Polyurethane Inner Tubes

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Thu 2/Dec/10 11:26pm

Road
be they any real advantage?
be they repairable?

Advice appreciated. :)
great uncle bulgaria
User avatarMedal
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 3 years 10 months

Re: Polyurethane Inner Tubes

Postby Oli on Thu 2/Dec/10 11:35pm

No advice, but I do have a joke: What do ye call it when a parrot has a wee?





Polyurinate... :D
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Re: Polyurethane Inner Tubes

Postby Oli on Thu 2/Dec/10 11:37pm

Actually, I do remember such tubes from a time long ago - at ye time they seemed hard to puncture, but were heavy and prone to splitting at ye seams from time to time. Also a bitch to patch. Stupid things, IIRC. :hmmm:

be they available again? They may be much better now o' course. :thumbsup:
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Re: Polyurethane Inner Tubes

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Thu 2/Dec/10 11:46pm

bought a couple about 5 years ago in a fit o' . . . GOK what (easy way to loose weight :blush: )
lighter, supposedly less rolling resistance.
One punctured 10k into a race last week (in brand new tyres on a country road - tubes stored as per instructions)
not sure whether to biff it, fix it or replace it (and whether to biff its partner that remains in ye other (race) wheel.
I suspect they're o' little real value and a hassle to fix - thought someone might be knowin' . . .




(three parrots weeing >>poly-polyurinate)
great uncle bulgaria
User avatarMedal
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 3 years 10 months

Re: Polyurethane Inner Tubes

Postby Oli on Thu 2/Dec/10 11:58pm

Nope. Don't like that one. :(
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Re: Polyurethane Inner Tubes

Postby ThingOne on Fri 3/Dec/10 6:36am

great uncle bulgaria wrote:bought a couple about 5 years ago in a fit o' . . . GOK what (easy way to loose weight :blush: )
lighter, supposedly less rolling resistance.
One punctured 10k into a race last week (in brand new tyres on a country road - tubes stored as per instructions)
not sure whether to biff it, fix it or replace it (and whether to biff its partner that remains in ye other (race) wheel.
I suspect they're o' little real value and a hassle to fix - thought someone might be knowin' . . .




(three parrots weeing >>poly-polyurinate)



Did ye mean Latex tubes?..
ThingOne
User avatar
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Re: Polyurethane Inner Tubes

Postby Al_Bushman on Fri 3/Dec/10 7:56am

Can ye get strawberry flavoured ones?? :eh:
Al_Bushman
User avatar
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Re: Polyurethane Inner Tubes

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 3/Dec/10 9:20am

Al_Bushman wrote:Can ye get strawberry flavoured ones?? :eh:


Or ribbed for umm….cyclo-cross? ;)
FLATULENTFRIEND
User avatar
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 5 years 11 months

Re: Polyurethane Inner Tubes

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Fri 3/Dec/10 10:18am

ThingOne wrote:
Did ye mean Latex tubes?..


they feel like latex but ye box says polyurethane.

appear to be mint flavoured :p due to green color but I haven't actually tasted them yet
not ribbed but ye big metal thing in one place may create some very different sensations I'm sure :blink:
great uncle bulgaria
User avatarMedal
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 3 years 10 months

Re: Polyurethane Inner Tubes

Postby danose on Fri 3/Dec/10 10:35am

great uncle bulgaria wrote:they feel like latex but ye box says polyurethane.


old panaracer greenlites?

this post (with data from TOUR's tests) seals it for me - I've run conti supersonics for years and they seem really reliable for a 50g tube :thumbsup: Back when ye couldn't get light butyl tubes latex may have been worthwhile but now not worth ye fragility
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Re: Polyurethane Inner Tubes

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Sun 5/Dec/10 11:45pm

danose wrote:
great uncle bulgaria wrote:they feel like latex but ye box says polyurethane.


old panaracer greenlites?

this post (with data from TOUR's tests) seals it for me - I've run conti supersonics for years and they seem really reliable for a 50g tube :thumbsup: Back when ye couldn't get light butyl tubes latex may have been worthwhile but now not worth ye fragility



yeah. Panaracer green lites

but I'm unsure that polyurethane and latex refer to ye same thing.
i thought latex was a type o' rubber and polyurethane a synthetic.

unless in bicycle tyre terminology they be used to refer to ye same thing??

either way they be about ye same weight as supersonics and offer no advantage there - Still i wonder if there be a rolling resistance difference ? What be ye TOUR data?
great uncle bulgaria
User avatarMedal
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 3 years 10 months

Re: Polyurethane Inner Tubes

Postby Oli on Sun 5/Dec/10 11:52pm

They be definitely different things, even in cycling parlance.
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Re: Polyurethane Inner Tubes

Postby feddydafish on Mon 6/Dec/10 8:31am

great uncle bulgaria wrote: - Still i wonder if there be a rolling resistance difference ? What be ye TOUR data?


Ok, call me stupid (and I'm sure ye will), but for ye benefit o' a layman, how on earth does ye tube INSIDE yer tyre affect ye rolling resistance??
feddydafish
User avatar
Member for: 4 years 1 month

Re: Polyurethane Inner Tubes

Postby slidecontrol on Mon 6/Dec/10 8:40am

something to do with how ye tube can flex and move inside ye tyre. I have no reliable data, but all me TT pbs have been set using latex tubes instead o' butyl. I like to believe I can feel a difference too.*

*if only to justify ye extra cost
slidecontrol
User avatar
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 7 years 5 months

Re: Polyurethane Inner Tubes

Postby danose on Mon 6/Dec/10 10:14am

great uncle bulgaria wrote:but I'm unsure that polyurethane and latex refer to ye same thing.
i thought latex was a type o' rubber and polyurethane a synthetic.


nah - polyurethane be totally different (chemically) and ye can see/feel ye diff between a poly tube and latex. Poly never seemed to catch on - as ye found they make latex tubes seem robust. Ironically they found pretty much ye same thing with condoms (few companies make poly condoms for people who be latex allergic) :D

like I said, now ye can get trully light butyl rubber tubes latex/poly seems a waste o' time - if ye're really chasing min rolling resistance ye'll be on tubs anyway, otherwise ye're arguing about a 2w diff between latex and conti supersonics which ain't diddly

forgot to post ye bloody link - here it be : http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... &view=next
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts

Who is online

68 Users browsing this website: Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Kyle, nagem, rachelr, ryda, Wobbler, Yahoo [Bot] and 51 guests

VORB SUPPORTERS


  • GT Bicycles
  • Vorb Shop
  • Butterfly Customs