. Damn the standard changes that make it hard to swap the handle or the blade.

Keeping the axe, and allowing more funds than currently available, what would you change next?

Oohhhhhh that’s an interesting one...
I was tempted when Wachy was selling his 5 Spot to go for his Enves. But couldn’t justify it to myself.
A burlier fork would be the only other thing that comes to mind (less noodles but not necessarily much more travel - frame was only designed around 100mm, currently running 120mm). Well, Di2 I guess if money was really no object :rolleyes:

But really, geometry and standards have moved on so much that the next logical step is a whole new axe. Modern geo, bigger wheels, wider rims, boost etc etc. There is so much that is wrapped into a whole new bike that it really isn’t worth doing any more than replacing parts as they’re worn out on this one.

Interestingly I’d be pretty tempted by a new Trance. But they’re a whole different beast compared to this one!
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby Dougal on Sun 2/Dec/18 5:29pm

Conners wrote:Last update for 2018, finally had a chance to install both XT brakes and trim the hoses.
Brakes are a massive improvement on the Juicy 7s, which were getting pretty tired.

A740A7DF-881E-4891-A540-31FCDF53949F.jpeg

Haven’t quite achieved Grandads axe status, still rocking a few original parts:
- Frame and shock
- Cranks
- Seat
- Seatpost clamp (had upgraded but back to original with dropper)
- Front shifter (modified and using as dropper remote)
- Rear skewer

Fork serviced and pivots checked/lubed, she’s running mint for her 12th summer :butbut: :thumbsup:

06 model? Damn. It's survived well.
Dougal
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby Conners on Sun 2/Dec/18 6:36pm

Dougal wrote:06 model? Damn. It's survived well.

07, last of the Glory hole frames (I may have mis calculated the number of summers)
Replaced the pivots in 2010, still good now.
To be fair it barely gets ridden if it’s wet/been wet, and definitely doesn’t get ridden as much as it used to. But still, it has survived well.
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby AgrAde on Sun 2/Dec/18 10:43pm

Conners wrote:I was tempted when Wachy was selling his 5 Spot to go for his Enves. But couldn’t justify it to myself.

Good.
4b7a23e7a58d776dc705ee47b56dd163.jpg
AgrAde
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Conners on Mon 3/Dec/18 8:32am

AgrAde wrote:
Conners wrote:I was tempted when Wachy was selling his 5 Spot to go for his Enves. But couldn’t justify it to myself.

Good.

Preeeeeetty sure his were 26”
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 3/Dec/18 9:39am

I think it was more a "flash wheels on a civic" thing
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby AgrAde on Mon 3/Dec/18 12:25pm

Yup. If you're spending that money then you're much better off buying a second hand frame from the twilight era of 26 and putting your bits on to it. It would be a meaningful difference in performance. The enves would be a fleeting feeling of "sweet, bling, feels a tiny bit lighter" before it becomes the same old trance after a week.
AgrAde

Postby Conners on Mon 3/Dec/18 12:31pm

Ha! Yip, totally with you on that one.

I was taking Velo's query as more of a "if you were to keep upgrading but keeping the frame, then what would you do if money was no object", rather than a "what would you actually do".

Even spending money on a new frame to transfer bits across seems like a wasted/futile effort now, with so much new bike on offer for not a whole lot more cash.
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Dougal on Mon 3/Dec/18 1:34pm

Conners wrote:Even spending money on a new frame to transfer bits across seems like a wasted/futile effort now, with so much new bike on offer for not a whole lot more cash.

Keep in mind a lot of new bikes at fantastic prices have terrible suspension and brakes. For example, the open bath Fox fork you've got is better than all of the motion control Rockshox forks. It'll cost about 1.5-2K to sort out many new bikes to the point you're happy with them.
Dougal
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 3/Dec/18 4:07pm

I meant in keeping with the grandads axe theme - the handle(frame) is up for replacement too.

It made me think about mine, recent wheel update along with some tardme updates over the last year means the parts I've had the longest have only been with me for 5-6 years.

The HT is more telling, as the beneficiary of the trickle down theory.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby Conners on Mon 3/Dec/18 6:32pm

Sound advice from the vorbcensus as always.
Frame-wise something along the lines of the last of the 5 Spots (circa 2012?) would be about as close to what I’d want.

But then that would need a 6” fork. And probably had a 142mm hub spacing...
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Grumpyoldman on Mon 3/Dec/18 7:02pm

In keeping with Conners theme, my 2006 Reign.
Only original bits are the shifters and front derailleur
Reign.jpg
Grumpyoldman
"Hood Ornament"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 3/Dec/18 7:25pm

Somebody swapped in a Swinger? Didn't those come stock?
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby Grumpyoldman on Mon 3/Dec/18 8:29pm

Doh, forgot about that, shifters, front derailleur and shock.
Grumpyoldman
"Hood Ornament"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby AgrAde on Mon 3/Dec/18 11:53pm

Conners wrote:Even spending money on a new frame to transfer bits across seems like a wasted/futile effort now, with so much new bike on offer for not a whole lot more cash.

Dunno, could stumble on something cheap that fits the bill??

I bought the patrol frame back for $300. It's now specced better than it was when it was my main bike :huh:
0.jpg
AgrAde

Cycling - Latest Posts