Re: Port Hills Fishbone Ride

Postby XCguy on Tue 3/Mar/09 9:37pm

Figured it was time I took up the challenge so today Bizziaz and myself set out on a full fishbone mission. I decided to do it in the reverse order of mfw's suggestion and also include 9 main climbs. My lovely wife dropped us off at the Blue Duck, then after a 10 minute warmup we were into it.

Here are the stats for the fishbone part of the ride...

Total climbing = 2574 m :thumbsup:
Distance = 74.6 km
Time = 3 hr 39 min
Avg speed = a mere 20.6 kph :(
Max 74 kph

1 - Gebbies west side = 8:40 (148% of PB)
2 - Gebbies east side = 6:46 (123% of PB)
3 - B**tard = 17:06 (111% of PB)
4 - Gov to SOK = 17:22 (136% of PB)
5 - Dyers to SOK = 20:20 (124% of PB)
6 - Mt Pleasant Rd = 23:44 (132% of PB)
7 - Sumner to Evans = 9:54 (137% of PB)
8 - Lyttelton to Evans = 12:31 (141% of PB)
9 - Evans to Mt Pleasant = 15:33 (141% of PB)

After a further 25 km to get home the total ride was 100.1 km, 2666 m, 4 hr 33 min, 22.0 kph average

Ride report:
It was hard :blink:
XCguy
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby mfw on Wed 4/Mar/09 12:56pm

XCguy wrote:Figured it was time I took up the challenge so today Bizziaz and myself set out on a full fishbone mission. I decided to do it in the reverse order of mfw's suggestion and also include 9 main climbs. My lovely wife dropped us off at the Blue Duck, then after a 10 minute warmup we were into it.
Ride report:
It was hard :blink:

Oarsome! :thumbsup: Great effort, you've now gone one better than rochie, I'm starting to feel inadequate with my 6 climbs tally :blush:

A few questions...
Are the stats from GPS or mapmyride?
These stats mean the route nicely matches a half Marmotte (5000m ascent in 175km)

At which point did it start to get hard?

So the 3h39m is at bizziaz pace?
mfw
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby XCguy on Wed 4/Mar/09 1:46pm

mfw wrote:A few questions...
Are the stats from GPS or mapmyride?

From bike computer, stopwatch and altimeter. I wish I had a GPS but Santa hasn't bought one down the chimney yet.

mfw wrote:At which point did it start to get hard?

Hmmm, define hard :p I'd say it didn't start to hurt till Mt P Rd, and then I just felt slow after that. No cramp or anything, just no go juice left in the legs, especially on the last two climbs.

mfw wrote:So the 3h39m is at bizziaz pace?

First climb was with her at a very cruisy pace. Then at the saddle she turned left (did all 8 leaderboard climbs but not east Gebbies). I headed down and then back up Gebbies and up the Big B and caught her up just past the top. So both of those climbs were at a faster pace but not pushing it hard by any means as I knew I had to save myself. Was so wanting to push it hard up the B**tard as it was perfect conditions and I felt good enough to take out danose's time :sly: But instead sat back and let my legs spin.

Gov-SOK, I rode to the first switchback with Bizziaz, then took off. Dyers I rode alone but as tempting as it was to wind it up on the second half just sat back and span. I even let a roadie past me without any attempt to chase him down :exclaim:

At the bottom of Mt P I left Bizziaz and rode the next 4 climbs alone. Those 4 in a row after already doing 1400m of climbing is where the jelly legs really started to set in. I wanted to push it harder up the last climb but knowing I still had 25km to get home decided to not do anything silly.

