Police Stopping Cyclists At The Bottom Of Ngaio Gorge?

Postby Biker in blue on Fri 28/Mar/14 8:28am

Anyone get stopped? What did they stop you for?
Biker in blue
Member for: 6 years 7 months

Re: Police Stopping Cyclists At The Bottom Of Ngaio Gorge?

Postby Tugboat on Fri 28/Mar/14 11:06am

I saw them there a couple of weeks ago. I assume it is for cyclists and motorcyclists crossing the double yellow lines on the way down.

I drive up that way in the mornings on the days I'm not biking and have lost count of the number of close calls with people coming down on bikes who are on the wrong side of the road. Don't have any problems at all with the police putting a bit into enforcement there.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby michael on Fri 28/Mar/14 11:19am

I wonder if they are handing tickets on on hearsay.
michael
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Klarkash-ton on Fri 28/Mar/14 11:52am

cars pass me on double yellow lines all the time!

then move over to the left while stationary so I can't get past them...
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Fri 28/Mar/14 1:00pm

>> cars pass me on double yellow lines all the time!

It is legal for a car to cross a solid yellow line if necessary to pass a bicycle. Just not to pass an animal-drawn cart or a motor vehicle.

>> then move over to the left while stationary so I can't get past them...

It is legal for a car to be inconsiderate.

The 2013 Cyclists' Code says bikes may pass on the left within a lane if other vehicles are turning right. I guess that means where a right-turn option is available for that lane.

When passing moving or stationary vehicles, ... Always pass on the right unless lanes allow passing on the left, or when other vehicles are turning right.
But they go on to warn against sneaking up the inside of trucks which might be turning left, which recognises the fact that cyclists often do pass on the left.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby Klarkash-ton on Fri 28/Mar/14 1:30pm

I wasn't apologising on behalf of anyone
Klarkash-ton

Postby Kyle on Fri 28/Mar/14 6:50pm

Simonius_Titius wrote:>> cars pass me on double yellow lines all the time!

It is legal for a car to cross a solid yellow line if necessary to pass a bicycle. Just not to pass an animal-drawn cart or a motor vehicle.

You're being sarcastic right? If not please hand your license to the nearest 6 year old with a pair of scissors for destruction.
Kyle
"Rated R for pervasive extreme drug use and related bizarre behavior, strong language, and brief nudity"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby znomit on Fri 28/Mar/14 7:44pm

Klarkash-ton wrote:cars pass me on double yellow lines all the time!

Tell me more about this moving while stationary behaviour.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Klarkash-ton on Fri 28/Mar/14 8:50pm

Kyle wrote:

You're being sarcastic right? If not please hand your license to the nearest 6 year old with a pair of scissors for destruction.

no, that is the lettering of the law. Also it is legal to pass a motor vehicle or animal-drawn cart on the right if you do not cross the yellow line. So cyclists passing on the right are in the right, as long as they don't stray. But motorists hate this and will move to block. or just do a U-turn without looking.
Klarkash-ton

Postby Klarkash-ton on Fri 28/Mar/14 8:51pm

znomit wrote:
Klarkash-ton wrote:cars pass me on double yellow lines all the time!

Tell me more about this moving while stationary behaviour.

you got me, it's a fair cop.
Klarkash-ton

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Fri 28/Mar/14 9:06pm

Klarkash-ton wrote:no, that is the lettering of the law.

Citation required.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Kyle on Fri 28/Mar/14 9:39pm

Klarkash-ton wrote:
Kyle wrote:

no, that is the lettering of the law. Also it is legal to pass a motor vehicle or animal-drawn cart on the right if you do not cross the yellow line. So cyclists passing on the right are in the right, as long as they don't stray. But motorists hate this and will move to block. or just do a U-turn without looking.

I'm afraid me and the road code are going to have to disagree with you. Do you also have a small child with a sharp implement nearby?

some drone at the NZTA wrote:You can pass at a no-passing line if:

you stay on your side of the solid yellow line, and
you can see 100 metres of clear road in front of you for the whole time while you are passing, and
the lane is wide enough for two vehicles.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadc ... ssing.html
Kyle
"Rated R for pervasive extreme drug use and related bizarre behavior, strong language, and brief nudity"

Postby Klarkash-ton on Fri 28/Mar/14 11:56pm

I think ST is referring to this:

Land Transport (Road User) Rule 2004

2.9 Passing where roadway marked with no-passing line
(1)This clause applies if a driver is at or approaching a portion of a roadway where the road controlling authority has, in accordance with any enactment, marked a no-passing line applying to traffic moving in the direction in which the driver is moving.
(2)The driver must not pass or attempt to pass a motor vehicle or an animal-drawn vehicle moving in the same direction within the length of roadway on which the no-passing line is marked until the driver reaches the further end of the no-passing line, unless throughout the passing movement the driver keeps the vehicle wholly to the left of the no-passing line.

a cyclist is neither a motor vehicle or animal-drawn vehicle, so...
Klarkash-ton

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sat 29/Mar/14 12:29am

Yes that's the one. It was a surprise to me too when I found it.

Usefully the law also allows drivers to give more clearance for a rider on horseback.
I guess the justification for the law is that cyclists and horse riders are slow, slim and short so a passing driver need not intrude so far onto the wrong side of the road, and can not be stuck there for long.

The Road Code is not the law, it is a simplified guide to the law so has some vagueness and omission of detail.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby Kyle on Sat 29/Mar/14 7:40am

That still doesn't authorise crossing the yellow line just because there is a bicycle nearby. Even were it to read the way you think it does the omission of the word 'cyclists'* would still get shot down by any judge as RAI vs RAW.

*Any decently shady lawyer would argue that cyclists are both motor vehicles and animal-drawn.
Kyle

Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts