Re: A Possible Move To Wellington

Postby cruiser on Mon 18/Jun/12 11:26am

Just read your previous posts. Schools in T'Bay are shit really. If the Porirua area is what you're after because of lock ups etc look Whitby, Papakowhai, Paremata, plimmerton. There are cheaper and more expensive houses in these areas.

Pauatahanui / Judgeford has big semi-rural sections but tough finding a cheap one although combined lock up/ house could be worthwhile?
cruiser
User avatar
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Re: A Possible Move To Wellington

Postby RHR_Rob on Mon 18/Jun/12 11:35am

cruiser wrote:Local tracks are - Colonial knob which has a few tracks but more being built, should be top notch in a few years, there are access points to makara along skyline or ohariu valley road, battlehill (north of porirua) and belmont (hutt valley) for longer rides.

Some smaller loops around Whitby, Whitirea park, Tawa etc. And there are some tech little loops behind Elsdon that the moto guys have carved out - one short descent has a few rolled cars for effect then exits via a stream onto a street - area is very raw, has potential.

Road riding is fine. with it being a destination doesn't get through traffic. Less cars parked on roadsides and more space in shoulders than some areas. It's 20-30min drive to most places otherwise.

As far as physical location goes hard to beat: Sunny, one surf beach, one picnic beach, hills, harbour. There is a rough side to the bay and a semi-decent side. Realistically your experience will depend on the street - what streets is she looking at?


dont know what street depends whats for rent where, something with carved lions ether side of the 500m drive will be fine, oh and i want a swimming pool.
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Re: A Possible Move To Wellington

Postby cruiser on Mon 18/Jun/12 11:38am

lol, there are actually a few in the bay close* to that :D
cruiser
User avatar
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Re: A Possible Move To Wellington

Postby RHR_Rob on Mon 18/Jun/12 12:51pm

cruiser wrote:Just read your previous posts. Schools in T'Bay are shit really. If the Porirua area is what you're after because of lock ups etc look Whitby, Papakowhai, Paremata, plimmerton. There are cheaper and more expensive houses in these areas.
Pauatahanui / Judgeford has big semi-rural sections but tough finding a cheap one although combined lock up/ house could be worthwhile?


is that getting a bit out of town for tracks though? if i have to live in Welly i dont want to be miles from decent trails. bearing in mind i have no idea what trails are where......
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Re: A Possible Move To Wellington

Postby .I. on Mon 18/Jun/12 1:08pm

RHR_Rob wrote: bearing in mind i have no idea what trails are where......



http://tracks.org.nz/region/show/1, this might help
.I.
User avatar
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Re: A Possible Move To Wellington

Postby cruiser on Mon 18/Jun/12 1:17pm

I'm definitely not trying to sell one area over another. But the mentioned areas are probably better than Titahi Bay for weekday dirt track rides though and defo better for schools than t'bay. The older the kids the worse the schooling in t/bay. If you had college kids I'd def suggest Karori for access to Wgtn Girls/ Boys.

Those places have good access to a few dirt explore missions but still got to get out on 20-30min drives to get the 'decent' bike park singletrack.
cruiser
User avatar
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Re: A Possible Move To Wellington

Postby RHR_Rob on Mon 18/Jun/12 1:38pm

is it a myth about the weather or should i buy a good rain jacket and new thermals??
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Re: A Possible Move To Wellington

Postby Colin on Mon 18/Jun/12 4:11pm

Wellington is great on a good day - but don't wait for them before you do stuff (you need to be in nelson for that)

Weather determines where I ride, not whether I ride.

Jackets - I have a few. And shoes, coz the ones I wore yesterday aren't always dry. Nor the day before.
Colin
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Re: A Possible Move To Wellington

Postby dyl on Mon 18/Jun/12 5:29pm

Hi mate

couple of things to consider with titahi bay (i know i live there but moving out!)

pros
- nice beach
- better weather then rest of welly
- cheap houses
- nice supereasy loop track round whitereia park

cons
- quite rough
- bit of a commute into town
- schools are rough
- not a lot of tracks around apart from the ones in the above post (nice post)

The reason we are moving is I have some littlies and the schools are too rough. If we were going to stay we were going to try and get them into Paremata school, so it is doable. And the other reason is Im sick of the commute. We are moving to Newlands which a lot of people dont like, but the benefits for me are great schools and close enough to ride to work. Dont know much about tracks round there but according to tracks.org.nz there are some. I will probably just drive to Makara or Wainui anyways.

Going to miss being able to run down the road for a surf tho!!
dyl
Member for: 7 years 5 months

Re: A Possible Move To Wellington

Postby Farm on Mon 18/Jun/12 5:31pm

Lots of wet weather gear and thermals are a good investment. I moved here 10 years ago and the weather was worse than I'd imagined. I'd only ever visisted on a couple of those near perfect days Wellington has about 6 times a year :p
If I were working in town I'd live in Karori, good biking, handy to Makara Peak Park other trails. Good bike shop, shopping centre which covers most of your needs and pretty handy to the city. The sections are probably smaller than you'd get in the Hutt Valley or Porirua and less likely to have a garage or off street parking but more chance than other suburbs close to the city.
Farm
User avatar
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Re: A Possible Move To Wellington

Postby RHR_Rob on Mon 18/Jun/12 8:16pm

dyl wrote:Hi mate

couple of things to consider with titahi bay (i know i live there but moving out!)

pros
- nice beach
- better weather then rest of welly
- cheap houses
- nice supereasy loop track round whitereia park

cons
- quite rough
- bit of a commute into town
- schools are rough
- not a lot of tracks around apart from the ones in the above post (nice post)

The reason we are moving is I have some littlies and the schools are too rough. If we were going to stay we were going to try and get them into Paremata school, so it is doable. And the other reason is Im sick of the commute. We are moving to Newlands which a lot of people dont like, but the benefits for me are great schools and close enough to ride to work. Dont know much about tracks round there but according to tracks.org.nz there are some. I will probably just drive to Makara or Wainui anyways.

Going to miss being able to run down the road for a surf tho!!


So whats Tawa school like? our kids go to a montisori school in chch and tawa has a monti class within the school and a good monti pre school. at the mo these are the factors when looking for school.
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Re: A Possible Move To Wellington

Postby cruiser on Mon 18/Jun/12 8:31pm

yep pretty good. Much of Tawa is a valley nice to get up higher on eastside if can, not the end of the world if cant. Stay away from the cheaper Linden houses, highest rates of theft in porirua area.
Jville has a montessori preschool. There's one in Whitby too by the football fields (mana) and there's a Raphael house in Hutt (Rudolph Steiner).
cruiser
User avatar
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Re: A Possible Move To Wellington

Postby mudlover/hater on Mon 18/Jun/12 10:30pm

Wainui Trail Project is always coming along in leaps and bounds... There's only a few very small pockets of 'dodgy-ness' there and I'm sure after a couple of weeks slog over the hill for your cycle commute, you'll be hard as nails mate....

However i would never ride up the road. Always the dirt/gravel shoulder. There's some real hoons that rip up and down that hill at times eh....

Plus it's cheap as chips rent wise and mortgage wise...
mudlover/hater
User avatar
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Re: A Possible Move To Wellington

Postby Conners on Mon 18/Jun/12 10:45pm

I reckon you should move to Avalon :p
Here's one I prepared earlier
Conners
User avatar
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Re: A Possible Move To Wellington

Postby RHR_Rob on Tue 19/Jun/12 7:36am

That bath looks excellent for washing bikes down in and i could set my P lab up in one of the bedrooms.... pits its not a rental :-(
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Tramping - Latest Posts

Who is online

49 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot] and 47 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop