Re: Port Hills Road Leaderboard 2014/15

Postby Al_Bushman on Wed 10/Sep/14 5:58pm

Just did a cracking time from the base of Gebbies (Teddington side) to top of Bastard. Pity it doesn't count!! :(

On another note - I have a challenge to the speedy chaps like XC Guy etc. It's something I've been trying to achieve for 7 years but always seem to just fall short. Here it is:

Can you ride from the base of Dyers (Colombo Round-a-bout), over to Governers, round to and up Gebbies, up the Bastard to the top cattlestop in under 1hr??

I've come VERY close a number of times. Today I missed it by 52 seconds :angry:

Rules - no stopping - it has to be 1 single sustained effort
Al_Bushman
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby parkerd on Thu 11/Sep/14 7:33am

Problem solved - I had my Gebbies time in the Sumner Mt Pleasant ride and couldn't figure out why I couldn't update my Gebbies time - maybe I can tell myself that I was almost a pro-tour rider but have now come down back to reality
parkerd
Member for: 4 years 1 month

Postby mfw on Thu 11/Sep/14 2:22pm

Al_Bushman wrote:On another note - I have a challenge to the speedy chaps like XC Guy etc. It's something I've been trying to achieve for 7 years but always seem to just fall short. Here it is:

Can you ride from the base of Dyers (Colombo Round-a-bout), over to Governers, round to and up Gebbies, up the Bastard to the top cattlestop in under 1hr??

I've come VERY close a number of times. Today I missed it by 52 seconds :angry:

Rules - no stopping - it has to be 1 single sustained effort

Reminds me of the old Circuits Leaderboard :D - wonder if Tony's still around?
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Al_Bushman on Thu 11/Sep/14 7:30pm

Whoot!! - 4:06 up Kennedys according to Strava. Absolutely smoked it!! :satan: I thought I'd gone sub 4 actually.

Back to the times of old. Watch out XC Guy!! :)
Al_Bushman

Postby Rik on Fri 12/Sep/14 4:14pm

Al_Bushman wrote:Whoot!! - 4:06 up Kennedys according to Strava. Absolutely smoked it!! :satan: I thought I'd gone sub 4 actually.

Way to go Al. move the the curve up for us old slow coots why don't you. :angry: :p
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby ms on Sun 14/Sep/14 8:12pm

Lovely day for riding, so took a the tandem out for a bit of a loop around all the climbs today. Was very slow on the last few, so will have to do the loop in reverse next time to correct this.
ms
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Salamander on Sun 21/Sep/14 5:47pm

Al_Bushman wrote:Whoot!! - 4:06 up Kennedys according to Strava. Absolutely smoked it!! :satan: I thought I'd gone sub 4 actually.

Back to the times of old. Watch out XC Guy!! :)

Must of been a tail wind :p
Salamander
Member for: 3 years 3 months

Postby Rik on Sun 21/Sep/14 6:52pm

Wow, never gone up Kenedy's in a five-something before. I suspect if I attacked that climb with a bit more intelligence, ie. not exploding before the descent, and getting a better run-up and the second part I might be able to eek a bit more out of that one :satan:

A great little afternoon out, until I had a little magpie moment in Tai Tap
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"

Postby malcs on Tue 7/Oct/14 11:09am

I should know this already, but is it a standing start at the bottom or can it be a rolling start? If I download Strava onto my phone, will this help me to record and post times easily? Cheers
malcs
"if you don't puke, you're not trying hard enough"

Postby Al_Bushman on Tue 7/Oct/14 11:24am

malcs wrote:I should know this already, but is it a standing start at the bottom or can it be a rolling start? If I download Strava onto my phone, will this help me to record and post times easily? Cheers

Don't think we're fussy. Most people just use Strava and it records the segment for you. Rolling is fine I believe - unless others believe otherwise.... :)
Al_Bushman

Postby Rik on Tue 7/Oct/14 12:53pm

Al_Bushman wrote:
malcs wrote:I should know this already, but is it a standing start at the bottom or can it be a rolling start? If I download Strava onto my phone, will this help me to record and post times easily? Cheers

Don't think we're fussy. Most people just use Strava and it records the segment for you. Rolling is fine I believe - unless others believe otherwise.... :)

Hell yeah - I couldn't get half the times I've recorded without bolting through the start box(which is actually an imaginary circle) at 40kph ;). Just so long as your initial speed is self attained, no tow-ins
Rik

Postby Rik on Tue 7/Oct/14 1:56pm

malcs wrote:If I download Strava onto my phone, will this help me to record and post times easily? Cheers

Yup, once the ativity has been synced with Strava.
Select the activity.
Click the spanner icon then select Export GPX.

you can either drag the downloaded GPX file into the upload box or click browse and browse to where you downloaded the GPX file to.
Then press Upload

It'll then pick up any leaderboard climbs you did in the ride and update the leaderboard accordingly
Rik

Postby XCguy on Thu 9/Oct/14 12:28pm

I thought this was a nice wee summary of how to climb well so thought I'd share it here for those who may want some tips...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WO9Cut ... pRqM4dtlDC
XCguy
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby malcs on Wed 15/Oct/14 1:30am

Nice ride up Bstd on Sunday. Beautiful actually. Managed to operate Strava and even uploaded GPX on my 3rd attempt. Time not too bad considering the amount of riding achieved lately. :)
malcs

Postby malcs on Wed 22/Oct/14 7:59am

Pre dawn start was a good way to beat the traffic on Dyers pass, but legs cold until nearly at the Kiwi for the 2nd time!
malcs

Cycling | Leaderboards | Road Cycling - Latest Posts