Re: Possum Tossing, Right Or Wrong?

Postby crazychris on Mon 17/Aug/09 8:52pm

Joshguy01 wrote:They are indeed introduced pest species

oddly enough, it took several attempts to get them established. I think, from hazy memory, it was about 6 attempts with groups of mixed sex possums to get the damn things to survive the years. They devleoped a tatse for the navive flora and fauna and the rest is population explosion.

A wee while ago, I spotted a possum on a tree while nite riding in Bottle Lake (for the second time in a couple of months) and this time stopped and hunted for a log to bash it to death with. Damn thing made off before I found a suitable weight branch. Would have made for a great image for any riders comeing up behind me!
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby slidecontrol on Mon 17/Aug/09 8:58pm

if only we could get permission to shoot in the redwoods ( I've asked :( )

I could retire off the possum fur in there..
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Jim on Mon 17/Aug/09 9:02pm

Throw the little f***kers. Saw a good one on possum bait line in Makara on Saturday.

do not read if offeneded with ease.

mum dead in trap, hairless dead newborn, no more than a couple of hours old, suckling on mums tit, yay 2 for the price of 1.
Jim
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby istepinyards on Mon 17/Aug/09 9:25pm

crazychris wrote:

oddly enough, it took several attempts to get them established. I think, from hazy memory, it was about 6 attempts with groups of mixed sex possums to get the damn things to survive the years. They devleoped a tatse for the navive flora and fauna and the rest is population explosion.

A wee while ago, I spotted a possum on a tree while nite riding in Bottle Lake (for the second time in a couple of months) and this time stopped and hunted for a log to bash it to death with. Damn thing made off before I found a suitable weight branch. Would have made for a great image for any riders comeing up behind me!
Again not the thread topic but hey who cares right.
What was the reason they were introduced in the first place? There usually is one albeit a fucking retarded reason

Question for both magpies and possums is why
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby Jim on Mon 17/Aug/09 9:52pm

Fur industry.
Jim
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby ArjanH on Mon 17/Aug/09 10:03pm

slidecontrol wrote:if only we could get permission to shoot in the redwoods ( I've asked :( )

I could retire off the possum fur in there..

That and friggin wallabies ... is their fur any good?

ooops to stay on subject ... can we throw wallabies too?
ArjanH
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby Mr_Bob on Mon 17/Aug/09 10:06pm

Jim wrote:Throw the little f***kers. Saw a good one on possum bait line in Makara on Saturday.

do not read if offeneded with ease.

=} mum dead in trap, hairless dead newborn, no more than a couple of hours old, suckling on mums tit, yay 2 for the price of 1.

The only good possum is a dead possum :sneaky:
throw them, biff them, stomp on them, or just kill them :satan:
can't understand how they are a protected species in australia :eh:
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 17/Aug/09 10:19pm

I'm concerned for the following reasons:

1) I think that even dead, pest animals should be treated with some respect. I don't mind eating animals, wearing them, mounting them on the wall etc, but competitions involving throwing their recently dead corpses for amusement crosses some sort of line.
2) I worry that such practices might lead to people mistreating live possums. They're alive, and they're capable of suffering... And even though we do (and should) cull them as humanely as possible, we shouldn't abuse them. It's not cool.
3) Possums are riddled with the buggies that can cause TB in people you retards. You don't want to go playing around with those things any more than you can avoid, especially with kids around. Mongs.

I am entirely in favour of hippy tossing, but I think tossing ACT voters would be even funnier.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby j2hyde on Mon 17/Aug/09 11:23pm

Best ever justification for 1080. Pity it's even necessary
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby slidecontrol on Tue 18/Aug/09 7:21am

happybaboon wrote:

2) I worry that such practices might lead to people mistreating live possums. They're alive, and they're capable of suffering... And even though we do (and should) cull them as humanely as possible, we shouldn't abuse them. It's not cool.

j2hyde wrote:Best ever justification for 1080. Pity it's even necessary

1080 is completely at odds with the points above, quite possibly one of the cruelest poisons around. there are better solution ( such as pindone to name but one )

unless J2h was referring to the hippies/politicians?
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Trail on Tue 18/Aug/09 9:33am

istepinyards wrote:
crazychris wrote:

Again not the thread topic but hey who cares right.
What was the reason they were introduced in the first place? There usually is one albeit a fucking retarded reason

Question for both magpies and possums is why

Magpies got blown over the ditch from Australia... so not native, but not introduced by humans...
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby onyabike on Tue 18/Aug/09 11:48am

Perhaps we should replace cash in NZ - with possum fur? Walk into LBS with big bag of fluff - walk out with small piece of bling. Could work.
onyabike
"logging capital of nz"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby happybaboon on Tue 18/Aug/09 1:23pm

slidecontrol wrote:
happybaboon wrote:

j2hyde wrote:Best ever justification for 1080. Pity it's even necessary

1080 is completely at odds with the points above, quite possibly one of the cruelest poisons around. there are better solution ( such as pindone to name but one )

unless J2h was referring to the hippies/politicians?

Yeah, but we've got to kill them somehow in order to preserve native species. 1080 is cheap, effective, can be applied to a wide area, and it doesn't hang around the environment for too long. So I think the possums die in as humane a manner as possible.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Yogi on Tue 18/Aug/09 1:40pm

Trail wrote:
Magpies got blown over the ditch from Australia... so not native, but not introduced by humans...

Are you sure? If they got here by their own power (blown) that makes them native, e.g. like wax eyes/silver eyes who were blown across from Tasmania in the last couple of hundred years... makes them native but not endemic.

I think Magpies were introduced as NZ's bird life was considered too dull, so the acclimatisation societies went about introducing crappy boring species such as blackbirds, thrushes, mynas, sparrows, magpies, etc as they are SOooooOO much nicer (plus reminded all the settlers of home).
Yogi
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Trail on Tue 18/Aug/09 1:45pm

Oh, Wiki says they were introduced

Magpies were introduced into New Zealand in the 1860s and are proving to be a pest by displacing native birds

I must have been thinking of some other birdy...
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Local Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts