Re: Post Your Ride 2018

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 28th Jun 4:59pm

Yeah, I figured.
Can we read these reviews somewhere?
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby AgrAde on Thu 28th Jun 6:55pm

I ordered a Capra and have since received a Nomad 4 thanks to the excellent Santa Cruz warranty. The new one is obscenely good looking and has amazing build quality. Very cool frame. The Nukeproof is the bike I'm currently riding and the new spare bike that replaces the Ellsworth (or possibly is in addition to?).

NZ MTBer Mag sends me the occasional enderpo bike to review as well as clothing/protective gear/componentry. Occasionally I do an article. It's a laugh. Capra is in the next one, all i have in the current mag is a photo of myself having a massive OTB :huh: . Might be getting my hands on a Ripmo in the next few weeks. Cross fingers! It looks super rad on paper so hopefully it's a 29er that I actually get on well with.
AgrAde
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby herbman on Mon 2nd Jul 12:39am

The current toys

The patrol currently has a fox dhx4 coil bolted to it. And is a far better bike than I am a rider. But the rocky thunderbolt is the daily driver at the moment. Fitted with a 140mm pike up front and some meaty tires, it punches far above it weight and travel.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
herbman
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby herbman on Mon 2nd Jul 1:07am

Dougal wrote:
wachtourak wrote:If you think you need 44:11 you need to spin faster

I've spun 50:15 up to like 70km/h on a velodrome and that's probably a lower gear than 44:11

Just pedal faster you pansy

70km/h (19.4m/s) with a 700c is about 556rpm of the back wheel. With 50:15 that's only 166rpm.
Can you not break 200? :sneaky:

Applying your same (max rpm only) logic to a flattish mtb ride you would hit 30km/h with a 27x2.3" and 11T rear 15T front.

Just pedal faster you pansy. :baaa:

Likewise. Many cars can do 100km/h in 2nd gear. Why do you even need the rest?

I have been away for years and it's like this place has never changed.

Oddly I used to ride the same trails as Dougal and still make it back there once a year to ride bikes and drink beer and I find a 1x11 works fine. The NW ring rings work well so the chain doesn't drop, the gears may ware a bit faster but I now live and ride year round in tasmania where it is a bit wetter than Central Otago. And I have smashed and bent 44 & 42 teeth chain rings on rocks in Alexandra and going by the locals I ride with there it does seem to be the go to set up for the locals. But then I like single track not gravel roads.
herbman
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby Dougal on Tue 3rd Jul 4:34pm

herbman wrote:I have been away for years and it's like this place has never changed.

Oddly I used to ride the same trails as Dougal and still make it back there once a year to ride bikes and drink beer and I find a 1x11 works fine. The NW ring rings work well so the chain doesn't drop, the gears may ware a bit faster but I now live and ride year round in tasmania where it is a bit wetter than Central Otago. And I have smashed and bent 44 & 42 teeth chain rings on rocks in Alexandra and going by the locals I ride with there it does seem to be the go to set up for the locals.

The guys riding here with rigid carbon single speeds will tell you they "work fine". So will the people with terrible suspension and weird geometry. Most people buy what they're told to buy and never look further. Everyone is currently being told to buy 1x.

herbman wrote:But then I like single track not gravel roads.

Is it not cool to ride to the trails and back again? :huh:
Dougal
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Cycling - Latest Posts