Re: Post Your Ride 2018

Postby Dougal on Mon 4/Jun/18 5:48pm

Conners wrote:More importantly, of all of the riding you do - what percentage was that one ride where you ran out of gears?


Over 50%. The climbs here are steep and very few without steep uphill sections if not long stretches. You think I'd be screwing around with parts and gear ranges I didn't need?

Then you've got the missing top-end. If I'm riding on the flat I'm in the 10T. It's like driving a care fro the 1970's with a freaking 4sp manual! I keep reaching for more gears that aren't even there.

Conners wrote:If you really want range, good chainline and less wear, then surely a gearbox is the way forward? ;)


Or 3x! :sneaky:

Internal gearboxes haven't really delivered. They have too much internal drag compared to a chain. Great for E-bikes, great for commuting in crap weather. If you want to by a bike built around one then go for it. But they won't be mainstream anytime soon.
Dougal
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Re: Post Your Ride 2018

Postby Conners on Tue 5/Jun/18 9:02pm

Dougal wrote:
Conners wrote:More importantly, of all of the riding you do - what percentage was that one ride where you ran out of gears?


Over 50%. The climbs here are steep and very few without steep uphill sections if not long stretches.

I was asking mudguard ;)
Dougal wrote:You think I'd be screwing around with parts and gear ranges I didn't need?

No, but I think your anti marketing stance suits your argument :)
Conners
User avatar
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Re: Post Your Ride 2018

Postby Dougal on Wed 6/Jun/18 3:20pm

Conners wrote:No, but I think your anti marketing stance suits your argument :)


I'm all for the marketing of products that are actual improvements. We've seen some real steps forward in bike geometry and tyre size/weight over the last few years. Suspension from most brands is now actually offering improvements instead of just repackaging garbage.

Not everyone rides groomed trails of moderate gradient.
Dougal
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Re: Post Your Ride 2018

Postby Conners on Wed 6/Jun/18 3:33pm

Dougal wrote:
Conners wrote:No, but I think your anti marketing stance suits your argument :)


I'm all for the marketing of products that are actual improvements. We've seen some real steps forward in bike geometry and tyre size/weight over the last few years. Suspension from most brands is now actually offering improvements instead of just repackaging garbage.

Not everyone rides groomed trails of moderate gradient.

It's funny, I was one of the biggest retro grouches around. Whey did we need 9 speed when 8 speed was fine. And better than 9 speed.

But when I did the numbers on my riding, 1x looked like it wasn't too far off what I had (I lost my two very lowest gears, and a few at the top end).
I was cautious about making the change, but when I did I was pleasantly surprised.

Half dropped (and sometimes jammed) chains were the bain of my riding life before (my trails aren't all groomed), but haven't dropped a chain since going 1x (admittedly that is probably as much to do with the clutch mech as the narrow wide ring). I ran out of gears on the climb at Whites Bay/Mt Robertson - but I dare say I would've run out even with my 24 tooth. And these days I'm not in such a hurry, so a small push isn't the end of the world. And neither is tucking in at 50+ kph when I run out of top end.

I'm not saying it works for everyone, but it works for me.
Conners
User avatar
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Re: Post Your Ride 2018

Postby mudguard on Wed 6/Jun/18 4:35pm

Conners wrote:More importantly, of all of the riding you do - what percentage was that one ride where you ran out of gears?

I was asking mudguard ;)
[/quote]

Since dropping the 30t on the front for a 34t I don't think I've ever spun out.

Dougal wrote:Which 1x gearing were you running when you ran out of gears going up the lookout here?


I don't know if I've ridden my bike up to the lookout? The only time I remember was on one of yours, and I got a third of the way up before remembering there was a granny ring!
mudguard
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Re: Post Your Ride 2018

Postby Dougal on Wed 6/Jun/18 5:56pm

mudguard wrote:I don't know if I've ridden my bike up to the lookout? The only time I remember was on one of yours, and I got a third of the way up before remembering there was a granny ring!


You've had that Enduro down here riding at least 3x. It would have been second to last with your ex.
Dougal
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Re: Post Your Ride 2018

Postby AgrAde on Wed 6/Jun/18 10:20pm

Goodbye Capra :(
Goodbye capra.jpg


Goodbye Patrol :(
Goodbye patrol.jpg


Goodbye Tues :(
Goodbye Tues.jpg


Hello old Nomad, even if your visit is going to be brief
Last edited by AgrAde on Sun 10/Jun/18 9:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
AgrAde
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Re: Post Your Ride 2018

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Wed 6/Jun/18 11:00pm

RIP in pieces :(
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Re: Post Your Ride 2018

Postby Conners on Thu 7/Jun/18 9:09am

AgrAde wrote:Goodbye Capra :(
Goodbye Patrol :(
Goodbye Tues :(

Thought you were selling the Nomad?
Conners
User avatar
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Re: Post Your Ride 2018

Postby mudguard on Thu 7/Jun/18 9:42am

Conners wrote:
AgrAde wrote:Goodbye Capra :(
Goodbye Patrol :(
Goodbye Tues :(

Thought you were selling the Nomad?


That's a big sell off?

Dougal wrote:
mudguard wrote:I don't know if I've ridden my bike up to the lookout? The only time I remember was on one of yours, and I got a third of the way up before remembering there was a granny ring!


You've had that Enduro down here riding at least 3x. It would have been second to last with your ex.


I'll have to trawl Strava and Google Photos!
mudguard
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Re: Post Your Ride 2018

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Thu 7/Jun/18 10:07am

Conners wrote:
AgrAde wrote:Goodbye Capra :(
Goodbye Patrol :(
Goodbye Tues :(

Thought you were selling the Nomad?


Hence why the visit will be brief
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Re: Post Your Ride 2018

Postby Conners on Thu 7/Jun/18 1:34pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:
Conners wrote:
AgrAde wrote:Goodbye Capra :(
Goodbye Patrol :(
Goodbye Tues :(

Thought you were selling the Nomad?


Hence why the visit will be brief

I'm wondering what the wonderbike replacement for all of those could be though?
I thought that was what the Capra was?
Conners
User avatar
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Re: Post Your Ride 2018

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 7/Jun/18 2:01pm

Goodbye to test Capra, hello to new one?
Velocipedestrian
User avatar
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Re: Post Your Ride 2018

Postby AgrAde on Thu 7/Jun/18 2:12pm

Demo Capra was a sluzzy. Her identical twin is all for me :love:

Mail order ride should be here in 5-6 weeks.
AgrAde
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Re: Post Your Ride 2018

Postby Conners on Thu 7/Jun/18 4:05pm

Ahhhh gotcha - I thought your Capra post the other day was your very own one.
Phew - thought you'd had some kind of financial crisis :blink:
Conners
User avatar
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Cycling - Latest Posts

Who is online

49 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot] and 47 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle