sorted , i think
bastard finish.jpg
malcs
"if you don't puke, you're not trying hard enough"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Re: Port Hills Road Leaderboard 2013/14

Postby Rik on Wed 18/Sep/13 10:18pm

The climb does finish at the cattlestop

The datum point for the finish was taken from the old (incorrect) MMR trace, because I don't have many traces for that ride myself, funny that.

The correct point is 172.6241,-43.66611 or can somebody give me a definitive point. It is where the road just crosses into the tree line. I have updated the point and if you re-upload you GPX it will pick up you're correct time.

Sorry for the inconvenience I hope you didn't loose TOO much sleep over it all :blush:
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby noel_whiteside on Thu 19/Sep/13 9:12am

We got up Maj A last night with new season bests.
My 17kg commuter really struggles up that climb. Teresa disappeared up the hill far to quickly.
noel_whiteside
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby malcs on Thu 19/Sep/13 10:04pm

Rik wrote:
Sorry for t' inconvenience I hope ye didn't loose TOO much sleep over it all :blush:

Phew! I can sleep easy tonight!
bastard.jpg
malcs

Postby Slapheid on Fri 20/Sep/13 9:54pm

Managed to take a detour on the way home from work and get a time in for Dyers-Worselys.
To be honest I don't think I will take the commuter down Flying Nun again; had a few eyeball issues in the bumpier sections...
Slapheid
"Good things come to those who gate."
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Slapheid on Fri 20/Sep/13 9:58pm

Ha! Just checked, I'm only 20sec quicker down Nun on the 29er. :paranoid:
Suspension, pah!
Slapheid
"Good things come to those who gate."
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Trees on Sat 21/Sep/13 1:37pm

Turned the boat racing on this morning to see what all the fuss is about, then realised it's boring and went for a ride instead...

It was a bit too much of a head wind to go for a good time up the Bastard & my legs weren't feeling great but at least quicker than my last ride up there. Now off to somewhere hot & sunny for the next couple of weeks :D
Trees
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby Claude on Sat 21/Sep/13 8:16pm

Tested the 45second theory MFW on Dyers this morning - and failed miserably. Legs of lead today, but a time on the board. Is about 3mins slower than what I did a couple of years back. A lotta work to do!

Bloody Metservice forecast - they said no rain till afternoon. It was warm enough, but was a bit damp by the time I got home!
Claude
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby mtbsurveyor on Mon 23/Sep/13 2:40pm

Cheers Rik,
That made quite a difference with the correct coords when I reloaded my GPX file - that's the easiest 90 sec I've ever lost... :sly:

Rik wrote:The climb does finish at the cattlestop

The datum point for the finish was taken from the old (incorrect) MMR trace, because I don't have many traces for that ride myself, funny that.

The correct point is 172.6241,-43.66611 or can somebody give me a definitive point. It is where the road just crosses into the tree line. I have updated the point and if you re-upload you GPX it will pick up you're correct time.

Sorry for the inconvenience I hope you didn't loose TOO much sleep over it all :blush:
mtbsurveyor
Member for: 6 years 1 month

Re: Port Hills Road Leaderboard 2013/14 - Now With Prizes

Postby malcs on Sat 28/Sep/13 10:18am

felt really good going up Mt P early this morning. perfect conditions. loads of other roadies up there this morning. felt so good i almost puked at the top. went down to sumner and up from there too. love these two climbs. much better gradients for me.
malcs

Postby malcs on Sat 5/Oct/13 6:59pm

Finally had the chance to go out to my old favourite. Beautiful day for the b*stard. Very still out there. Lyttleton harbour looking beautiful. Can put the road bike away until next year now ;)
malcs

Postby Rik on Sat 5/Oct/13 9:30pm

malcs wrote:Finally had the chance to go out to my old favourite. Beautiful day for the b*stard. Very still out there. Lyttleton harbour looking beautiful. Can put the road bike away until next year now ;)

WHAT - What kinda madman quits when they are within only 7 seconds behind the leader.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"

Postby malcs on Sat 5/Oct/13 10:54pm

Rik wrote:
WHAT - What kinda madman quits when they are within only 7 seconds behind the leader.

Thought this topic would be a good way to get fit, then I could go back to MTB. But now I saw where I am on the board I start to feel all competitive!

Actually looking at the total time I think I might be 7 seconds ahead of the leader!? Anomaly of the %age calculations I guess. And I was wondering how the power calculations are done. Surely there must be a lot of assumptions? Like rider weight?

Yes anyway, my competitive spirit is telling me to redo some of my weaker climbs. Like Worseley's or something. Wonder when XCguy is going to smash out a few more climbs...?
malcs

Postby Rik on Sun 6/Oct/13 10:20am

Sorry my bad got too excited and didn't read the times closely enough.

but yes the calculations are performed against the climb average. So you can be ahead on time and behind on average. Whatever you are competitive.

Power Calc:
They power use the standard calcs (very close to those used by Strava) for work uphill, rolling resistance and wind resistance. They make a lot of assumptions on the variables in the equations, but the biggest variable is your weight.

You should never ask a lady her age or weight so we make assumptions about weights for males and females(if you tell us your sex). Or you can put in your own weight, all in the profile tab in your User Control Panel if you want a more accurate calculation.
Rik

Postby malcs on Sun 6/Oct/13 12:53pm

Ha ha wow!

Just entered my combined rider + bike weight of 65.6kg and my estimated power outputs all dropped by about 100W !

Just goes to show that my only real advantage is being a featherweight!
malcs

Cycling | Leaderboards | Road Cycling - Latest Posts