I am keen to do it again now with getting picked up soon after the finish to see what time the whole thing can be done in when more effort is applied. This ride yesterday was more a look-see to find out what climbing all 9 climbs felt like and how much I need to pace myself. Next time I'd take some food with me cos I was getting pretty hungry. Was a great ride that more people should have a go at. Those climbs aren't so bad at a cruisy pace. And you get to see the scenery :)

Super impressed by Bizziaz's effort. She was originally going to pull out early but once she was into it she was determined to complete it and then went one step further and rode home along the tops getting in even more climbing! She is becoming a hill climbing freak :alien: :thumbsup:

And mfw, I didn't manage to get in Maffey's lap at the end. It would have meant I would be getting home in the dark. That's my excuse anyway :p
XCguy

Postby rochie on Wed 4/Mar/09 2:05pm

Epic ride, excellent effort! I didn't do both sides of Gebbies, but then I wasn't dropped off at the bottom of the climb like a pantywaist milquetoast :satan: Best thing about it is not having to do those sodding pinch hills at Allenton!
rochie
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby XCguy on Wed 4/Mar/09 2:14pm

rochie wrote:Epic ride, excellent effort! I didn't do both sides of Gebbies, but then I wasn't dropped off at the bottom of the climb like a pantywaist milquetoast :satan:

lol :lol:

Perhaps you can join me for the next attempt :thumbsup: You too can be a pantywaist milquetoast and get dropped off with me :blush:
XCguy

Postby danose on Wed 4/Mar/09 2:16pm

XCguy wrote:And you get to see the scenery :)

there's SCENERY out there? :eh: I thought the port hills was just a grey coloured blurry thing covered with dancing dots....
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby XCguy on Wed 4/Mar/09 9:36pm

Well blow me down, I felt great today. Even spent over 3 hours trailbuilding this evening and still feel great. What's with that? Huh? Clearly I didn't push myself hard enough yesterday on that little fishbone ride :blush:

I honestly wasn't expecting to be able to walk all that well today, and especially not be able to swing a grubber this evening. Hmmmm :hmmm:

I'd like to do the same ride again but try and stay under 120% of PB times for all 9 climbs. For that I might need danose there to help motivate me to really dig it in when the hurt factor is maxing out. Nothing like having the threat of an old man pass you up a climb to make you find some more energy from nowhere :sly:
XCguy

Postby mfw on Wed 4/Mar/09 10:52pm

XCguy wrote:Hmmm, define hard :p I'd say it didn't start to hurt till Mt P Rd, and then I just felt slow after that. No cramp or anything, just no go juice left in the legs, especially on the last two climbs.
At the bottom of Mt P I left Bizziaz and rode the next 4 climbs alone. Those 4 in a row after already doing 1400m of climbing is where the jelly legs really started to set in. I wanted to push it harder up the last climb but knowing I still had 25km to get home decided to not do anything silly.

Ah yes I remember the feeling well... The thing I found with this ride is that there's very little recovery time (unlike other 'nice' rides) so you have to force yourself to keep the pace down in order to survive - unless you're rochie - or XCguy going at 80% PB pace or something :crazy:

XCguy wrote:I am keen to do it again now with getting picked up soon after the finish to see what time the whole thing can be done in when more effort is applied. This ride yesterday was more a look-see to find out what climbing all 9 climbs felt like and how much I need to pace myself. Next time I'd take some food with me cos I was getting pretty hungry. Was a great ride that more people should have a go at. Those climbs aren't so bad at a cruisy pace. And you get to see the scenery :)

Super impressed by Bizziaz's effort. She was originally going to pull out early but once she was into it she was determined to complete it and then went one step further and rode home along the tops getting in even more climbing! She is becoming a hill climbing freak :alien: :thumbsup:

And mfw, I didn't manage to get in Maffey's lap at the end. It would have meant I would be getting home in the dark. That's my excuse anyway :p

Done on no fuel that's even more impressive - I was eating every half hour when I did it - gives you something to look forward to :D :paranoid:
The other thing I remember about the ride was that I was glad I'd done it but had no great urge to repeat it in a hurry! Time is a healer though... :hmmm:
No Maffeys finale? :lol:

Anyway, good to hear your report, might give it another crack myself if I can start getting some weekend rides in again.

:hmmm: Meanwhile, Spyders been busy elsewhere by the look of it...
mfw
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Canterbury | Christchurch | Cycling | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Port Hills | Regions | Road Cycling - Latest Posts