Possible Internet Fraud

Postby ape on Tue 7/Jun/05 11:48pm

I've been looking at buying a bike frame from a store in England called tijoncycles, with a webpage, tijoncycles.com

I found them through ebay, advertising very good deals on last year's model frames from lotsa manufacturers.

they might be legit, but the more I think about it, the more I think they might not. So I'm doing a little research, getting one of my english relatives to check them out. and have also emailed squaretrade to check up on them.

They want to use a escrow company called "online express delivery", (oexpdelivery.com) who's website has dissapeared, but is now present at BT-delivery.com

has anyone dealt with any of these companies, and had good or bad expirences?
it'd be great to hear from anyone who knows anything about the subject

cheers
ape
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 8/Jun/05 12:08am

warning Will Robinson.

a guy posted up here about six or so months ago AFTER he got ripped off.. sounds like a similar "deal"

cant find the thread.....

be very bloody careful
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby spg on Wed 8/Jun/05 2:05am

Hmmmm ... it's probably dodgy. I can't find it in the yellow pages over here, they only have a toll free number (no shop number) and every single page on the website is "updating, contact us for model you require" which seems suspicious as well.

If I remember I will head over that way on Sunday and do a walk/ride past, but I would say forget it.

I can recommend Chain reaction and wiggle if you want mail order.

Depending on your frame wishes I would look in NZ first.
spg
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Tama on Wed 8/Jun/05 7:07am

Exactly the same people who ripped off Nic. Same photo-shopped photo of their "shop" and all. It sucks that they are still operational.

When dealing with people like this say things like "My friend/ father/ partner is going to be flying through London on the way home to New Zealand. Can you send me your address so they can drop in and pay for/ pick up my bike?"

Or ask if they have something in stock that doesn't exist - "Do you have the Gemini with the 'HeadShok Super Fatty Ultra DL' option?" As you've just asked for a freeride bike fitted with a short travel XC race fork if they don't pick up on that they're stupid. Frame sizes which don't exist is another good one.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby Nordy on Wed 8/Jun/05 7:11am

Nordy
"Canon + me = <3"
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby Mr_Sizzle on Wed 8/Jun/05 7:38am

Nordy wrote:here is a link to the other thread http://www.vorb.org.nz/modules.php?name ... ic&t=17719

did nic ever get his bike?
Mr_Sizzle

Postby Tama on Wed 8/Jun/05 7:41am

mummy wrote:did nic ever get his bike?
There was no bike - Nic was ripped off by internet fraudsters and lost his money.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby Mr_Sizzle on Wed 8/Jun/05 7:47am

:(
Mr_Sizzle

Postby ape on Wed 8/Jun/05 8:13am

yep.., it looks like it is dodgy. it's got the same quote from "james" a happy customer from NZ. as one of the old scam sites had.

so guys, take a look at the site, and bt-delivery,com and remember what they look like.
ape

Postby Dazzle on Wed 8/Jun/05 9:14am

I had a bit to do with a UK mtb forum site over here, and the moderators were removing scam for sale posts on just about a weekly basis. :(

Its a big anonymous market over here. In NZ, the mtb scene is small enough that if you don't know someone, then you quite possibly do know someone who knows someone who knows them.
Dazzle
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 8/Jun/05 1:48pm

Interesting looking at who registered some of these fraudulent shops domain names, they is all in Texas/New Mexico/Tennasee - Damned rednecks :sly: - Bet they're thick enough to have put their own addresses in there in some cases though :satan:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby jonts on Wed 8/Jun/05 2:18pm

Classic! That UK bike store looks like it has got a bike in the photo selling for $1239 - dollars! :p
jonts
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby jonts on Wed 8/Jun/05 2:29pm

And even better, if you look at the HTML you can see they used a program to copy the web page from homenext.zoovy.com. It looks very similar but seems to be a real store that sells TVs, and the website actually has pages under the shopping cart etc!

Interestingly the HomeNext store is based in Texas too... :eh:
jonts
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 8/Jun/05 2:33pm

out of curiosity, what did you search to get the previous thread ???

I tried last night to no avail (though it was quite late)
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby Nordy on Wed 8/Jun/05 2:36pm

ebay and money
Nordy
"Canon + me = <3"
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts